PDA

View Full Version : Cal Eldred

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-09-2003, 10:03 AM
is back. (http://espn.go.com/gammons/s/2003/0308/1520516.html) The Cardinals are very pleased with pitcher Cal Eldred, who threw four shutout innings Friday. "He can be a major contributor us," says manager Tony LaRussa of the one-time Brewer ace who sat out all last season after hurting his elbow April 12, 2001. That means, with Jason Simontacci and Eldred looking as if they'll be in the rotation, Garrett Stephenson could be an odd man out.

i hope he does well with the cards.

TheBigHurt
03-09-2003, 10:52 AM
CAL had a nice solid year in 2000

hose
03-09-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
is back. (http://espn.go.com/gammons/s/2003/0308/1520516.html)

i hope he does well with the cards.

I became a Cal Eldred fan after the grit he showed pitching for the Sox in 2000.

I hope his comeback is successful

voodoochile
03-09-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by hose
I became a Cal Eldred fan after the grit he showed pitching for the Sox in 2000.

I hope his comeback is successful

I hope so too - Cal is a great guy - but I really doubt he will be around very long. He looked very solid for the Sox in ST 2001 also IIRC. Then when the season started and he went for the extra oomph on his pitches, his arm gave out almost immediately. Maybe the extra time to heal will help him, but I will be seriously surprised if he lasts...

FanOf14
03-09-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I hope so too - Cal is a great guy - but I really doubt he will be around very long. He looked very solid for the Sox in ST 2001 also IIRC. Then when the season started and he went for the extra oomph on his pitches, his arm gave out almost immediately. Maybe the extra time to heal will help him, but I will be seriously surprised if he lasts...

To be honest, he has already surprised me. I didn't think he'd be able to throw more than 2 innings before his arm imploded. I, too, became a big Cal fan after watching him do everything he could to come back and even though it didn't look good for him in coming back, he still traveled a good majority of the time with the team. Good luck Cal!!!

cheeses_h_rice
03-09-2003, 12:50 PM
That is an amazing story. I honestly thought he would never pitch again in the majors...

jeremyb1
03-09-2003, 01:40 PM
i definately hope it goes well for cal but i'd bet just about everything i own that he doesn't appear in 10 games this season, probably not even 5.

doublem23
03-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Good for Cal. Anyone who's got the balls to stick it out like he has deserves a lot of success.

Juan Pizarro
03-10-2003, 09:49 AM
He's a great guy with a ton of guts.
That said, I'll be shocked if he makes more than 10 starts.

dllrbll7
03-10-2003, 10:36 AM
I also jumped on Cals wagon back in 2000. I hope after he finishes playin he comes back and coaches. I really think he could be a great pitchin coach with his own worth ethic and drive so good.

voodoochile
03-10-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
I also jumped on Cals wagon back in 2000. I hope after he finishes playin he comes back and coaches. I really think he could be a great pitchin coach with his own worth ethic and drive so good.

I totally agree...

moochpuppy
03-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Good for Cal. I don't think he'll last long in the rotation and may end up in the pen if his health holds up.

A.T. Money
03-10-2003, 11:58 AM
I enjoyed watching Cal in 2000 as well.

I was at the complete game victory against Cleveland in 2000 when the Sox won 6-0. Cal was still throwing 94 MPH in the 9th.

Foulke You
03-10-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Good for Cal. I don't think he'll last long in the rotation and may end up in the pen if his health holds up.

If the Cards were smart, they'd use him in the pen. His arm might be able to hold up if he is used in short stints. I don't think it can take the pounding of being a starter.

TheBigHurt
03-10-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy

yeah he had a lower ERA then BALDWIN who for some strange reason made the ALL STAR GAME lollllllll

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-10-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
yeah he had a lower ERA then BALDWIN who for some strange reason made the ALL STAR GAME lollllllll

both of them should have been in that game IMO.

gogosoxgogo
03-10-2003, 04:31 PM
I'd like to see Cal back strong with the Cards this year. He was one of my favorite players when with the Sox, he's a great guy. In addition, any time a current or former Sox player can stick it to the Cubs is fine by me.

mike squires
03-10-2003, 05:34 PM
I'd like to see Cal as the Sox pitching coach in a few years along with Greg Walker as hitting coach.

soxdave
03-11-2003, 01:34 PM
I was at the game last Friday in Jupiter. Family lives down there.
Cal was pretty lights out in that game. Good for him. I was talking to some Cardinal fans, told them I was from Chicago. As their mouths flew open I said "Don't worry proud White Sox fan here"
Everyone of them said they liked our team this year..

Soxdave

voodoochile
03-11-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by soxdave
I was at the game last Friday in Jupiter. Family lives down there.
Cal was pretty lights out in that game. Good for him. I was talking to some Cardinal fans, told them I was from Chicago. As their mouths flew open I said "Don't worry proud White Sox fan here"
Everyone of them said they liked our team this year..

Soxdave

Good news about Cal and good news about what the Cardinal fans said. They tend to be pretty educated down that way...

Welcome aboard!

:)