PDA

View Full Version : Backflips for Miles

bc2k
03-06-2003, 12:02 PM
I have been thinking over the past couple days whether Aaron Miles can be an asset on the 25-man roster. Today the Trib ran a piece on the very same subject.

The Tribune said, as I was also thinking, that Miles would likely have to beat out Willie Harris for a roster spot. But that is assuming Harris is already on the roster. It will take a while for JM to decide on how many pitchers, other bench players, and how many catchers he is taking north. It will take a couple of more weeks to see if Aaron has a legitimate shot at a roster spot, but if it comes down to him or Harris, it should be the former. I'll be doing backflips if that is the case.

Hangar18
03-06-2003, 12:13 PM
Talk about coming out of nowhere. I knew they invited him to ST based on his mvp thing, but MAN. this guy is something else. My thing is this. if the guy is a Base Stealing THreat....HEll YEAH.
put him on the team.....he is what some in the baseball world call..
ummm........A SPARK PLUG hes that Intangible that makes a Team GO, and GO and GO. no-brainer to me....

SoxxoS
03-06-2003, 12:17 PM
You can guarantee Miles will be a fan favorite as well...

hold2dibber
03-06-2003, 12:54 PM
It seems to me that whether Borchard makes the team will also be a big factor. If they decide to send Borchard to Charlotte, then they need to keep Harris to be able to back-up Rowand in CF (as I understand it, Rios is not a CFer). OTOH, if Borchard makes the team (which seems unlikely to me), then maybe Miles beats out Harris for a bench spot. But Harris is faster, plays more positions and can hit lefty, making him more valuable, I think, than Miles off the bench.

doublem23
03-06-2003, 01:22 PM
Miles is really going to have to have a killer spring to make the team.

In other words, not a chance in hell.

duke of dorwood
03-06-2003, 03:00 PM
Why? Its not like Harris has ever done anything.

hold2dibber
03-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

That's true, but like I said, because Harris is faster (better for pinch running), hits lefty (better for pinch hitting) and can play both infield and outfield (more versatile). Miles, OTOH, doesn't give you anything other than what Graffino already gives you. He's redundant. He only makes it if he is so good, he just can't be ignored.

jeremyb1
03-06-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

there are certainly differences between harris and miles. harris was hitting .300 in AA when he was 22 years old while it took miles until he was 26 to succeed at that level. there is a difference. i'm not saying harris should be handed the job but look at the factors listed above. harris is clearly the better fit on our club he should lose his job to miles just because miles has a good spring. miles hasn't proven himself in AAA while harris has.

bc2k
03-07-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
That's true, but like I said, because Harris is faster (better for pinch running), hits lefty (better for pinch hitting) and can play both infield and outfield (more versatile). Miles, OTOH, doesn't give you anything other than what Graffino already gives you. He's redundant. He only makes it if he is so good, he just can't be ignored.

I see your point, but IMHO the only real advantage Harris has over Miles is his ability to play centerfield. You're going to want to get Daubauch all the at bats possible, so he should take the corner outfield starts on games when Lee and Maggs take off days.

Being lefty you'd think Harris might be an asset against righthanded pitchers, but he hit .232 against them last season. Daubach, again, should have those at bats. Unlike Graffaninose, Aaron hits from both sides of the plate.

I concede Harris's speed would make him a more of an ideal pinchrunner, but if he isn't given the green light, (he didn't have it last year) then that advantage becomes almost useless. Maybe with his speed he can go first to third and second to home better than Miles, but can Willie break up a double-play? Can he take out a second baseman? Is he prone to Carlos Lee-type baserunning gaffs? I don't know the answers to those three questions for Harris or Miles.

My favorite stat about Miles: 45 strikeouts in 531 at bats last year for Birmingham. He also had 40 walks and a .369 OBP. Combine his short height and slap hitting style, and I think if nothing else, he will put the ball in play in the majors.

In this case I prefer to add the best player, although I do not yet know who that man will be. Harris -- regardless of his AAA stats -- has not proven himself worthy of a roster spot, so I consider the spot an open competition between Harris and Miles. I know who Tom Gamboa is hoping makes the team.

hold2dibber
03-07-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
I see your point, but IMHO the only real advantage Harris has over Miles is his ability to play centerfield. You're going to want to get Daubauch all the at bats possible, so he should take the corner outfield starts on games when Lee and Maggs take off days.

Being lefty you'd think Harris might be an asset against righthanded pitchers, but he hit .232 against them last season. Daubach, again, should have those at bats. Unlike Graffaninose, Aaron hits from both sides of the plate.

I concede Harris's speed would make him a more of an ideal pinchrunner, but if he isn't given the green light, (he didn't have it last year) then that advantage becomes almost useless. Maybe with his speed he can go first to third and second to home better than Miles, but can Willie break up a double-play? Can he take out a second baseman? Is he prone to Carlos Lee-type baserunning gaffs? I don't know the answers to those three questions for Harris or Miles.

My favorite stat about Miles: 45 strikeouts in 531 at bats last year for Birmingham. He also had 40 walks and a .369 OBP. Combine his short height and slap hitting style, and I think if nothing else, he will put the ball in play in the majors.

In this case I prefer to add the best player, although I do not yet know who that man will be. Harris -- regardless of his AAA stats -- has not proven himself worthy of a roster spot, so I consider the spot an open competition between Harris and Miles. I know who Tom Gamboa is hoping makes the team.

I didn't know Miles was a switch hitter; I thought he hit right-handed. That does increase his value. Your other points are good ones, but I still don't know who the back-up CF is if Miles makes the team instead of Harris. Also, while it is true that Harris has not yet proven himself worthy of a roster spot, neither has Miles. And Harris' AAA accomplishments (at age 23-24) mean more to me than Miles AA accomplishments (at age 26, I believe).

One other factor in favor of Miles: I think Harris has more potential than Miles over the long run. Therefore, it may make more sense to have Harris playing everyday in AAA to help his development.