03-06-2003, 01:45 AM
the fifth spot?
inn. er. era whip k/bb
rauch 5 2 3.60 1.80 1/2
loaiza 52/3 4 6.35 1.59 1/2
heredia 4 2 4.50 1.50 1/3
stewart 2 1 4.50 1.00 0/1

there is no overwhelming favorite but I feel that if loaiza and
rauch are even that if would go to Loaiza, but Heredia is not making this easy either. I love Rauch and would
prefer if he started the season in Chitown, but I definitely would
not oppose Rauch having some more starts in Charlotte. 3-4 years down the line, I think Rauch will be competing for the ace job even if we sign Colon to a long term deal or Buerhle for that matter. I cannot wait for the time where we ALL realize this(like Buehrle). This guy is the real deal, but he has to prove it. And, he needs time and opportunity to prove it, but if Loaiza is doing just as good as Rauch, I wouldnt be opposed to him starting over Rauch b/c the fact is Rauch will be a top of the level starter sooner or later and I am not trying to rush him. If he is put in AAA, Rauch will dominate and wait for his time. Enough of my opinion (eventhough I think Stewart is one to watch, too. Great spring to worry who one of the four will be the number 5).

No matter who it is, they ALL look promising (even Old Heredia and Young Stewart).

There are some unsung heroes that are not getting mention, too.

Wunsch

I definitely hate this guy, but his spring t. stats and results that he deserves a spot. (so far) Leads the team in K's and looks like he can actually hold runners left on base.

Sanders and Diaz

Both have been as dominating as expected. Especially Sanders. Manual is going to have a tough decision when it comes to lefties.

Malone

Is still having control problems, but has 3 scoreless innings so far. Not too shabby.

Colon, Buehrle, Koch, and Gordon

They have been the most dominate pitchers; thus, they are living up to expectations, so far.

Last but not least Brian Cooper

He was part of the Heredia & Loaiza signings. However, he has 22/3 scoreless, hitless, and walkless innings. He is doing what only Buerhle has done so far. He is looking like a true dark horse. He has a true shot of making the team if he keeps on pitching like this.

doublem23
03-06-2003, 02:11 AM
It's a week into Spring Training.

Lip Man 1
03-06-2003, 11:17 AM
In a few weeks Sox fans could be asking questions about the #4 and #5 slots! (signing BOTH Loazia and Heredia could turn out to be pretty shrewd)

Lip

moochpuppy
03-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
It's a week into Spring Training.

Where have I seen this before?

bc2k
03-06-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by spanishwhite
the fifth spot?

Since the #5 starter is only getting 8 of the first 55 starts, I'm buying into the belief that a veteran might be best suited for that role. Loaiza was just quoted as saying he wanted to pitch another inning or two in his last ST start. Cooper said no. He seems like the early front-runner to me.

Who is this Brian Cooper fellow? I've heard his name a couple times and wondered if he was a son of Don. I thought Brian might have been a "favor" pick up due to his dad. I'm not going to get excited about 2 2/3 innings of work, but I'll definately listen more the next time he pitches.

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-06-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by bc2k

Who is this Brian Cooper fellow?

i think he was on The Wonder Years.