PDA

View Full Version : Wow, just found this

gogosoxgogo
03-06-2003, 06:43 PM
Orioles are looking to trade for Griffey.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=fanball-oriolesgriffeytradet&prov=fanball&type=lgns

WhiteSoxWinner
03-06-2003, 06:49 PM
I saw that on ESPN earlier today. I think the Orioles are one of the few teams that would take him. Angelos is always interested in putting together a Rotisserie baseball team on the field by signing aging veterans.

I was surprised when it was noted earlier in the year that the Padres were going to take him.

TheBigHurt
03-06-2003, 06:51 PM
I dont get why the Orioles would want Griffey

kermittheefrog
03-06-2003, 07:38 PM
The Orioles don't even have anything worth taking for Griffey.

hold2dibber
03-06-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
The Orioles don't even have anything worth taking for Griffey.

What??! They've got Conine, Segui and Marty Cordova - talk about a wallop in the middle of the order!

Hangar18
03-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Im Still Laughing at the Reds and all their fans who thought they had just Robbed the Bank and gotten away with it. Think they were printing World Series Tickets as soon as that "trade" went down.

WhiteSoxWinner
03-06-2003, 10:45 PM
Hmmmmm, where's that guy from RedsZone telling us what a mistake we made for taking the Griffey for Mags deal? When it comes to Griffey, it appears that the price and number of places he could go keeps decreasing.

moochpuppy
03-07-2003, 09:08 AM
I'd take Griffey in a heart beat..........for Aaron Rowand.

Iwritecode
03-07-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
I'd take Griffey in a heart beat..........for Aaron Rowand.

As long as the Reds continue to pay Griffey's salary and the Sox get to pay Rowand's salary, then I might think about it...

Jjav829
03-07-2003, 03:23 PM
Well, this might make the Reds think twice.

From today's game:

HOME RUNS: CIN -
KEN GRIFFEY JR (2) OFF KRIS BENSON IN THE 1ST
JASON LARUE (2) OFF KRIS BENSON IN THE 3RD
KEN GRIFFEY JR (3) OFF KRIS BENSON IN THE 3RD
KEN GRIFFEY JR (4) OFF JULIAN TAVAREZ IN THE 5TH
JASON LARUE (3) OFF MARK COREY IN THE 7TH

baggio202
03-08-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Well, this might make the Reds think twice.

From today's game:

if griffey stays healthy he will hit 50 plus this year...he is in the same boat frank thomas is in..a sure first ballot hall of famer whose career has taken a downward turn but he still has the skills..he , like frank , worked harder this off season then any other time in his career......their careers are so similiar its scary...i think both frank and griffey win comeback player of the year...

remember the dunn / griffey for lee / maggs hypothetical trade debate we had a while back??...think id do it..be scary giving up maggs but,damn , can you imagine an outfield of dunn - griffey - borchard??

TheBigHurt
03-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
if griffey stays healthy he will hit 50 plus this year...he is in the same boat frank thomas is in..a sure first ballot hall of famer whose career has taken a downward turn but he still has the skills..he , like frank , worked harder this off season then any other time in his career......their careers are so similiar its scary...i think both frank and griffey win comeback player of the year...

remember the dunn / griffey for lee / maggs hypothetical trade debate we had a while back??...think id do it..be scary giving up maggs but,damn , can you imagine an outfield of dunn - griffey - borchard??

i really hate to say but I dont think BIG FRANK is a sure 1st ballot hall of famer... he needs 1 more solid season

baggio202
03-08-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
i really hate to say but I dont think BIG FRANK is a sure 1st ballot hall of famer... he needs 1 more solid season

i agree...he might need two season..thats true for griffey also..but for the first 7 or 8 years of both these guys careers nobody would have thought they would have been anything but 1st ballot hall of famers...thats what i meant when i posted that..

Jjav829
03-09-2003, 02:05 AM
Yeah it's a shame what has happened to Grif. I mean 3 years ago we were talking about this guy possibly breaking Aaron's HR record. I've always liked Griffey. I used to help do a chat thing with Athlete Direct for Griffey's fan site. It's a shame what has become of his career. Hes become so edgy but I guess that tends to happen when you're getting death threats in the mail. If he can stay healthy I think he will have a big year. He hasn't really lost much, he just can't seem to stay out on the field. Just think what might have been if he stayed in Seattle. That trade hurt him more than it helped. I think the pressure of playing in his home town has gotten to him. If he has a bad season this year I really hope he gets traded to someplace where there will be less pressure on him. I would love to see Griffey in a Sox uni but the cost of getting him would be too high.

As for him being a first ballot HOF'er, it could happen. I think he needs some more productive years. But when you put together how great he was not only as a hitter, but defensively in CF, theres definately a good chance.