PDA

View Full Version : Sox pitching still on the rise

Soxboyrob
08-15-2001, 10:37 AM
In case any of you didn't notice it, the Sox are now ranked 6th out of 14 in team E.R.A. in the AL. All of the teams ahead of us are playoff bound, except for the Angels. It's amazing how much our pitching stock has risen this year. Last year, we continually had to run Biddle out for starts, despite his constantly being wallopped into oblivion because we didn't have any depth at the starting pitcher position. This year, it's all good. Who'd have thunk we'd have gotten such production from guys like Garland, Glover, Buehrle, KWells and now, Wright? Kinda makes you forget about the pitching injuries. The only injury that appears to have had any kind of measurable effect is the loss of Frank, and even that is debatable, considering the pathetic production we were getting from him before "the injury."

Sad thing is that after averaging 6 runs per game last year, we're averaging 4.5 this year. Imagine where we'd be if we were averaging 5 - 5.5 runs per game instead. We'd have a nice hold on first place is for damned sure....so goes the cry of a Chicago baseball fan...."Wait till next year."

voodoochile
08-15-2001, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
In case any of you didn't notice it, the Sox are now ranked 6th out of 14 in team E.R.A. in the AL. All of the teams ahead of us are playoff bound, except for the Angels. It's amazing how much our pitching stock has risen this year. Last year, we continually had to run Biddle out for starts, despite his constantly being wallopped into oblivion because we didn't have any depth at the starting pitcher position. This year, it's all good. Who'd have thunk we'd have gotten such production from guys like Garland, Glover, Buehrle, KWells and now, Wright? Kinda makes you forget about the pitching injuries. The only injury that appears to have had any kind of measurable effect is the loss of Frank, and even that is debatable, considering the pathetic production we were getting from him before "the injury."

Sad thing is that after averaging 6 runs per game last year, we're averaging 4.5 this year. Imagine where we'd be if we were averaging 5 - 5.5 runs per game instead. We'd have a nice hold on first place is for damned sure....so goes the cry of a Chicago baseball fan...."Wait till next year."

Don't you think the loss of Frank has something to do with that 1.5 runs/game difference? I bet if you look at Frank's numbers from last year, theyare pretty close to that number (R + RBI - HR)/162.

You are correct about the pitching, and that number gets even better when you look at the currently active pitchers only. Parque, Osuna and Eldred, killed our stats early in the year...

voodoochile
08-15-2001, 10:50 AM
Inclkuding JB...

4.07, which leaves us still in 6th, but only because of the large gap between the first 5 and everyone else.

voodoochile
08-15-2001, 10:52 AM

Soxboyrob
08-15-2001, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Don't you think the loss of Frank has something to do with that 1.5 runs/game difference? I bet if you look at Frank's numbers from last year, theyare pretty close to that number (R + RBI - HR)/162.

I think it has very much to do w/ it. My point is that last year's Frank was Good Frank. '98 and '99 were Bad Frank. This year, Frank was starting to look like Bad Frank again. The other thing that has to be pointed out is that, for the most part, we're not getting the clutch hitting w/ 2 outs that we got last year. A fairly solid case can also be made that we're not getting much production from our 1-2 hitters this year, compared to 2000.

All in all, I've got to figure that Frank alone would have boosted the team's OBA another 10 points and added at least 0.5 runs to our per game average, bringing us to a more reasonable 5.0 runs per game. That alone would put us probably about 6-8 games over .500 and in the hunt. But that's no excuse for our predicament. We've played like corpses all season, Manuel managed us right out of the hunt for the first 2 months of the season, and we've lacked the killer instinct when playing in games we absolutely had to win. It's all quite shameful.

Chisox353014
08-15-2001, 11:20 AM
One of the reasons I'm optimistic for next year is the young pitchers have developed nicely this season. It's doubly impressive when you consider that the bullpen all year has basically been Foulke, a mediocre Howry, and whoever the 2 non-starters among the group of Garland, Glover, Lowe and Kip happen to be at the time. JM gets ripped on a lot for his game management and playing Harold, etc., and he deserves a lot of it. But you have to give him credit for the way he's handled a very thin, very inexperienced pitching staff this year.

Soxboyrob
08-15-2001, 11:29 AM
Have to agree w/ you on Jer's handling of the staff, EXCEPT for his insisting on using Embry in crucial situations. I realize that they're very shorthanded on talent in the bullpen, but I'd rather see Canseco come in and throw his knuckler than see Embry and his pin-straight, ball on a tee screaming "hit me" fastball.

What has impressed me is the Jer's willingness, lately, to allow the young guys to stay in the game and try to pitch through their troubles. Last night, it would have been easy to pull Buehrle after the second or third homer, but he actually let Mark stay in there and go another inning or two. He actually let Wright pitch 7 2/3 the other night. Those are the little things are confidence builders for young pitchers that can and will pay dividends in the future.

It still amazes me that he allowed 3 different hitters to linger in the lineup w/ near .100 averages a month or more. Look at how Cub fans are ready to pillage the city over the playing of Hundley...and he's only one player.

mrwag
08-15-2001, 01:14 PM
If Baines, Clayton, and Ramirez were out of the lineups in the first 2 months, we'd be atleast 8-9 games ahead of where we are at now. There's the championship, folks.

cheeses_h_rice
08-15-2001, 01:17 PM
:gun :hitless :harold

Thank you very much!

Jerry_Manuel
08-15-2001, 03:48 PM
:harold
Watch it Cheeses, I might just have to kick your ass for talking about me like that.

Daver
08-15-2001, 07:07 PM
Your tired old ass couldn't kick your way down the Geritol aisle at the local Osco Harold.