PDA

View Full Version : Garage Sale Bargains & Cell Renovations

Brian26
03-09-2003, 01:01 PM
Super great deals at the garage sale yesterday. They were selling old yearbooks, programs, and media guides for 25 cents a piece or 5 for a dollar! I picked up a 2002, 2001, 2000, and 1999 Yearbook, 2 programs from 2001, a 2001 AL Redbook, and a 2002 media guide all for less than 2 bucks.

Went to the gift shop also, and saw all of the improvements for the Cell. Seats are still blue. There are major renovations happening on the outfield concourse and behind the centerfield area. Appears that the scoreboard will still be the same this year...so they must be changing it next year.

CHISOXFAN13
03-09-2003, 02:31 PM
Not sure if I saw the same thing, but it looked to me like the shell of the scoreboard was still intact but everything on it was empty and torn up??? Maybe a bigger jumbotron is on the way? I have no idea.

34 Inch Stick
03-10-2003, 10:42 AM
I saw people buying up those media guides. I have no use for them at any price but if you like them 25 cents was a steal. I didn't find any bargains in the garage sale. Charging $25 for a Chris Singelton bat in unthinkable. Sean Lowe helmet (when did he use that) was $75. If they actually move that crap at those prices, great for the Sox. If not, they need to rethink their approach. Obviously something from Magglio is worth money and people are interested in buying it. Norton/Liefer/Singleton gear should be priced to move.

Brian26
03-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Forgot to mention this previously...

In viewing the park from the concourse on Saturday when we went to the gift shop, we noticed the blue outfield fence was totally torn down, and it appeared the construction crews were building the old "picnic areas" in left center field. There was a new BLACK cyclone fence all the way around the outfield. Also, the fence was twice as tall in front of the Sox bullpen in left field and in front of the Bullpen Sports Bar in right field. It appeared the fence was about 12-feet tall in these two areas.

Something to chew on, I guess.

Kloftom
03-10-2003, 11:50 PM
I know someone who has been working at the site and they said that someone confirmed that a bigger Jumotron is on the way. They are also installing on of those digital advertising light thingys on the concrete between lower deck and club level (Like they have at the United Center. If you drive by there now you can see that it is almost completely installed. :gulp:

dllrbll7
03-10-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Kloftom
I know someone who has been working at the site and they said that someone confirmed that a bigger Jumotron is on the way. They are also installing on of those digital advertising light thingys on the concrete between lower deck and club level (Like they have at the United Center. If you drive by there now you can see that it is almost completely installed. :gulp:

Thanks for the info Kloftom. Did they mention anything about the fence?

voodoochile
03-11-2003, 12:19 AM
I was wondering about the outside of the park. While driving by on the DR, I noticed that the backs (facing toward the DR) of the smaller scoreboards/advertising billboards in left and left center are completely blank. They should paint some pictures of Sox stars on them or at least sell them for advertising and reap the profits. The blank canvas says nothing at all...

With the new black lighttowers, it would be a great place to put some of those black and white photos of old stars and current players they like so much...

dllrbll7
03-11-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I was wondering about the outside of the park. While driving by on the DR, I noticed that the backs (facing toward the DR) of the smaller scoreboards/advertising billboards in left and left center are completely blank. They should paint some pictures of Sox stars on them or at least sell them for advertising and reap the profits. The blank canvas says nothing at all...

With the new black lighttowers, it would be a great place to put some of those black and white photos of old stars and current players they like so much...

I think the black and white photos is a great idea, but the sox probably havent thought of it. I think they should hold public meetings and let us express our opinions on what should be done.

HITMEN OF 77
03-11-2003, 12:56 AM
The photos would be a great idea! Love to see Stanky, Ward and Horlen along with all the Sox HOF's up there too!

LuvSox
03-11-2003, 09:58 AM
Everything sounds great, especially the advertising "thingy" between the seating levels. Can't wait to get there!!!!!!

hsnterprize
03-11-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Forgot to mention this previously...

In viewing the park from the concourse on Saturday when we went to the gift shop, we noticed the blue outfield fence was totally torn down, and it appeared the construction crews were building the old "picnic areas" in left center field. There was a new BLACK cyclone fence all the way around the outfield. Also, the fence was twice as tall in front of the Sox bullpen in left field and in front of the Bullpen Sports Bar in right field. It appeared the fence was about 12-feet tall in these two areas.

Something to chew on, I guess.

Here's an idea for the fence...just like the L.A. Dodgers...why not put black & white pictures of past and current Sox players on that?

hsnterprize
03-11-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Kloftom

The bigger JumboTron and the LED advertising things are cool to look at when they're running. Imagine a scrolling S-O-X logo going up and down that thing like the logos at the United Center and other arenas/stadiums. And with those larger JumboTron screens in newer stadiums and such...why not upgrade. And while the Sox are at it...why not make the whole center field scoreboard a little bigger? I know they won't do that, but it's nice to dream of an imposing scoreboard in center field like in old Comiskey.

soxnut
03-11-2003, 12:01 PM
A few months ago I contacted Dan Polvere at ISFA via email about the backs of the billboards. He said that there is supposed to be another American flag going up on one of the backs of the boards, like they had before. He said the old flag got weather damaged. He also said that it was more than likely the backs of the billboards would not be left white. :smile:

soxnut
03-11-2003, 04:10 PM
Also, as for the LED boards, if you go to whitesox.com, scroll down to the bottom, click on sponsorship, then ballpark signage, there is a photo mock-up of what the LED is going to look like. It's been there for a couple of weeks. It's funny that in the paragraph about it, it doesn't mention that it's new signage. :smile:

dllrbll7
03-11-2003, 09:47 PM
Man my dad was at the park today dropping off something at the Stadium Club or doing a sales call of some sort and he didnt even bother to go over to the windows and look out and see what was bein changed or ask them what was goin on. I let him know how disapointed i was in him.