PDA

View Full Version : Kenny's perception

gosox41
03-03-2003, 03:56 PM
I flipped on WSCR earlier today to see what was going on. George Offman was talking to Boers and Bernstein about spring training. He was saying how Kenny spent a lot of team talking to the media about trying to change his perception.

I do think the media is anti-Sox to a point. But I can honestly tell you that the media has gone out of the way to be too nice to Kenny. The only way he is going to change his image is to actually do his job well.

This is coming from the guy who causes controversey trading injured goods, gives up way too much for Todd Ritchie, undermines Manuel's authority, dumps a table of food at Comiskey because he's frustrated after a loss, speaks ill of his players to other GM's to name a few things.

To think the media has it in for you after a history like that is crazy. Kenny's deseved every word written about him because he is a terrible GM. If anything, more should have been made of his antics like trashing the after game spread and undermining JM's authority.

As nice as it is to have Bartolo Colon, it hardly makes up for all the incompetent things this guy has done in the last 2 1/2 years as Sox GM. But there's the media heaping praise on him for a great trade and he's still whining about his image. Based on Williams history as a GM, my guess is the reason KW gave up so little to get Colon is because he had Cashman holding his hand every step of the way.

KW needs to shut up. When he wins a World Series team he can talk. When he builds a team that can win a home playoff game he can talk. Heck, when he builds a team that acutally makes the playoffs he can talk.

Bob

Hangar18
03-03-2003, 05:00 PM
Well, if Kenny doesnt resolve the impending contracts of certain players by next year, the Critics will Scorch him again. IF he allows Bartolo Colon to leave after just one year.....he'll get scorched. its one thing to Get a Gift in Colon. Its another to take advantage of it and KEEP THE GUY on your staff. Thats the REAL measure of how good kenny is between NOW and the End of the season.

delben91
03-03-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Its another to take advantage of it and KEEP THE GUY on your staff. Thats the REAL measure of how good kenny is between NOW and the End of the season.

Assuming of course that JR allows Kenny to spend the money to keep Colon and doesn't demand a cut in payroll. Though he uses the line a lot, Kenny can only spend as much as Reinsdorf allows him to.

hold2dibber
03-03-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I flipped on WSCR earlier today to see what was going on. George Offman was talking to Boers and Bernstein about spring training. He was saying how Kenny spent a lot of team talking to the media about trying to change his perception.

I do think the media is anti-Sox to a point. But I can honestly tell you that the media has gone out of the way to be too nice to Kenny. The only way he is going to change his image is to actually do his job well.

This is coming from the guy who causes controversey trading injured goods, gives up way too much for Todd Ritchie, undermines Manuel's authority, dumps a table of food at Comiskey because he's frustrated after a loss, speaks ill of his players to other GM's to name a few things.

To think the media has it in for you after a history like that is crazy. Kenny's deseved every word written about him because he is a terrible GM. If anything, more should have been made of his antics like trashing the after game spread and undermining JM's authority.

As nice as it is to have Bartolo Colon, it hardly makes up for all the incompetent things this guy has done in the last 2 1/2 years as Sox GM. But there's the media heaping praise on him for a great trade and he's still whining about his image. Based on Williams history as a GM, my guess is the reason KW gave up so little to get Colon is because he had Cashman holding his hand every step of the way.

KW needs to shut up. When he wins a World Series team he can talk. When he builds a team that can win a home playoff game he can talk. Heck, when he builds a team that acutally makes the playoffs he can talk.

Bob

I didn't hear the report, so maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand why you contend that KW was "whining" about his image. If all KW said was that he was making an effort to change the public's perception of him, what's wrong with that? Seems like a good idea, since the public's perception of him is, largely, that he's in over his head and has undermined the team with spying and playing favorites. He can fix his images by fixing those things. I don't have a problem with that.

Dadawg_77
03-03-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Well, if Kenny doesnt resolve the impending contracts of certain players by next year, the Critics will Scorch him again. IF he allows Bartolo Colon to leave after just one year.....he'll get scorched. its one thing to Get a Gift in Colon. Its another to take advantage of it and KEEP THE GUY on your staff. Thats the REAL measure of how good kenny is between NOW and the End of the season.

It depends on what Colon wants? If he is looking for a big long term deal, I would say let him test the market. I don't think there will be much out there.

czalgosz
03-03-2003, 06:41 PM
With Colon, a lot will depend on what the Yankees' pitching staff looks like after this season. If they want Colon, chances are he'll be a Yankee, unless Steinbrenner decides to sell the team and work for Greenpeace or something.

If the Yankees don't want him, the Sox have as good a chance as anyone, unless Boras does wrong by his client and refuses to allow him to negotiate with the team.

Barring the Yankees, the best offer that Colon gets may well come from the Sox. They are the only ones with something to lose by not spending the money. And with a new austerity philosophy sweeping MLB, I don't think a bunch of teams will be all excited about him.

gosox41
03-03-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I didn't hear the report, so maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand why you contend that KW was "whining" about his image. If all KW said was that he was making an effort to change the public's perception of him, what's wrong with that? Seems like a good idea, since the public's perception of him is, largely, that he's in over his head and has undermined the team with spying and playing favorites. He can fix his images by fixing those things. I don't have a problem with that.

Granted this is George Offman doing the reporting so we expect some bias, but he made it sound like Kenny was out there trying to validate himself and his moves.

Kenny just needs to take it like a man and shut up and let his work do the talking. Kenny should practice what he preaches. He tells the players not to let the media get to them so why can't the same hold true for him?

Bob