PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Sox vs. Cubs Game Thread 3-8-03

Unregistered
03-08-2003, 03:08 PM
Let's get it started...

Carlos Zambrano vs. Jon Garland.

Unregistered
03-08-2003, 03:10 PM
Sammy Sosa is likely to return to the lineup Saturday after a seven-day absence. "You can't keep a good man down," Sosa said.

So whats Sosa's excuse??

Unregistered
03-08-2003, 03:15 PM
I don't have the telecast so if someone wants to help/ take over, feel free...

WhiteSoxWinner
03-08-2003, 03:17 PM
Top of the First

Jimenez went full count, jam pop to third

Harris - Soft gounder to first

Valentine - Soft gounder to second

All three worked the count well

WhiteSoxWinner
03-08-2003, 03:20 PM
Bottom of one

Garland pitching

Hill - soft grounder to first

? - Soft gounder to first

Shamme - Sharp single to center (bummer, but it looked like Garland pitched him smartly)

Alou - Bouncer to Crede at third, thown out.

Score end of 1 - Sox 0, Cubs 0

WhiteSoxWinner
03-08-2003, 03:26 PM
Top of the Second

Lee - K

Daubach (playing first) - grounder to second

Crede - HOME RUN!!!!!!!

Joe Borchard - K

By the way, this sucks that the WGN broadcast is the Cubs announcers. Thanks god for Ronney and Farmer.

1500 fans and 45,000 tickets sold this morning according R&F. Only a few tickets left for opening day.

Score: Sox 1, Cubs 0

SpringfldFan
03-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner

By the way, this sucks that the WGN broadcast is the Cubs announcers. Thanks god for Ronney and Farmer.

Now I don't feel so bad today that I gave up TV for lent!

WhiteSoxWinner
03-08-2003, 03:33 PM
Bottom of the Second

Choi - K

Patterson - K (on a fast ball high and outside)

Bellhorn - BB (on four pitches)

Bako - ground out to first

Is it just me, but put a few moe pounds on Carlos Zambrano, and he could be Fernando Valenzuela?

Garland is working quick and smart so far.

End of two: Sox 1, Cubs 0

joecrede
03-08-2003, 03:35 PM
Quick observation, Garland doesn't look anything like the skinny kid he was when he first came up. He looks poised on the mound and his delivery is much more fluid too. I think he's an excellent candidate for a breakout year.

WhiteSoxWinner
03-08-2003, 03:40 PM
Top of Third

Olivo - first pitch popout to SS

Garland - K

Jimenez - HOME RUN!!!!!!! (high fast ball down the middle, and the dumbass Flub fans throw the ball back. What tools!!!)

Harris - grounder to first, covered by pitcher

Middle of 3rd: Sox 2 , Cubs 0

Vsahajpal
03-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Top of Third

Olivo - first pitch popout to SS

Garland - K

Jimenez - HOME RUN!!!!!!! (high fast ball down the middle, and the dumbass Flub fans throw the ball back. What tools!!!)

Harris - grounder to first, covered by pitcher

Middle of 3rd: Sox 2 , Cubs 0

DJ's homerun came on a hanging forkball, not a fastball.

WhiteSoxWinner
03-08-2003, 03:49 PM
Bottom of third

Zambrano - Shot to Crede, thrown out at first

Hill - grounder to second

Ramon Martinez - Double, Line drive into left side of right field

Shamme - grounder to short, thrown out (Surprise surprise, Shamme swinging for the fences on first pitch)

R&F - Unwritten rule that you throw batting practice between pitchers at the plate (all fastballs)? What the heck is that about?

End of 3: Sox 2, Cubs 0

WhiteSoxWinner
03-08-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
DJ's homerun came on a hanging forkball, not a fastball.

Not accroding to Rooney, Farmer, and me

Vsahajpal
03-08-2003, 03:51 PM
The last time Zambrano threw an 83 mph fastball, he was 12. :D:

WhiteSoxWinner
03-08-2003, 03:56 PM
Top of four

Valentine - BB (Nice battle at the plate, fouled a few off)

Lee - Hit into DP

Daubach - popout to 2nd

Middle of 4: Sox 2, Cubs 0

DrCrawdad
03-08-2003, 03:59 PM
...R&F - Unwritten rule that you throw batting practice between pitchers at the plate (all fastballs)? What the heck is that about?

"R&F"? What did Rooney & Farmer mention something about this?

WhiteSoxWinner
03-08-2003, 04:01 PM
Bottom of four

Alou - Flyout to Lee in LF

Choi - single between first and second

Patterson - Hit into DP to Valentine

End of four: Sox 2, Cubs 0

duke of dorwood
03-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Garland really in nice rhythm today-his curve looks much improved.

WhiteSoxWinner
03-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
"R&F"? What did Rooney & Farmer mention something about this?

Yeah, they were babbling that it is an unwritten rule that the pitchers are supposed to just throw heat to each other, and Zambrano broke the rule by throwing breaking stuff to get Garland out. I thought it was weak

DrCrawdad
03-08-2003, 04:04 PM
Watching the game on WGN. I've been turned off by the perpetual fawning over Steve Stone. That coupled with the fact that in the past when asked questions about the White Sox, Stone said some fluff and garbage. Stone's answers showed that in the past he was completely uninformed about the Sox. Interestingly today Stone's shown to me that he's done some homework on the Sox. Good job.

WhiteSoxWinner
03-08-2003, 04:09 PM
Top of five

Changes:
Goodwin in Center replacing Patterson
Angel Guzman Pitching for Zambrano
Jackson in RF replacing Sosa

Crede - ground out to SS

Borchard - Flyout to CF, almost got down it it was a few more feet toward LF

Olivo - K

Middle of 5: Sox 2, Cubs 0

whitesoxwilkes
03-08-2003, 04:13 PM
Bottom 5 changes:

Paul replaces Olivo at C
Stewart replaces Garland

Chimp points out "It's an all-Josh battery."

Bellhorn greets Stewart with a double.

WhiteSoxWinner
03-08-2003, 04:20 PM
Bottom of 5

Changes
Josh Stewart Pitching replaces Garland
Josh Paul Catching replaces Olivo

Bellhorn - Double (Liner past Crede just inside the line)

Bako - Flyout to Left (hard charging backhand sliding grab, nice read off the bat, nice play)

Goodwin - Single, Shot up the middle (First and third)

Hill - Sacrifice to RF, 1 run

Goodwin caught stealing in a pick off to end inning

Hate say wilkes, R&F made the same all Josh battery comment

End of 5: Sox 2, Cubs 1

WhiteSoxWinner
03-08-2003, 04:26 PM
Top of 6

Changes
Cummings - in LF for Alou
Mahoney at C for Bako
Ramon Martinez replaced by Phil Hyatt
Ojeda replaces Bellhorn(?)

Paul - Flyout to RF

Jimenez - K

Harris - one hopper to second

Middle of 6 - Sox 2, Cubs 1

WhiteSoxWinner
03-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Bottom of 6

Changes
Nunez at SS for Valentine
Miles at 2nd for Jimenez

Ojeda - single

Jackson - flyout to CF

Hiatt - Hit into DP

End of 6: Sox 2, Cubs 1

WhiteSoxWinner
03-08-2003, 04:47 PM
Top of 7

Changes
Gipson replaced Hill
Harris replaces Bellhorn
Rod "Shooter" Beck warms in Bullpen, will play the eighth

Miles - Pop out to LF

Lee - Flyout to RF

Daubach - Single (over second base, first hit in the field of play after two home runs)

Crede - Flyout to RF

Middle of 7: Sox 2, Cubs 1

WhiteSoxWinner
03-08-2003, 04:59 PM
Bottom of 7

Changes
Rick White at P for Josh Stewart
Hummell at 3rd for Crede
Morgan in at 1st for Daubach
Sanders in at LF for Lee

Cummings - Double (off the right field wall)

Mallory (ph for P Guzman) - HBP (runners at 1st and 2nd)

Gipson - sacrifice bunt, play made to first for the out (Horrible play by White, could have had the lead runner at third. He even looked over there and threw to first)

Mahoney - Ground out RBI to Hummell (Another bad play, Hummell could have had the runner at home as he started running once the ball was hit, but threw to first)

Goodwin - Grounder in the hole at first, stopped by Morgan to White for the out.

End of 7: Sox 2, Cubs 2

WhiteSoxWinner
03-08-2003, 05:04 PM
Top of 8

Changes
Rod Beck pitching for Angel Guzman

Borchard - K

Sanders - Foulball popout to first

Paul - Flyout to CF

Middle of 8: Sox 2, Cubs 2

WhiteSoxWinner
03-08-2003, 05:10 PM
Bottom of 8

Changes
Valenzuela in at LF
Sanders moves to RF for Borchard
Marte pitching for White

Harris - K

Ojeda - Flyout to right CF to Harris

Jackson - Flyout to CF

End of 8: Sox 2, Cubs 2

DrCrawdad
03-08-2003, 05:14 PM
Chip Caray commenting on the trade that brought Marte to the Sox said "many people" were wondering about that deal. Chip, how soon you forget. You, Chip, were one of the guys who mocked KW for that deal early in the season in a Cubs-Pirates game. And Stone did as well when he was on the radio with Kaplan/Waddle.

Stone this time around though was very complimentary on the Marte trade, not to overlook Stone's praise of the Koch & Colon trades.

WhiteSoxWinner
03-08-2003, 05:15 PM
Top of 9

Changes
Borowski pitching for Beck

Nunez - Flyout to CF

Harris - Bunt out (close play, but Borowski just got him)

Miles - Lineout to 3rd

Middle of 9: Sox 2, Cubs 2

WhiteSoxWinner
03-08-2003, 05:25 PM
Bottom of 9

Changes
Mike Porzio pitching for Marte

Hiatt - BB

Cummings - Bunt to Porzio, Porzio threw it over Ninez head, safe all around (Yikes, that was horrible. Porzio wasn't rushed) Runners on 1st and 2nd

Mellian (ph for pitcher) - Sac bunt third base side, Hummell over to 1st (runners on 2nd and 3rd)

Gipson - Intentional BB (Bases loaded) (Note: JM went to mound to talk to Porzio. What in the world could they be talking about? How about, "Get these next two guys out or your headed to the minor league camp after the game."?)

Mahoney - Sac fly to CF, 1 run scores, end of game

Final: Sox 2, Cubs 3

WhiteSoxWinner
03-08-2003, 05:31 PM
OK, the ninth was bad, but I think the game got away in the bottom of the 7th when there were two plays to eliminate the runner that eventually scored. Defense cost us the game this time. The way the pitchers threw for the most part, two runs should have held up.

DrCrawdad
03-08-2003, 05:31 PM
Garland & Marte looked great. Porzio didn't.

Great to see some of the Sox prospects and farmhands. Other than that, these game means nothing.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-08-2003, 05:36 PM
rick white didn't look too good, hopefully he can get his act together for the regular season

TheBigHurt
03-08-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
rick white didn't look too good, hopefully he can get his act together for the regular season

YEAH he should be fine, white had a very good 2nd half when he got traded to i think the cardinals

DrCrawdad
03-08-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337

Yeah, I overlooked White. So far, not too impressive. Physically White looks like Sean Lowe.

TheBigHurt
03-08-2003, 05:45 PM
what the hell is SOX AND THE CITY

Shoeless Joe
03-08-2003, 05:45 PM
I was impressed with a couple of things today. I think Garland looks as solid as I've ever seen him. I've always felt that if he added another pitch, along with his fastball and sinker, to his arsenal he can do a lot more damage. Now that I see his curveball working I'm a little relieved to know he's going to be our 3rd man in the rotation. I also liked seeing Jimenez showing some pop in his bat for a lead off man. If Jimenez can be a constant threat on the base paths our offense will be unstoppable. Oh yeah, and not listening to Joe "Nonsense" Carter was a breath of fresh air too!

FanOf14
03-08-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Shoeless Joe
Oh yeah, and not listening to Joe "Nonsense" Carter was a breath of fresh air too!

That was a relief, but those two buffoons that were there were beyond irritating. Since the Sox didn't have their names on the jerseys, I wasn't entirely sure who was at bat from time to time. So it really didn't help with them talking about the scrubs while the Sox were batting instead of doing play-by-play. Does Caray ever pronounce an opposing player's name correctly?

WhiteSoxWinner
03-08-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
That was a relief, but those two buffoons that were there were beyond irritating. Since the Sox didn't have their names on the jerseys, I wasn't entirely sure who was at bat from time to time. So it really didn't help with them talking about the scrubs while the Sox were batting instead of doing play-by-play. Does Caray ever pronounce an opposing player's name correctly?

That's why you mute the TV and put on ESPN Radio 1000. The delay wasn't to bad today. Hardly noticable.

FanOf14
03-08-2003, 06:02 PM
That's why you mute the TV and put on ESPN Radio 1000. The delay wasn't to bad today. Hardly noticable.

I thought about it, but with the stuff I was trying to get down during the game, I didn't have time to search for my portable radio.

gosox41
03-08-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Let's get it started...

Carlos Zambrano vs. Jon Garland.

Why didn't Konerko, Ordonez, or Thomas make the trip? I thought this was going to be a spring training that was going to be like boot camp where the veterans stars were going to be taking more road trips. Of course I also thought that this being the Cubs and the game being one of the few televised games, the Sox would want to get all the PR attention they can.

Bob

jeremyb1
03-08-2003, 06:11 PM
my favorite part of the broadcast was when carey and stone said that olivo could run since he stole nearly 30 bases last season, but we don't know if he can hit. if all they're going to go by is minor league stats he did hit over .300 last year in a tough hitters ballpark. they then said it didn't matter because we were looking for sandy alomar to be our number one catcher. incredible how little they know about baseball. incredible.

duke of dorwood
03-08-2003, 06:13 PM
:kelly

Its lookin' good, boys

DrCrawdad
03-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Why didn't Konerko, Ordonez, or Thomas make the trip? I thought this was going to be a spring training that was going to be like boot camp where the veterans stars were going to be taking more road trips. Of course I also thought that this being the Cubs and the game being one of the few televised games, the Sox would want to get all the PR attention they can.

Bob

The PR is a good point. Aside from that though, it's a spring training game. IMHO it was good to get to see the Sox empty the bench for the game.

For the record the Cubs started their likely ML team. The only regular Sox starters were Crede, Valentin, Jimenez & Lee, IIRC.

I imagine that when the Cubs travel to TEP their starting lineup will have less regulars, unless it's late in the ST schedule.

Viva Magglio
03-08-2003, 07:45 PM
The PR is a good point. Aside from that though, it's a spring training game. IMHO it was good to get to see the Sox empty the bench for the game.

For the record the Cubs started their likely ML team. The only regular Sox starters were Crede, Valentin, Jimenez & Lee, IIRC.

I imagine that when the Cubs travel to TEP their starting lineup will have less regulars, unless it's late in the ST schedule.

The Cubs go to Tucson this coming Friday, and I will be there in person for that game.

I don't think Mike Porzio should hold his breath waiting to be told that he made the team. Of course, we did not lose just because of him. We were terrible at the plate today.

Viva Magglio
03-08-2003, 07:53 PM
Wasn't the camera work bad today? Often, whenever the ball was grounded to the left side of the infield, the camera missed the play at first base. Also, when the third baseman was going after a foul ball, the camera zoomed in on the shortstop standing behind his position in the outfield.

As for the "Cubs Baseball on WGN" opening of the telecast, it looked like the player highlights was all Sammy Sosa footage. Maybe a Kerry Wood or a Jesus Prior appeared, but at least 90% was Sosa.

Hangar18
03-08-2003, 08:21 PM
Per usual for WGN, they concentrated their coverage on stupid cub fans in the stands today....including that jerk w the flag. I noticed that when the camera was panning for "Fans", there were obviously SOX fans there also....but the camera was quick to ignore that. Now if i was some guy from Saud Arabia who just happened to stumble on the game, I would think that there must be cub fans everywhere, and that this other white sox team didnt have any fans. OF course, thats what the MEDIA wants you to believe.... I dont believe anything they try to Package.

DrCrawdad
03-08-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
my favorite part of the broadcast was when carey and stone said that olivo could run since he stole nearly 30 bases last season, but we don't know if he can hit. if all they're going to go by is minor league stats he did hit over .300 last year in a tough hitters ballpark. they then said it didn't matter because we were looking for sandy alomar to be our number one catcher. incredible how little they know about baseball. incredible.

I caught that too. I thought it was kind of funny since Olivo seemed to have a good year offensively. I guess the question is whether Olivo will do that at the ML level.

Overall I thought the Chip & Stone did fairly well with respect to the Sox. Keep in mind that it was a "Cub" broadcast.

IMHO Stone at least showed a degree of knowledge of the Sox players. Stone did some homework because as of last year he was completely ignorant of Sox prospects.

Chip & Stone were both positively glowing in their comments on Marte. Of course they both glossed over how they ridiculed the deal last year.

The opening montage was normal Cubune puke inspiring garbage. And just as Dan Bernstein predicted the Cubune PR Machine would sell Baker's son.

As much as I might want to say otherwise, at least as respects how Chip & Stone treated the Sox I'd say they did much better than I anticipated.

- DrCrawdad.

A.T. Money
03-08-2003, 08:51 PM
And for the love of God, can someone please tell Chip to stop using the phrase:

White Sock?!?!?

:chimp

"No-can-do on the request. When Hawk and DJ start showing more enthusiasm for the Cubs homeruns during games, and eases up on the one-sided broadcasting, I'll think about it."

:hawk

"At least I worked my way to where I am. You just inherited your fame, bubba!"

:DJ

"You tell him Hawk!"

Viva Magglio
03-08-2003, 08:54 PM
As Pappy would say:

:ass
Chip is a member of the lucky sperm club.

WhiteSoxWinner
03-08-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Per usual for WGN, they concentrated their coverage on stupid cub fans in the stands today....including that jerk w the flag. I noticed that when the camera was panning for "Fans", there were obviously SOX fans there also....but the camera was quick to ignore that. Now if i was some guy from Saud Arabia who just happened to stumble on the game, I would think that there must be cub fans everywhere, and that this other white sox team didnt have any fans. OF course, thats what the MEDIA wants you to believe.... I dont believe anything they try to Package.

I am defintiely NOT one to defend the media, but this was a Flubs' broadcast (evidenced by the poor announcers). We wouldn't expect the Sox broadcast to go looking for Tribe fans at one of our games. Or Flub fans for those games at the ballpark formerly known as Comiskey.

TimChamp
03-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Yeah, I overlooked White. So far, not too impressive. Physically White looks like Sean Lowe.

Yeah, it's funny you mentioned that, I was doing something else and watching the game at the same time. When I watched him pitch, with the number 50 on his back, I thought it was Sean Lowe! I was shocked, then I realized it was Rick White... :D:

Another funny thing was, I don't know if you guys noticed this, but when they zoomed in on White and he did that thing with his hat (taking it off, putting it on, taking it off, putting it on, etc.), I laughed and remembered that Lowe did the very same thing when he was with the White Sox... :o: Hopefully his numbers don't turn out like Lowe and more like what he had with the Cardinals...

Champ out to get some partying done after that morbid game...

Lip Man 1
03-09-2003, 12:01 AM
Not a good day at all, between the awful fundamental execution in the game and Danny Wright's troubles.

Amazing you can't throw a ball cleanly to second base when you had the time.

Typical.

Lip

DrCrawdad
03-09-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Not a good day at all, between the awful fundamental execution in the game and Danny Wright's troubles.

Amazing you can't throw a ball cleanly to second base when you had the time.

Typical.

Lip

Porzio performed like someone under terror of losing his job. Either that or Porzio was paid by gamblers to throw the game.

A.T. Money
03-10-2003, 12:22 AM
Porzio's blunder was quite simple.

Pitchers can't throw on a flat surface. Take them off that mound and they lose it.

Foulke You
03-10-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
Porzio's blunder was quite simple.

Pitchers can't throw on a flat surface. Take them off that mound and they lose it.

Only Sox pitchers have this trouble. Buehrle is the only Sox pitcher who can field his position on our team (don't know about Colon or Koch). I hold my breath every time one of our pitchers has to make a play. Especially Kelly Wunsch.

TimChamp
03-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I hold my breath every time one of our pitchers has to make a play. Especially Kelly Wunsch.

LOL! You got that right, it seems like Wunsch can't decide whether to throw a pitch or roll the ball to the guy covering the bag and when he does decide, it's usually the side arm choice of whipping it to the guy which ends up going somewhere in centerfield...

Speaking of holding my breath, I cringe almost every time Valentin has to make a throw to first...I don't know what it is, I just get this feeling in my stomach that he'll make an error (and Hawk said that Jose had one of the smoothest throwing motions in the league...HA!)...

Champ out...

voodoochile
03-10-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by TimChamp
Speaking of holding my breath, I cringe almost every time Valentin has to make a throw to first...I don't know what it is, I just get this feeling in my stomach that he'll make an error (and Hawk said that Jose had one of the smoothest throwing motions in the league...HA!)...

Actually that was more the case in 2000 when he tended to get sloppy with his mechanics (lowering down to throw side arm). The coaches worked with him on always coming over the top and his aim has improved (at least it seems that way to me)...