PDA

View Full Version : Other GM's must think Kenny Williams is a Buffoon...

Hangar18
03-07-2003, 10:17 AM
according to Phil Rogers' column today, the Orioles in 2001 offered Sidney Ponson for Magglio ??? How stupid would that have been. The Reds, who LOVE american league players as much as the Mets and Cardinals, this year Offered us Griffey for Maggs. HAHAHAHAHAHAH to that noise. Now theyre interested in LEE?? first off...NEVER TRADE W A TEAM whose Farm System SUCKS. Orioles are terrible...

Bmr31
03-07-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
according to Phil Rogers' column today, the Orioles in 2001 offered Sidney Ponson for Magglio ??? How stupid would that have been. The Reds, who LOVE american league players as much as the Mets and Cardinals, this year Offered us Griffey for Maggs. HAHAHAHAHAHAH to that noise. Now theyre interested in LEE?? first off...NEVER TRADE W A TEAM whose Farm System SUCKS. Orioles are terrible...

Ahhh dont believe everything you read. Noone would offer Ponson alone for Ordonez.

Juan Pizarro
03-07-2003, 11:08 AM
Oh, they well might offer. Especially the Orioles, who rank with the DRays and Royals for AL cluelessness.

SuckerforSox
03-07-2003, 11:12 AM
I read Phil's column and couldn't believe the Mags thing either.

I thought it was interesting to see that they think Lee has as much value as Griffey. If you could get Griffey for Lee and a decent pitching prospect (Malone or Stewart maybe) would you do that? Would be nice to have a left-handed bat in the lineup who can also field.

gosox41
03-07-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by SuckerforSox

I thought it was interesting to see that they think Lee has as much value as Griffey. If you could get Griffey for Lee and a decent pitching prospect (Malone or Stewart maybe) would you do that? Would be nice to have a left-handed bat in the lineup who can also field.

I would not trade Lee for Griffey. Griffey has officially fallen into that injury prone category. To pay a 33 year old hitter who misses a ton of games$79 mill over the next 6 years is kind of a waste when the Sox can probably sign up Lee for less money and at least he's healthy and has more upside.

Bob

FanOf14
03-07-2003, 11:18 AM

I'd only think about it if there was some way of knowing that he'd be on the field more than the DL.

gosox41
03-07-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18

I think Kenny is a buffoon so that's no surprise. The guy has made one good major trade. I'm sure the Orioles thought the Sox got suckered on the Todd Ritchie deal and would try to sucker him again. I don't blame them. I'm surprised Kenny didn't fall for it.

Bob

SuckerforSox
03-07-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by FanOf14
I'd only think about it if there was some way of knowing that he'd be on the field more than the DL.

I guess you'd have to do your homework and take a chance. If he is healthy though it could help us immensly. I think it would go along way towards making us World Series contenders instead of just getting in the playoffs. It would also help a very weak defensive outfield. Also, maybe coming back to the AL would help?

duke of dorwood
03-07-2003, 11:39 AM
There's lots of talk out of Baltimore-they have a relativly new GM-Flanigan, looking to appear active and create interest. Who better to circulate rumors about than us-with our propensity for being involved in fruitless discussions and occasional salary dumps.

FanOf14
03-07-2003, 11:45 AM
I guess you'd have to do your homework and take a chance. If he is healthy though it could help us immensly. I think it would go along way towards making us World Series contenders instead of just getting in the playoffs. It would also help a very weak defensive outfield. Also, maybe coming back to the AL would help?

I don't disagree! If memory serves, he has spent quite a bit of time on the DL the last few years, and I could swear that one of those years he was on the DL for more than half the season.

jeremyb1
03-07-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
Ahhh dont believe everything you read. Noone would offer Ponson alone for Ordonez.

hold on a second. lets not forget who we're talking about here. this is syd thrift possibly the worst exective in the history of sports. he supposedly gave glowing reports about fake prospects created by a caller in a call in show to expose his ignorance. he also supposedly tried to trade the blue jays for shawn green at the winter meetings last offseason, over a year after he was dealt to the dodgers.

Bmr31
03-07-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
hold on a second. lets not forget who we're talking about here. this is syd thrift possibly the worst exective in the history of sports. he supposedly gave glowing reports about fake prospects created by a caller in a call in show to expose his ignorance. he also supposedly tried to trade the blue jays for shawn green at the winter meetings last offseason, over a year after he was dealt to the dodgers.

supposedly? You said that twice. Like i said, dont believe everything you read(or hear).

czalgosz
03-07-2003, 02:10 PM
Well, the Shawn Green story is definitely true. That's been reported by several sources. I don't know about the sports call-in show; that's the first I've heard of it.

kermittheefrog
03-07-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

Actually the sports call in show thing was a hoax. As I understand it, someone did call in with a fake prospect but Thrift didn't praise the "prospect" he simply said he wasn't familiar with the name.

And Syd Thrift isn't running the Orioles anymore anyway. There are two execs running the show in Baltimore. Mike Flanagan and Jim Beattie. Neither of them officially have the title of GM. Thrift is now a consultant or something in the D-Rays organization.

jeremyb1
03-07-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Actually the sports call in show thing was a hoax. As I understand it, someone did call in with a fake prospect but Thrift didn't praise the "prospect" he simply said he wasn't familiar with the name.

And Syd Thrift isn't running the Orioles anymore anyway. There are two execs running the show in Baltimore. Mike Flanagan and Jim Beattie. Neither of them officially have the title of GM. Thrift is now a consultant or something in the D-Rays organization.

yeah i thought i did remember hearing about the prospects thing being fake but it was initially reported by baseball weekly. regardless of whether or not the outlandish stories are true its clear that thrift had no idea what he was doing. that's not something that's hard to verify.

you're correct that thrift is no longer running the orioles but he was when the trade proposal in question (ponson for maggs) took place.

Champ Summers
03-07-2003, 05:19 PM
That's an old one, it was Baba-Booie from the Howard Stern show...somene (stuttering john i believe) called in and asked what he thought of Gary Del'Abate, a RHP in A-ball...Thrift said he had seen good things and was high on him...

Dadawg_77
03-08-2003, 12:48 PM
Lee for Griffery appears to be a bad deal just looking at it. The only thing which will make it appealing to me for the Sox, if the Reds pick a major portion of Ken's remaining contract, two you don't think Borchard can play CF.

If you are a fanasty player, the PECOTA cards at BP are sweet.