PDA

View Full Version : What if....

NUCatsFan
08-15-2001, 11:26 AM
Now indulge me here for a little bit. I read somewhere that we've svcked this year because of all the changes to our roster. Let's take a look at what would be different without those changes:

DWells for Sirotka and Simmons (these were the only players of importance in the trade) -- We'd have Sirotka, who's on the shelf this year. Next year, who knows, but you have to be wary of a pitcher coming off of surgery and pitching a full year, even if it is a year later. Simmons may have started as our #5 OF (Ordonez, CLee, Singleton, and Jose V), but I have a feeling he wouldn't have lasted long. Also, DWells was great for our young pitchers. You always heard Buehrle rave about how David taught him out to pitch. Good pickup even if DWells is out.

Clayton for Schmack -- Schmack was still a ways off. Who knows how he would have fit in here. I have a feeling that he would have been traded anyway for something. Clayton had a HORRID first part of the year, but has come on lately and is hitting .235 (at last check) and is one of the top fielding SSs in the AL. Without this trade, JoseV would be at SS and we would have had another OF. Would we have played better at the beginning of the season? Perhaps, but some of this has to be attributed to JM.

Charles Johnson -- Would have been nice to have him back, but we didn't want to shell out the $$$. Then JP would never have been up here. We wouldn't have signed Alomar. MJ would be the #2. I still think, given the situation at the time, Alomar wasn't a bad pickup. He worked well with the young pitchers and called a good game, even if he wasn't all there offensively.

In summary, we probably would have been better without all the changes. That much better? Probably not. I would guess 2 or 3 games over .500, but not a whole lot better than that.