PDA

View Full Version : Marriotti & other things

uksoxfan
03-06-2003, 04:41 PM
Hi guys......been away awhile but I just had to post about this.

It always intrigued me the amount of abuse & venom you guys aimed at this guy. I'd only had the "benefit" of his ramblings in the Sun-times but now thanks to a new TV channel over here dedicated to US sports, I can now also watch him!?!?............
I've become hooked on the show Around The Horn every night, just to see what crazy thoughts he'll pass on to the watching public. It's also very amusing how the other participents on the show react to his contibutions. I get a good laugh anyway!!

More good news for me is that this channel is planning to show baseball & the Baseball Tonight show every-night once the season gets underway. That should also help me keep up with you guys........ :smile:

I've been watching college basketball & football recently...........do these students get selected just for their sporting skills or do they need to pass academic entrance exams too? These games sure seem to be popular..........but how do you pick a team to follow?Do you follow the team of the College you went to or where you live or both? Just wondering as we don't have anything comparable over here.

hold2dibber
03-06-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by uksoxfan
I've been watching college basketball & football recently...........do these students get selected just for their sporting skills or do they need to pass academic entrance exams too? These games sure seem to be popular..........but how do you pick a team to follow?Do you follow the team of the College you went to or where you live or both? Just wondering as we don't have anything comparable over here.

Both based upon where you went and where you live. I grew up near DePaul University and will always be a DePaul basketball fan because of it; I also consider myself something of a Northwestern fan and a University of Illinois fan, and those are entirely geographic.

HawkDJ
03-06-2003, 08:36 PM
Around the Horn is a very funny show, I watch it every day.

Also Baseball Tonight is a great show and you will love it. It's probably the best show ESPN puts out besides Sportscenter. I love watching it every night for the game updates and other informative things they do.

Daver
03-06-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by uksoxfan

More good news for me is that this channel is planning to show baseball & the Baseball Tonight show every-night once the season gets underway. That should also help me keep up with you guys........ :smile:

Hey Brian,good to hear from you again,and the fact that you get ESPN,or the UK equivilent of it, means you can keep track of the Sox as easily as you do that weird game that we call soccer.

As far as Mariotti goes,all he is good for is a laugh........

:)

Hangar18
03-07-2003, 08:32 AM
Well, as for me, I graduated from DePaul University, so that makes me a Big DePaul basketball fan.

FanOf14
03-07-2003, 08:45 AM
I went to UIC, but I find basketball to be boring, but I still cheer for the Flames just because I want to see all the money dumped into that team amount to something. College football on the other hand, I really enjoy. Since UIC doesn't have a football team, I've latched on to NC State and Michigan State (they were horrid this year). I will watch Iowa State (but that is mostly because I like there name - Cyclones!), but I can't say I am a huge fan of theirs.

ssang
03-07-2003, 10:26 AM
I went to Indiana University and college basketball is a tremendous sport! I never cared for the Hoosiers as I grew up a Fighting Illini fan. However, you gotta root for your school, and IU has great basketball tradition. I was hooked. Last year's final 4 run (I was a senior) was an un-real. Being in Bloomington after we took out Duke, and then Kent St., was pure chaos. It was like a mini-mardi gras! Then I went to the final 4 in Atlanta.....that was also fantastic. Too bad we lost to Maryland, but Atlanta was an awesome experience and the girls are damn hot too! Fine holiday fun for all. College basketball is where it's at!

Hangar18
03-07-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Around the Horn is a very funny show, I watch it every day.

Also Baseball Tonight is a great show and you will love it. It's probably the best show ESPN puts out besides Sportscenter. I love watching it every night for the game updates and other informative things they do.

Baseball Tonite is a decent show...however if you want to follow the news on the White Sox, Baseball Tonite will Disappoint you. They are one of the media outlets that ignores the SOX til the All-Star Break, then jumps on the bandwagon (thats assuming theyre in 1st place beginning of the year) They will throw more cubs coverage (even if theyre in last place) or worst case, do a Cub-Fluff piece on Dusty Bakers "1st half season w the cubbies")

uksoxfan
03-07-2003, 04:49 PM
I've watched Baseball Tonight & Sportscenter when I've been in the USA. Don't know if we'll be getting ESPN Sportscenter.......we're getting a NYC based show called Gamecenter at the moment. I've seen trailers for Baseball Tonight though,so I'll definately get to keep up with the news once the season starts.

The station says we'll be getting up to 8 games a week, some live & some delayed live. With the time difference that could help anyway.

We've already been getting the Sunday & Weds. live ESPN games for the past few years on another station so I should get a decent selection of games this year. If the Sox keep winning maybe I'll get to see them a few times. They were only featured once last year, when they beat the Mets 2-1 at Comiskey.

Blueprint1
03-07-2003, 05:07 PM
SIU went there so i have to be a Saluki fan. My sister went to Indiana so I am also a fan of the Hoosiers