PDA

View Full Version : Baserunning (again)

Moses_Scurry
08-15-2001, 01:27 PM
Not to be negative after last nights win, but if Jose can't run well enough to get a double on a hit off the wall, then how in the world does he think he can steal second of of IVAN RODRIGUEZ!!!!! And what was with leaving the base so early? Did he really think that IROD wouldn't notice???

MJ could also use a slap upside the head. How many times do you see IROD snap throw to a base in a given game?? MJ should have been on the base without any leadoff at all!!

CubKiller
08-15-2001, 02:14 PM
I was wondering the excact same thing about Jose. My girlfriend asked my why he didn't try for second on what looked like a sure double. I said it was cause he's had hamstring problems for the past few months and he probably didn't wanna re-aggrivate it.

Then he makes the worst/dumbest steal attempt ever and makes not only him look bad, but me too (to my girlfriend)!

No screw-ups tonight. We better sweep these guys.

FarWestChicago
08-15-2001, 02:20 PM
Then he makes the worst/dumbest steal attempt ever and makes not only him look bad, but me too (to my girlfriend)!

I'm sorry. You're not even close here. What about Josh Paul stealing third in Seattle?

voodoochile
08-15-2001, 02:23 PM
Just to be fair, Rowand did it first... Nice jump, but maybe just a little early...

Maybe Myette is on to something. Ignore the baserunners completely and then when they leave way to early, it is an easy pickoff.

Fisk Fan
08-15-2001, 02:28 PM
It looked like they were trying to time Myette's pitching to get a better jump and he waited a bit longer than normal. If you remember, Rowand did the same thing a few innings earlier. An honest mistake, but definately not something you try against I-Rod!!

Paulwny
08-15-2001, 02:29 PM
I thought that they way things have been going that the play at 3rd would be an item we'd be cursing today. One week of st should be dedicated on how to run the bases.

Tree
08-15-2001, 03:08 PM
But is it really the player's fault or the basecoaches'
seriously those guys standing in foul territory are not there for show they need to take some of the responsibility of the base running blunders the sox have been doing all season long

Paulwny
08-15-2001, 03:14 PM
Shouldn't the players be learning from their mistakes and the mistakes of others? I suspect the contact play was on and MJ took a few steps in when he saw Ray was swinging.

Soxboyrob
08-15-2001, 03:51 PM
I don't know about the rest of you but I thoroughly enjoyed watching the cat and mouse game between Buehrle and Kapler when Kapler reached first base in the 7th inning, to later be picked off by Buehrle. He had Gabe running back to first when he was pitching to the plate and breaking for second when he was throwing to first. I've never seen a baserunner look so baffled. It went on for about 4 minutes. After being picked off, Kapler could be seen shaking his head in bewildered disgust in his dugout. It was quite a sight to see.

By the way, I didn't see Buehrle's earlier inning balk. How did it happen? I saw that the runner moved from second to third on the balk. Was it blatant? Was he trying to pick the guy off second?

Moses_Scurry
08-15-2001, 05:03 PM
I missed Rowand getting picked off. They must have been trying to get as early a jump off IROD as they could. It just amazes me how Jose has the aggravated hamstring which inhibits him from taking the extra base, but he still feels that his leg is healthy enough to steal a base off a catcher with one of the best arms of all time. I like aggressiveness, but there is a difference between being aggressive and being stupid.