PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Speaks to Phil Arvia ... About Hitting

joecrede
03-03-2003, 11:13 PM
Didn't see this column (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/arvia/x03-ard1.htm) posted. Thomas talked about what he worked on with Hriniak.

WinningUgly!
03-03-2003, 11:59 PM
"Last couple of years, I've come out of my (stuff) a little bit, trying to show everybody I could handle any ball thrown up there, and that's not my style. I'm more of a Wade Boggs kind of thing every day, it was programmed, hit what you can handle."

"The balls I can't handle, I don't think they can throw up there three times in a row," Thomas said. "That's our philosophy.

"Yeah, you can get that strike one, maybe strike two, but I don't think you can do it again. That's what I was so good at early in my career.

"Balls up and in, up and away, breaking balls out of the zone those are balls that aren't hittable, basically. Yeah, you can put good swings on them, but you really don't need to unless you have two strikes, and that's to foul it off and keep yourself alive."

"The homers will come," Thomas said. "They'll just happen. Those guys will find your bat 40 times a year.

"Just don't go out of your zone, looking for them."

"That's my goal," Thomas said. "I want to come back and be the hitter I've always been, not the home run hitter."

I love seeing quotes like these from Frank. Could be a fun year.

Randar68
03-04-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
I love seeing quotes like these from Frank. Could be a fun year.

With Frank, it has always been about mental approach. Walt knows how to get Frank to listen and believe like nobody else, for whatever reason. He so strong and has such a good swing, that even when he's off he can hit it out to any field as long as he is taking the right approach at the plate. He's saying the righ things, and thus far he's doing it, but it's too early to tell how long he'll stick with it. If he does the whole season, it's going to be frustrating for pitchers to have to pitch to him with Maggs behind him...

guillen4life13
03-04-2003, 08:49 PM
:b&b
Dude, Frank Thomas back on track.

Dude that sound awesome. Whoa! You said Thomas back on track! huh huh, huh huh, yeah!