PDA

View Full Version : The Red Sox are not "SOX"

A.T. Money
03-04-2003, 04:48 PM
I hate to go on a rant here, but this has really become a pet peeve of mine.

I HATE when people refer to the Red Sox as the "Sox". It seriously drives me nuts.

The White Sox are the original "Sox". Always have, always will be. Our caps and uniforms even say "Sox". The Red Sox have never put just the word "Sox" on their uniforms.

czalgosz
03-04-2003, 04:58 PM
And the White Sox is an older name - the Boston club is just a copycat.

Up until 1918, the Boston AL team was known as the Pilgrims.

EDIT: of course, we won't talk about where the Sox got their name...

jortafan
03-04-2003, 05:46 PM
Why NOT talk about where the Sox got their nickname?

It's actually the perfect example of how stupid, petty, pathetic and lame the Chicago National League baseball club is. Not only that, it also shows they're losers, since it was part of their effort to keep our favorite ballclub from ever establishing itself, which failed because we're still here, 103 years later.

And in the one confrontation that does count ('06), we're one up on them.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-04-2003, 07:38 PM
i was discussing this with my dad earlier, most of the time when i hear the word sox referring to the red sox is on espn, espn gets the most ratings from the east coast. but it really does tick me off :angry:

SoxRulecubsdrool
03-04-2003, 08:16 PM
I also find this annoying. When the whole Kenny Rogers thing was being talked about, I was jumping around on the AOL boards. Checking out the rumor board and free agent board. EVERYBODY refers to the Red Sox as the Sox. :angry: It gets to you after a while!

LuvSox
03-04-2003, 08:24 PM
My faves---- BlowSox, Red Sux, East Coast Cubs

chisox06
03-04-2003, 09:55 PM
Exactly that has always driven me nuts to. I mean they have a B on there cap and we have "SOX" pretty self explanitory to me but the national sports world doesn't see it that way for some reason.

Hangar18
03-06-2003, 01:13 PM
Ive noticed that too....Pretty damn Annoying. ESPN does their, "heres an update for the Sox" and im always thinking their talking about the WHiteSox, not the RedSox. We were HERE FIRST, and YES, have the DANG NAME "SOX" on our jerseys, and even did way back in the day. Boston is the copy-cat and should relinquish being called the "sox". I do think they should go with "BO-SOX". now THAT sounds like them.

Foulke You
03-06-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Ive noticed that too....Pretty damn Annoying. ESPN does their, "heres an update for the Sox" and im always thinking their talking about the WHiteSox, not the RedSox. We were HERE FIRST, and YES, have the DANG NAME "SOX" on our jerseys, and even did way back in the day. Boston is the copy-cat and should relinquish being called the "sox". I do think they should go with "BO-SOX". now THAT sounds like them.

Some people in Boston refer to our team as the "Sox". In fact, when in Fenway Park last year in full White Sox attire, I was surprised when a group of 4 Red Sox fans playfully heckled me and screamed out "Sox Suck!!!". I was happy they referred to my team as the "Sox" but they left themselves open for my comeback of "only the red ones!!" :D: I also got into a discussion about baseball with a local bartender who referred to my team as "your Sox" and his team as "our Sox". It is all rather confusing. It is more of an east coast thing though. Most midwesterners refer to us as the "Sox". Heck, even the old jerseys that Joe Jackson wore before the Boston franchise was called the Red Sox had the big "SOX" on the front of the jersey. It is annoying but keep in mind that we are fans of the real "Sox".

A.T. Money
03-06-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
keep in mind that we are fans of the real "Sox".

Amen.

TheBigHurt
03-06-2003, 05:41 PM
Of course when i meet someone new and say i am a sox fan they always think im talking about the Red Sox. it pisses me off. they never ask which sox they assume i like the red sox untill of course i tell them the which sox.

and this probaly happens since of the yankeee redsox rival around here

T Dog
03-06-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I also got into a discussion about baseball with a local bartender who referred to my team as "your Sox" and his team as "our Sox". It is all rather confusing.

Like once I was agreeing with someone who told me Wrigley Field was a good place to watch a baseball game, until I realized he wasn't talking about the home of the Los Angeles Angels.