PDA

View Full Version : Baker to Manage NL All-Stars....what BS

Hangar18
03-04-2003, 11:26 AM
Looks like MLB will announce today that Dusty Bakers going to manage the NL all stars over at the Cell. I think its TOTAL BS. The TEAM that went to the World Series should reap the Advantages of sending its Manager to the All-Star Game. Hes not a GIANT anymore, so It shouldve gone to the NL runner up Cardinals/Tony LaRussa. It Favors the Cubs UNFAIRLY now, for doing nothing more than being the first Hobo at the Trash Can. How could Bud Selig allow this?? Baker is already taking Credit for being the 1st Cub Mgr since "1946" to Manage the NL all-stars. Hes already yukking it up w the media. Theres a Reason the Cubs havent had an NL All-Star Mgr by now....BECAUSE THEY HAVNT BEEN TO THE WORLD SERIES. This is a JOKE. NOw you know whats going to happen next right?
Hes going to do what Torre does every year (which is the spoils of going to the Series) Hes GoING TO LOAD THE NL TEAM with CUBS (most who will not be deserving) and decidedly taking away the Built In "PERKS" that going to the WORLD SERIES BRINGS (such as notoriety, extra media-coverage, ability to load your team with YOUR players) This is the Cubs Reward for Losing almost 100 games last year? A chance to pretend they went to the Series the Year Before? cant tell you how Fuming Mad I am at this come July....

fuzzy_patters
03-04-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Looks like MLB will announce today that Dusty Bakers going to manage the NL all stars over at the Cell. I think its TOTAL BS. Hes not a GIANT anymore, so It shouldve gone the the NL runner up Cardinals/Tony LaRussa. It Favors the Cubs UNFAIRLY now, for doing nothing more than being the first Hobo at the Trash Can. How could Bud Selig allow this?? Baker is already saying its the 1st TIME since "1946" that a Cub Mgr has been the All-Star MGR. Hes already yukking it up w the media. Theres a Reason the Cubs havent had an NL All-Star Mgr by now....BECAUSE THEY HAVNT BEEN TO THE WORLD SERIES. This is a JOKE. NOw you know whats going to happen next right?
Hes going to do what Torre does every year (which is the spoils of going to the Series) Hes GoING TO LOAD THE NL TEAM with CUBS, most who will NOT BE DESERVING. cant tell you how Fuming Mad I am at this come July....

That's not such a bad thing. Now Maggs gets to hit more All-Star homers off of Cubs pitchers.

moochpuppy
03-04-2003, 11:29 AM
Welcome back to the All-Star game Eric Karros and Mark Grudzielanek!

LuvSox
03-04-2003, 11:39 AM
That's it, I've had enough. Let's go Hanger, were gonna pillage the north side! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH--------I HATE THE CUBS !!!!!!!!!!!

Hangar18
03-04-2003, 12:02 PM
Dont Get me started on that team....

czalgosz
03-04-2003, 12:16 PM
So who should be the NL All-Star Manager? Felipe Alou?

moochpuppy
03-04-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
So who should be the NL All-Star Manager? Felipe Alou?

I think its TOTAL BS. Hes not a GIANT anymore, so It shouldve gone the the NL runner up Cardinals/Tony LaRussa.

I agree.

Hangar18
03-04-2003, 12:24 PM
The TEAM should be rewarded, not the MGR. I know that was the thought process when the subject came up back in 1933. The Mgr SHOULD BE ALOU...but there already has been an Historical Precedent already set for just such a matter (someone here posted who/when that happened before, therefore making TonyLaRussa the would - be manager) Basically, A manager left the team, after going to the world series, and the next year, The RUNNER UP FROM THAT LEAGUE managed the the All-Stars. Why The Change in PRECEDENT??? Is it a Conspiracy to Give a "CHICAGO"/"FEEL GOOD" spin on this? LOOK, the lovable losers have a mgr in the game for the first time since the 20th Century!!! TOTAL BS

Hullett_Fan
03-04-2003, 12:36 PM
NOw you know whats going to happen next right?
Hes going to do what Torre does every year (which is the spoils of going to the Series) Hes GoING TO LOAD THE NL TEAM with CUBS, most who will NOT BE DESERVING. cant tell you how Fuming Mad I am at this come July....

It's not such a bad thing to have a ton of Cubs on the squad. The NL would no doubt lose and the AL team would have home-field for the World Series (Selig's new rule this year to add 'excitement' to All Star Game)....sooooo, our Sox (fingers-crossed) would have home-field in the series!!!

Hangar18
03-04-2003, 12:39 PM
Sox Fans and Baseball Fans Alike. I say Again....
How Does Rewarding a Team with the PRIVILEDGE of sending its Manager to Lead an All-Star Team when the best they could do the Previous Season was Lose Nearly 100 Games? How does a team/mgr now have the same Power as a Joe Torre? This is a Farce

Cheryl
03-04-2003, 12:59 PM
I don't know why anyone cares. It's just the All Star Game. Boring, if you ask me.

czalgosz
03-04-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
I don't know why anyone cares. It's just the All Star Game. Boring, if you ask me.

I almost feel like a blasphemer saying this, but I never watch the All-Star game. I might watch this year, just for the Chicago thing, but normally it's like watching a celebrity Rock & Jock softball special. It's fairly obvious that most of the players are dogging it out there.

Sad
03-04-2003, 01:20 PM
:whiner:
let it go already

focus on our upcoming season and positive vibes.

Baker deserves to be there plain & simple

Brian26
03-04-2003, 01:45 PM
Hangar: Chill out, daddy.

Let Dusty put Kerry Wood in as an NL pitcher so PK and Mags can sit on one of his mediocre 91 mph fastballs and give the AL the victory.

LaRussa should have had the position though.

Hangar18
03-04-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Brian26

Let Dusty put Kerry Wood in as an NL pitcher so PK and Mags can sit on one of his mediocre 91 mph fastballs and give the AL the victory.

heh heh, I need to laugh your right. Im just already imagining the Media Cub Love affair for Baker in the all-star game and letting it get to me. That would be AWESOME to see that wouldnt it? Maggs going deep in the All-Star game?

czalgosz
03-04-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Brian26

Didn't Wood set some sort of record last year or the year before for the highest percentage of his strikeouts coming against opposing pitchers, or am I imagining things again?

moochpuppy
03-04-2003, 02:22 PM
heh heh, I need to laugh your right. Im just already imagining the Media Cub Love affair for Baker in the all-star game and letting it get to me.

You are absolutely correct. Now the focus will come off of the Sox and USCF and move directly over to the Cubs and how they haven't had an All-Star manager since blah, blah, blah. If Baker had taken a job in the American League you think they would have allowed two AL managers to coach the game?!? I don't think so.

Hangar18
03-04-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
You are absolutely correct. Now the focus will come off of the Sox and USCF and move directly over to the Cubs and how they haven't had an All-Star manager since blah, blah, blah. If Baker had taken a job in the American League you think they would have allowed to AL managers two coach the game?!? I don't think so.

What If the Cubs hadnt been the ONLY team to want Baker? What if he went to the Chunichi Dragons in Japan? would he then be wearing a Chunichi uniform writing out the lineups??
Bud Selig, how could you mess up something this easy. 2 all-star games, two controversies in a row. Baker shouldve been the gentleman, and declined the offer. Talk about charity.

Pete_SSAC
03-04-2003, 02:33 PM
So what?

Dusty loads upon Scrub players, and then if the plan to make the winning team of the All-Star game have home field advantage in the WS, that means that the Sox will have an edge.

I mean, come on, that's the NL's kiss of death.

- Pete

Iwritecode
03-04-2003, 02:38 PM
IIRC, this is the first time something like this has ever happened. I mean, how many times does a manager lose his job after leading his team to the WS? So basically, they are just keeping to tradition. The funny thing will be the confusion on the faces of the Cubs "fans".

They'll be wondering why they don't remember the Cubs being in the WS last year...

As far as the privledge and so-called "power" of managing the all-star game, it's really not a big deal. It's one game that's pretty much meaningless (except for that new, stupid homefield advantage rule). Who cares if the AS game is loaded with Flubs players. There's always players in there that don't deserve to be and vice versa...

doublem23
03-04-2003, 02:41 PM
Doesn't the MLB pick the rosters now so managers can't stack the team with their own players?

Pete_SSAC
03-04-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
IIRC, this is the first time something like this has ever happened. I mean, how many times does a manager lose his job after leading his team to the WS? So basically, they are just keeping to tradition. The funny thing will be the confusion on the faces of the Cubs "fans".

They'll be wondering why they don't remember the Cubs being in the WS last year...

As far as the privledge and so-called "power" of managing the all-star game, it's really not a big deal. It's one game that's pretty much meaningless (except for that new, stupid homefield advantage rule). Who cares if the AS game is loaded with Flubs players. There's always players in there that don't deserve to be and vice versa...

I can't remeber the year, but if I remeber, one year BOTH managers were on seperate teams the year after, and the job wen to the the runners up in the league.

Which means, it SHOULD beLaRussa.

- Pete

pudge
03-04-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC
I can't remeber the year, but if I remeber, one year BOTH managers were on seperate teams the year after, and the job wen to the the runners up in the league.

Which means, it SHOULD beLaRussa.

- Pete

Check Rob Neyer's archives on ESPN, I think he did a whole article on this, and it turned out there was some precedent for having the manager go to the All-Star game even if he switched teams.

Personally, I think a manager who leads his team to the World Series should get the All-Star position, regardless of what his fate is the next year. It's not Baker's fault that he couldn't come to an agreement with the Giants.

fuzzy_patters
03-04-2003, 02:47 PM
heh heh, I need to laugh your right. Im just already imagining the Media Cub Love affair for Baker in the all-star game and letting it get to me. That would be AWESOME to see that wouldnt it? Maggs going deep in the All-Star game?

Yes, it would be awesome. It was awesome the first time it happened, too.

czalgosz
03-04-2003, 02:50 PM
Well, it is sort of Baker's fault he couldn't work out a deal with the Giants. After all, he's the one that wouldn't sign.

Anyway, I don't really see the big deal here. It's not like the Cubs acheived anything by this (and the first sportswriter who gives any credit to the Cubs for this should get blasted). Maybe Baker could wear a Giants uniform for the game only or something.

Hangar18
03-04-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Check Rob Neyer's archives on ESPN, I think he did a whole article on this, and it turned out there was some precedent for having the manager go to the All-Star game even if he switched teams.

Personally, I think a manager who leads his team to the World Series should get the All-Star position, regardless of what his fate is the next year. It's not Baker's fault that he couldn't come to an agreement with the Giants.

Not true....the Precedent was the Runner UP MGRS going to the All Star games instead. THink what your referring to was the an instance where the World Series MGRS switched to the other world series team (thereby both TEAMS still being Represented, NOT THE MGRS THEMSELVES)

Unregistered
03-04-2003, 03:05 PM
Maybe Baker could wear a Giants uniform for the game only or something. Oh man, i would just be overjoyed with the uproar THAT would cause with the Chicago media. Imagine the fallout! Mariotti alone would slip into an unrelenting tirade and then finally spontaneously combust, leaving nothing but a bad hairpiece and a trail of mallomars and ho-ho's.

czalgosz
03-04-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Oh man, i would just be overjoyed with the uproar THAT would cause with the Chicago media. Imagine the fallout! Mariotti alone would slip into an unrelenting tirade and then finally spontaneously combust, leaving nothing but a bad hairpiece and a trail of mallomars and ho-ho's.

It would be fun, AND it's the only logical conclusion. Why should the Cubs get represented for something they didn't do? But at the same time, I don't think LaRussa or Felipe ALou should get the honor, either.

Actually, the best solution would be to give it to Bobby Cox. His team did have the best regular-season record, after all...

LuvSox
03-04-2003, 03:29 PM
This will be another chance for the Cubs to steal the limelight. I can see it now-- "the loveable losers haven't had a mgr in the all star game since '46, isn't that cute?" Meanwhile all the attention SHOULD be on the Sox, their stadium, their successful year. :angry:

czalgosz
03-04-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
This will be another chance for the Cubs to steal the limelight. I can see it now-- "the loveable losers haven't had a mgr in the all star game since '46, isn't that cute?" Meanwhile all the attention SHOULD be on the Sox, their stadium, their successful year. :angry:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves on the successful year thing... I made that mistake in '84, in '91, and in '01...

LuvSox
03-04-2003, 03:46 PM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves on the successful year thing... I made that mistake in '84, in '91, and in '01... ....hopefully.

Nixey 02
03-04-2003, 04:33 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Iwritecode
[B]IIRC, this is the first time something like this has ever happened. I mean, how many times does a manager lose his job after leading his team to the WS? So basically, they are just keeping to tradition. The funny thing will be the confusion on the faces of the Cubs "fans".

I doubt most Cub fans know that the All Star teams are coached by the managers from the preceding year's World Series. There will be no confusion, especially after Moronotti decrees that the decision is right, just, and great for Chicago.

longshot7
03-04-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Doesn't the MLB pick the rosters now so managers can't stack the team with their own players?
you are totally correct - this new rule was instituted to prevent the torre-ing of all star rosters - so dusty cannot load it with scrubs.

and as to the main argument, Dusty DID manage the NL champs - so he deserves to be the all-star mgr. Cubs, Giants, I hate em both... so lesser of two evils...

MRKARNO
03-04-2003, 06:56 PM
I believe that the manager deserves to manage the team. So when Dusty comes to USCF for the All-star game, boo him everytime he is recognized by the announcer or when he goes out to the mound. Do the same with Sosa as well (Does anyone really think sosa wont make the team barring an early injury?)

MAKE SURE THAT USCF ISN'T STACKED WITH TONS OF FLUB FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. This is our all-star game and they can wait 20 years for theirs. Don't sell your tickets to CUbs fans. NO CUBS FANS ALLOWED on All-star weekend. NONE. Maggs will beat Sammy in the homerun contest. That would be an interesting matchup. maggs won that thing earlier this year.

czalgosz
03-04-2003, 07:28 PM
Well, it's official now...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0304/1518071.html

The article mentions that Dick Williams managed the A's in the 1973 World Series, and then represented the AL as the Angels manager in the All-Star game in 1974.

Jerry_Manuel
03-04-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

Yes.

WhiteSoxWinner
03-04-2003, 11:38 PM
I don't buy this whole arguement that the manager gets the honor, and Dusty should retain the right to manage the team. How often do we hear that it is the team on the field that makes plays, advances the runner, etc. etc., and the manager has little to do with how the team performs. Fine, if this is the case, it was the Giants TEAM that deserves the honor, and so the Giants' manager that should be there at the All-Start game.

It is exactly true that Butt Selig is letting Baker do this for the "feel good" aspect. The Chicago media sychophants are falling all over it. What a joke!!! Like someone else said, they wouldn't let two AL managers go to the game if Baker was in the AL.

bigfoot
03-05-2003, 12:29 AM
Lighten up folks, Bud the Dud, HAS to ensure that there will not be another tie at an All-Star Game. What better way than to have a Cob, manage Cob players at Sox Park? The scoreboard pyrotechnic guys have ordered extra fireworks for this one! I predict that two Sox All-Stars will hit Grand Slams off Cobz pitching. Sweet Dreams!

bc2k
03-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by longshot7
you are totally correct - this new rule was instituted to prevent the torre-ing of all star rosters - so dusty cannot load it with scrubs.

and as to the main argument, Dusty DID manage the NL champs - so he deserves to be the all-star mgr. Cubs, Giants, I hate em both... so lesser of two evils...

So what's the rule. Managers can't pick any of their own players for the all-star roster? Do they cap them at 2 players? What?

fuzzy_patters
03-05-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I believe that the manager deserves to manage the team. So when Dusty comes to USCF for the All-star game, boo him everytime he is recognized by the announcer or when he goes out to the mound. Do the same with Sosa as well (Does anyone really think sosa wont make the team barring an early injury?)

MAKE SURE THAT USCF ISN'T STACKED WITH TONS OF FLUB FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. This is our all-star game and they can wait 20 years for theirs. Don't sell your tickets to CUbs fans. NO CUBS FANS ALLOWED on All-star weekend. NONE. Maggs will beat Sammy in the homerun contest. That would be an interesting matchup. maggs won that thing earlier this year.

I think the national media and most fans around the nation are still infatuated with Sosa. They haven't been exposed to his arrogance and stupidity on a day to day basis the way that Sox fans have. I believe there will be a big national outcry if Sox fans boo Sosa, and that is a night of Sportscenter I would love to see. This is Sox fans chance to once and for all show America how big a fraud Sosa really is.

Jerry_Manuel
03-05-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
So what's the rule. Managers can't pick any of their own players for the all-star roster? Do they cap them at 2 players? What?

I don't think there was ever an offical statement from MLB on this. From what I recall reading on espn.com the league office will have a hand in picking the bench players. Not sure if that means that the managers have no choice in the matter, or, if they submit their roster and MLB has the final call.

RKMeibalane
03-05-2003, 09:17 PM
This bothered me a few months ago when Baker first came to Chicago, but no more. Baker was the manager of the National League team that went to the World Series. In a way, I suppose he is actually more deserving of the honor to manage the All Star team now, because he will never return to the AS Game as the manager of the Cubs, unless he is part of the coaching staff.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Here's an interesting question:

What if Dusty Baker had left the pennant-winning Giants and went to work this season for an AMERICAN LEAGUE team?

Would you still believe he was entitled to manage the National League all star team? If not him, who?

Just playing devil's advocate, of course.

:gulp:

RKMeibalane
03-05-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

What if Dusty Baker had left the pennant-winning Giants and went to work this season for an AMERICAN LEAGUE team?

Would you still believe he was entitled to manage the National League all star team? If not him, who?

In that event, I would have selected Tony LaRussa or Felipe Alou as manager.

As a sidenote, I'm waiting for the day that Jerry Manuel will manage in the All Star game. I think his "tinkering" with the lineup would probably result in another tie, because he would run out of players.

fuzzy_patters
03-06-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Great point. What if he were dead? Would Darrin Baker inherit the right to manage the all-star team?

TommyJohn
03-09-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Great point. What if he were dead? Would Darrin Baker inherit the right to manage the all-star team?

Dusty here. Jeez, guys. Leave my kid alone, will ya? Just leave
him be. He told me "Father, I swear an oath unto thee before God that I shall never misbehave in such an unfortunate fashion and bring shame unto our family and baseball." So just cut it out,
will ya? :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: