PDA

View Full Version : alomar as #1 catcher?

jeremyb1
03-09-2003, 03:12 PM
from the daily southtown:

Though the job seemed to be Miguel Olivo's to lose, it appears Sandy Alomar Jr. is headed toward the Opening Day catching assignment for the Sox.

Asked if it would be an upset for the 36-year-old Alomar to open the season as the No. 1 catcher ahead of the 24-year-old Olivo, Sox manager Jerry Manuel said "No."

"With the acquisitions of the pitchers that we have and the experience on the staff that we have, you want to make sure that is really taken care of, so you hope to have some experience behind the plate," he added.

"Sandy, right now, looks to be in real good shape," Manuel said. "His arm seems to be healthy. He would be a great help to bring a guy like Miguel Olivo along."

you can check out the entire article here (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/091sd4.htm).

this seems like it would be a good way to start the season off on a terrible foot. alomar looks good at the beginning of every season. then he plays 10 games his knees wear down and he's terrible the rest of the season. the only way to get a good performance out of him this season would be to use him as a backup and only play him a couple times a week.

the scenario i can easily envision right now is that we start alomar and keep olivo as the backup with paul being picked up because he's out of options. after a month alomar will go down and then we will be lacking a backup catcher.

this is why signing alomar was an incredible disaster. he's not an every day player and josh paul is not a major league catcher. that means we have absolutely not security if olivo isn't ready. if we would've signed someone like chad kreuter at least we would've known we'd have a capable every day catcher if we needed one.

kermittheefrog
03-09-2003, 03:45 PM
Well I can't really put it better than Jeremy just did.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-09-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Well I can't really put it better than Jeremy just did.

We are a bit thin when it comes to true championship aspirations, aren't we?

Between Alomar's knees and Wright's elbow, we easily could be only a Frank Thomas hitting slump away from another wasted season, .500 ball or whatever. :(:

hose
03-09-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
from the daily southtown:

you can check out the entire article here (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/091sd4.htm).

this seems like it would be a good way to start the season off on a terrible foot. alomar looks good at the beginning of every season. then he plays 10 games his knees wear down and he's terrible the rest of the season. the only way to get a good performance out of him this season would be to use him as a backup and only play him a couple times a week.

the scenario i can easily envision right now is that we start alomar and keep olivo as the backup with paul being picked up because he's out of options. after a month alomar will go down and then we will be lacking a backup catcher.

this is why signing alomar was an incredible disaster. he's not an every day player and josh paul is not a major league catcher. that means we have absolutely not security if olivo isn't ready. if we would've signed someone like chad kreuter at least we would've known we'd have a capable every day catcher if we needed one.

On Talking Baseball today it was mentioned that Manuel intends to have Alomar catch Buehrle and Colon. The Sox may possibly carry 3 catchers and don't be surprised if they end up trading for another one also. The Cubs Bako name came up, a lefthanded stick that could catch 40 games. :?:

TimChamp
03-09-2003, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the catching situation turned out similar to two years ago (contingent on the fact that Paul doesn't get picked up and makes it back to the minors)...

Alomar will be the #1 starter with Olivo (similar to Johnson) being the backup and eventually Olivo becoming #1 after Alomar is told that he needs to have his 10 billionth surgery on both of his knees with Paul then being brought up again as the backup...

Of course a trade is not completely out of the picture either as we have an "influx" of Left Handed relief pitchers...but I would rather have that used for something else...like maybe Vazquez... :D:

Champ out knowing that only in his dreams would that kinda things happen, but eternal hope remains...

doublem23
03-09-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by hose
The Cubs Bako name came up, a lefthanded stick that could catch 40 games. :?:

Huh... Didn't we used to have one of those?

MarkEdward
03-09-2003, 05:48 PM
It's awful to hope that a player goes down to injury, but as frail as Alomar is, Williams may be forced to make a move. Tom Lampkin is still a free agent, and he's known for working well with young pitchers. He can also get on base.

If Kenny wants to make a trade, Ramon Castro can be easily acquired. I don't think Florida is very high on him, and we'd only have to give up a low-level pitcher to get him.

jeremyb1
03-09-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
It's awful to hope that a player goes down to injury, but as frail as Alomar is, Williams may be forced to make a move. Tom Lampkin is still a free agent, and he's known for working well with young pitchers. He can also get on base.

If Kenny wants to make a trade, Ramon Castro can be easily acquired. I don't think Florida is very high on him, and we'd only have to give up a low-level pitcher to get him.

either of those options sounds fine. if we don't think olivo is good enough to catch 100 games for us this year then send him to AAA. it'll only be a matter of time before alomar goes down and he gets called up anyways.

jeremyb1
03-09-2003, 06:00 PM
On Talking Baseball today it was mentioned that Manuel intends to have Alomar catch Buehrle and Colon. The Sox may possibly carry 3 catchers and don't be surprised if they end up trading for another one also. The Cubs Bako name came up, a lefthanded stick that could catch 40 games. :?:

thing is, as far as i can tell there's no way we can keep three catchers unless we cut daubach and i don't see us keeping josh paul over daubach.

czalgosz
03-09-2003, 06:14 PM
thing is, as far as i can tell there's no way we can keep three catchers unless we cut daubach and i don't see us keeping josh paul over daubach.

Could be we'll see Olivo start the year in AAA after all...

The Sox would have been better off signing a decent backup rather than Alomar. An Alomar/ Paul duo is just too disgusting for words.

Daver
03-09-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
An Alomar/ Paul duo is just too disgusting for words.

Come on,you have a guy that comes pre injured and a guy that can't catch a cold,what more could you ask for?

jeremyb1
03-09-2003, 06:38 PM
Could be we'll see Olivo start the year in AAA after all...

The Sox would have been better off signing a decent backup rather than Alomar. An Alomar/ Paul duo is just too disgusting for words.

yeah. i don't think alomar is terrible as a backup but that's all he can serve as at this point in his career. he's not a backup because he's simply a mediocre to below average catcher. if that was the case there'd be no problem. we could just play him and suffer the results. unfortunately its his health that doesn't allow him to play daily. that means we could be forced into a situation where a number of games are caught but josh paul a catcher that's not merely below average but terrible.

hose
03-09-2003, 06:41 PM
thing is, as far as i can tell there's no way we can keep three catchers unless we cut daubach and i don't see us keeping josh
paul over daubach.

They are forced into it because Alomar could break down faster than a Yugo GT doing 65 on the Santa Ana Freeway and Josh is out of options.

If they release Paul some team will pick him up and then they will have to roll the dice till Sandy breaks down and then over pay for a back up catcher.

Ok Jeremy come up with a plan, because Kenny didn't think this one all the way through.

hose
03-09-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Huh... Didn't we used to have one of those?

No problem,I'll start taking bp from the left side

:versatile

TimChamp
03-09-2003, 07:32 PM
No problem,I'll start taking bp from the left side

:versatile

:jerry

That all comes with the package of versatility that is known as Josh Paul...hey, he can be a right/left handed reliever too (whatever the situation calls for) and catch the ball that he throws!!!

Champ out...

czalgosz
03-09-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by daver
Come on,you have a guy that comes pre injured and a guy that can't catch a cold,what more could you ask for?

When I heard about the Foulke trade, I knew the guy the Sox would miss would be Mark Johnson. I know that I'm the charter and sole member of the Mark Johnson Fan Club around here, but wouldn't things look better with him instead of Paul?

What is the organization's fascination with Josh Paul, anyway? I'm as close to a KW supporter as you'll find around here, but he really painted the team into a corner with this one.

doublem23
03-09-2003, 10:12 PM
I agree. Not that I'm any big fan of Johnson, but I remember when that deal went down that while I wasn't very pleased with the swap of Foulke/Koch just on those 2, I was really upset that KW let Johnson go. Unless Miguel really steps up (and who's to say he can't?), losing Mark is really going to hurt this team.

MarkEdward
03-09-2003, 11:07 PM
When I heard about the Foulke trade, I knew the guy the Sox would miss would be Mark Johnson. I know that I'm the charter and sole member of the Mark Johnson Fan Club around here, but wouldn't things look better with him instead of Paul?

Hey, if there's a "Friends of Mark Johnson" club in here, than count me in. I'll be happy to serve as Vice President.

Besides, I have one of his bats (the Garage Sale was good to me).

pudge
03-09-2003, 11:14 PM
I wonder if they're disappointed in what Olivio has shown so far this spring - did anyone see him duck away from a curveball against the Cubs last Saturday? That is bush-league, anybody who can't stay in the box when not expecting a curve is not ready for ML pitching.

jeremyb1
03-10-2003, 02:51 AM
They are forced into it because Alomar could break down faster than a Yugo GT doing 65 on the Santa Ana Freeway and Josh is out of options.

If they release Paul some team will pick him up and then they will have to roll the dice till Sandy breaks down and then over pay for a back up catcher.

Ok Jeremy come up with a plan, because Kenny didn't think this one all the way through.

i guess i'd just wait until alomar goes down and then deal for another catcher or bring a catcher up from AAA that can get the job done once a week and in emergeny or pitch hit situations and catch olivo the rest of the time.

Bmr31
03-10-2003, 03:02 AM
You all make some good points, but come on, even in the worst case scenario, replacing Mark Johnson isnt going to be difficult. Worry about more serious issues..

TimChamp
03-10-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
You all make some good points, but come on, even in the worst case scenario, replacing Mark Johnson isnt going to be difficult. Worry about more serious issues..

Yeah, let's worry about pitching and defense like we always do...hey, Alomar's looking pretty good with the stick out there...who knows, maybe he does have something left in him...or not...

Champ out...

Foulke You
03-10-2003, 01:50 PM

100% agree with this statement. MJ was a servicable defensive catcher but he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. There are plenty of guys like this around baseball, they are a dime a dozen. If Sandy goes down with an injury and Olivo doesn't step up, I'm sure there will be someone floating around the waiver wire that we can pick up that is Mark Johnson esque in ability.

TheBigHurt
03-11-2003, 10:47 AM

i agree with you BMR and how was the trip to ITALY?