PDA

View Full Version : Farmer is Completely Crazy!

kevingrt
03-03-2003, 04:38 PM
I know it has been mentioned on the game thread, but this is worthy of its own thread. But during the game Farmio made the comment that if Thomas has a bad spring training that Thomas won't make the team. This is completely ludacrious! Thomas will make the team regardless! JM might not have as much confidence in him, but he will make the team. Farmio is crazy, just had to mention that!

By the way nice game by Frank 2-3, 2 Doubles, RBi, and a Run.

sox_fan_forever
03-03-2003, 04:41 PM
You know, I heard Farmer say that the first time and I thought I must have heard wrong until I saw it mentioned here at WSI. Crazy...

Unregistered
03-03-2003, 04:58 PM
Yeah, he actually mentioned it a few times throughout the game and again during the Recap. Rooney seems to agree it seems, but there's no way that's happening. Management is anticipating a big year from Frank, and after all this contract madness and everything else, there's just no way that scenario comes up...

RKMeibalane
03-03-2003, 04:59 PM
I think Farmer has gotten into the stash of :bluerock.

SoxxoS
03-03-2003, 05:26 PM
Seriously, that is one of the most ludicris things I have heard. No joke. I will bet Farmer anything he wants to bet that Thomas is on the 25 man roster. I can't believe this is even a thread and we are talking about it.

:farmer

Have another one-:beer

voodoochile
03-03-2003, 05:30 PM
For those of us who can't or didn't listen, did he seem serious or was he being sarcastic?

If he was serious, the Sox need to hear from people that Farmer is full of crap and needs to be told to shut his trap.

czalgosz
03-03-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
For those of us who can't or didn't listen, did he seem serious or was he being sarcastic?

If he was serious, the Sox need to hear from people that Farmer is full of crap and needs to be told to shut his trap.

I certainly sounded like he was serious. It was pretty weird - it didn't sound like he was mad at Thomas or wanted him gone, it was like he was talking about Willie Harris or something. But then later he said, and I quote -

"Frank Thomas is the best right-handed hitter I've ever seen."

I honestly don't know what to say.

Unregistered
03-03-2003, 05:51 PM

If he was serious, the Sox need to hear from people that Farmer is full of crap and needs to be told to shut his trap. He was dead serious, and repeated it plenty of times. He said it in his "I know this might sound crazy, but..." tone, and Rooney who was right next to him basically agreed with everything he said. It was along the lines of "I'll tell you what, it's assumed that Thomas is a Lock to make this team out of spring training, but I think he's going to have to impress to prove that he still should be on this team come April...'' I think Farmer is just falling too far in love with Daubach or maybe it's the awesome presence of 6 foot 7 inch first baseman Scott Morgan that has him convinced that Thomas should start putting his house up on the market soon...

jeremyb1
03-03-2003, 06:10 PM
i believe if frank didn't make the team he'd collect the remainder of his contract (30 mil or so?) in full. maybe he wouldn't be able to exercise the options but he'd still get five million from us without swinging the bat once this season.

voodoochile
03-03-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i believe if frank didn't make the team he'd collect the remainder of his contract (30 mil or so?) in full. maybe he wouldn't be able to exercise the options but he'd still get five million from us without swinging the bat once this season.

No, Frank's options are guaranteed. He cannot collect less than $22M on this contract if he exercises those options. Farmer is losing it.

I want to know if he keeps this up. If so, I am going to start writing the Sox to complain.

FIRE FARMER, NOT FRANK!

Lookee there, I've already got a slogan...

:)

Daver
03-03-2003, 06:43 PM

FIRE FARMER, NOT FRANK!

Lookee there, I've already got a slogan...

Farmer is an idiot,he doesn't even know what Socks are.

Mammoo
03-04-2003, 09:43 AM
I have laid off Farmer because I thought I was missing something in the guy's work. I figured maybe he was so highly intelligent that everything he said was too genius-like for me to comprehend.

So, it is with much relief that I read these comments about "Farmio"! How in the world did he get this gig in the first place? Wasnít he buddies with Ron Schueler? I donít want to engage in ďInternet speculationĒ but there must have been a reason he was brought in other than raw broadcasting talent. He just always sounds a little loopy to me.

I didnít hear the Thomas comment but that one is way out there, even for EF. For what itís worth, Iím not a John Rooney fan either, but I think he would be better if he had a compelling sidekick with which to work.

Yeah, and whatís with the no socks look. Hey, Ed, I know youíve gone California but on the South Side we wear them once in a while; remember??? Hard to believe this guy went to St. Rita!

FanOf14
03-04-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo
Yeah, and whatís with the no socks look. Hey, Ed, I know youíve gone California but on the South Side we wear them once in a while; remember??? Hard to believe this guy went to St. Rita!

He went to Rita? I'll be damned. I went to St. Rita grammar (RIP) and was in the parrish (lived across the street from the school). I also went to Rita High School for band (that was the high school Maria (where I went) was associated with for marching band).

Cheryl
03-04-2003, 09:59 AM
Farmer's an idiot and always has been. I think it was PHG who called Rooney "Tofu" as in taking on the characteristics of whomever he is partnered with for a broadcast.

Hullett_Fan
03-04-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Cheryl
Farmer's an idiot and always has been. I think it was PHG who called Rooney "Tofu" as in taking on the characteristics of whomever he is partnered with for a broadcast.

I agree, I don't like Farmer. But I'm a big fan of John Rooney (he's the best play-by-play guy in Chicago). However, yes, Rooney has been hurt working with Farmer.

Farmer always talks about SoCal even if the Sox are playing in Detroit so it seems he'd rather be out west. Even though he was a St. Rita guy, he's been out in LA a long time and still lives there.

Juan Pizarro
03-04-2003, 12:10 PM
I like hearing Farmer when he goes after guys on other teams for not hustling and stuff. It's also useful to read between the lines of what he and Rooney say to divine what they're hearing from Sox management and coaching staff.
But take Farmer and Rooney seriously? Hell, they still like Styx.

Brian26
03-04-2003, 12:39 PM
Lay off the Farmer bashing. Yes, he's a little quirky, but that's what makes him fun to listen to. Do you want a generic guy like Wayne Hagin or Gary Thorne back? I don't mind a bit of quirky personality mixed in with knowledgeable insight. Is Farmer's commentating skill really related to whether or not he wears socks? It's his gimmick. Some guys wear sweater vests when announcing, others refuse to wear socks.

Rooney and Farmer are the best baseball broadcast team in town by far.

Hullett_Fan
03-04-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Lay off the Farmer bashing. Yes, he's a little quirky, but that's what makes him fun to listen to. Do you want a generic guy like Wayne Hagin or Gary Thorne back?

I liked Gary Thorne (but he's play by play and in NY - the #1 market now). I miss Don Drysdale and Frank Messer!

That's not saying much!

:chimp

"What about me and...

:carter

me!...Hey Jim Mc Mahon, do you still keep in touch with Pete Rozelle? Man I'm an idiot.

Brian26
03-04-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
I liked Gary Thorne (but he's play by play and in NY - the #1 market now

Blah. Gary Thorne is about as vanilla and generic as they come. Plus, he's a hockey guy first and foremost. I've always believed that your baseball announcers have to show allegiance to baseball before any other sport. Rooney does some NCAA basketball on the side, but he's a true baseball man.

Have you ever listened to annoucers from other cities on the radio or on the tv satellite packages? Trust me, the Sox announcers are fantastic compared to what else is out there.

I agree with you, Drysdale was pretty good, especially when Hawk was gone from the booth. I don't remember a lot about Messmer from his 2 years here except that he was a little slow in the booth because of his age.

Mammoo
03-04-2003, 01:36 PM
Yeah, that's good I suppose but you seldom hear them rip the home team for similar offenses. I guess that's a job security issue!

PaleHoseGeorge
03-04-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

To paraphrase somebody else, "I didn't say that... but I wish I had!"

Lip Man 1
03-04-2003, 08:50 PM
With respect, Don Drysdale and Hawk Harrelson were a much better team then Drysdale and Messer (who did the Yankees for years before coming to the Sox for one season, 1987)

In my opinion, they were the second best team of the last forty years behind harry and Jimmy.

Lip

SoxRulecubsdrool
03-04-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
He went to Rita? I'll be damned. I went to St. Rita grammar (RIP) and was in the parrish (lived across the street from the school). I also went to Rita High School for band (that was the high school Maria (where I went) was associated with for marching band).

I am a St. Rita HS grad and I always try to avoid the Ed Farmer association with the school. I believe he is not of this earth. :gulp:

bc2k
03-04-2003, 09:41 PM
Ed Farmer is the most intelligent, funniest baseball guy I've ever heard. Getting rid of Ed Famer would be a huge mistake. I appreciate his insight to the game and how easily he conveys it to his audience. He is not a cookie-cutter broadcaster. He does not use cliches. He does not spew out the obvious "analysis" that every other broadcaster does.

You will not find better cadence, voice, sarcasm, and insight in another broadcaster.

He offers his OWN insight to the game. He has his own theories that he tracks and talks about. Listening to Ed Farmer allows fans to experience new elements of baseball. One of his theories is how pitchers rarely throw to first to check a baserunner three times in a row. Does our first base coach know this? The first pitch after a pitching coach talks to his pitcher is usually a strike.

Comedy? Sarcasm? How about when he mentions how a player wears his sunglasses on his hat, "to protect the hat's logo from the blinding sun." How about, "I don't know why the outfield Twins' fans jumped out of their seats, it was a routine fly ball."

If you want to talk about idiots, Dave Wills is your topic. This is the biggest cliche spitting moron I have ever heard. He adds nothing to the game or the Sox.

And why does everyone rip on Farmer for not wearing socks? Ron Santo doesn't wear them either.

fuzzy_patters
03-05-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Ed Farmer is the most intelligent, funniest baseball guy I've ever heard. Getting rid of Ed Famer would be a huge mistake. I appreciate his insight to the game and how easily he conveys it to his audience. He is not a cookie-cutter broadcaster. He does not use cliches. He does not spew out the obvious "analysis" that every other broadcaster does.

You will not find better cadence, voice, sarcasm, and insight in another broadcaster.

He offers his OWN insight to the game. He has his own theories that he tracks and talks about. Listening to Ed Farmer allows fans to experience new elements of baseball. One of his theories is how pitchers rarely throw to first to check a baserunner three times in a row. Does our first base coach know this? The first pitch after a pitching coach talks to his pitcher is usually a strike.

Comedy? Sarcasm? How about when he mentions how a player wears his sunglasses on his hat, "to protect the hat's logo from the blinding sun." How about, "I don't know why the outfield Twins' fans jumped out of their seats, it was a routine fly ball."

If you want to talk about idiots, Dave Wills is your topic. This is the biggest cliche spitting moron I have ever heard. He adds nothing to the game or the Sox.

And why does everyone rip on Farmer for not wearing socks? Ron Santo doesn't wear them either.

I agree with everything you said. I think the best part about Farmer is that he realizes that if we are listening to him, we are probably not watching the game. He is great about telling us the little things that happen in the game. For example, we cannot see if a player forgets to back up a base or misses the cutoff man, and Farmer tells us about it.

Plus, I love his sarcasm. I used to love the way his voice trailed off when men were on base and he would have to say "here's Clayton." You could tell Farmer was not to thrilled to have Royce in the box.

Which reminds me or Rooney's Clayton call. When Royce would stand in Rooney's voice would raise when he said Clayton's name as if he were sighing.

I think that's the key with these guys. They will tell you how they feel by the tone in their voice if not by the words they use. Don't forget, they work for the Sox so they can't actually say "this guy sucks" all game long.

Bobby Thigpen
03-05-2003, 08:32 AM
Farmer is terrible. Whenever I can't watch the game and try to listen to it on the radio, Farmer makes it an extremely painful experience. I can't stand listening to him, he drives me nuts. I may be in the minority, but I would much rather listen to Hawk spout cliches and his standard lines than listen to Farmer's arrogance and bad humor.

dougs78
03-05-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by bc2k

I completely agree. I actually love listening to Farmer. He makes some of the funniest comments about some of the most mundane things. Getting rid of Farmer would be a huge mistake. I crack up every time I listen to him.

duke of dorwood
03-05-2003, 11:11 AM
Now that guys Farmer has scouted and can comment on are leaving the game, his value is diminishing. He's just not that good a broadcaster beyond that. And hang a gold star on that.

moochpuppy
03-05-2003, 11:42 AM
Lay off the Farmer bashing. Yes, he's a little quirky, but that's what makes him fun to listen to. Do you want a generic guy like Wayne Hagin or Gary Thorne back? I don't mind a bit of quirky personality mixed in with knowledgeable insight. Is Farmer's commentating skill really related to whether or not he wears socks? It's his gimmick. Some guys wear sweater vests when announcing, others refuse to wear socks.

Ed?

:D:

moochpuppy
03-05-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
In my opinion, they were the second best team of the last forty years behind harry and Jimmy.

Lip

I would love to have Harry and Jimmy back in their broadcasting prime.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-05-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
I would love to have Harry and Jimmy back in their broadcasting prime.

:harry&jimmy
"Boy, oh boy Jimmy, what I wouldn't do right now for an ice-cold Falllllll-staff!"

"You got that right, coach. I sure need to take a mean ****, too!"

"Oh, you got that right. Hey Jimmy, while you're up take one for me, too! Hahahahaha!"

kevingrt
03-05-2003, 04:24 PM
Wish I was alive for those days... I have heard nearly everything about it though

KonerkoPower14
03-06-2003, 04:17 PM
I am a sophmore at st.rita. Nobody hardly talks about him. Usually only about ahmad merritt of the bears.