PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Sox vs. Giants Game Thread 3-3-03


HawkDJ
03-03-2003, 03:00 PM
Expected to pitch today:
-Jon Garland
-Gary Glover
-Tom Gordon
-Corwin Malone
-Rick White
-Dave Sanders
-Neal Cotts

Sox lineup:
1) Willie Harris CF
2) Aaron Miles 2B
3) Frank Thomas 1B
4) Magglio Ordonez RF
5) Brian Daubach DH
6) Carlos Lee LF
7) Joe Crede 3B
8) Miguel Olivo C
9) Tim hummel SS

Come to chat someone...

FanOf14
03-03-2003, 03:03 PM
Being at work, I can't get into the chatroom. Can someone post occasionally to let the working stiffs in here who can't get into the chatroom in on what's going on in the game?

Thanks!!! :) :D: :) :D:

HawkDJ
03-03-2003, 03:04 PM
I'm the only one in the chatroom. (no school today! whoo) so I'll let you know.

duke of dorwood
03-03-2003, 03:09 PM
Frank drops foul pop-but Garland K's lead off man

LuvSox
03-03-2003, 03:11 PM
Nice hands Francis

Viva Magglio
03-03-2003, 03:13 PM
Did you hear Farmer say "Frank Thomas has to have a good spring to make this team."? I get the feeling Farmer doens't like Frank very much.

LuvSox
03-03-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Did you hear Farmer say "Frank Thomas has to have a good spring to make this team."? I get the feeling Farmer doens't like Frank very much. Yeah, no kidding. They won't let that play go either. Is there errors on foul balls?

czalgosz
03-03-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
They won't let that play go either. Is there errors on foul balls?

Yup.

HawkDJ
03-03-2003, 03:21 PM
Sox lead 1-0 after Thomas doubled and scored.

anewman35
03-03-2003, 03:23 PM
Notice how silent John has gotten all three times Ed has mentioned Frank not making the team? It's pretty entertaining, really.

czalgosz
03-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
Notice how silent John has gotten all three times Ed has mentioned Frank not making the team? It's pretty entertaining, really.

You can tell that Rooney is wondering what planet Farmer is living on...

HawkDJ
03-03-2003, 03:41 PM
Garland gives up a run in the top of the 3rd.

1-1

Lip Man 1
03-03-2003, 03:45 PM
Garland's sure getting hit isn't he? What 5 in three innings? Also gotta love those White Sox fundamentals, dropped pop up...nobody covering second when Cruz was running, Garland out of position covering home.

Amazing. We've got some really dumb players don't we?

Lip

gogosoxgogo
03-03-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Garland's sure getting hit isn't he? What 5 in three innings? Also gotta love those White Sox fundamentals, dropped pop up...nobody covering second when Cruz was running, Garland out of position covering home.

Amazing. We've got some really dumb players don't we?

Lip

Wouldn't be Sox baseball without em Lip

FanOf14
03-03-2003, 03:54 PM
Is Garland doing as badly as it sounds?

CHISOXFAN13
03-03-2003, 03:56 PM
The key thing is he scattered those six hits. He pitched well in crucial situations. I'm happy with the way things have gine with the top three starters so far....

czalgosz
03-03-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
Is Garland doing as badly as it sounds?

hard to tell on the radio, but it doesn't sound like they're hitting the ball hard off of Garland. It sounds like they're just dropping in.

kermittheefrog
03-03-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Garland's sure getting hit isn't he? What 5 in three innings? Also gotta love those White Sox fundamentals, dropped pop up...nobody covering second when Cruz was running, Garland out of position covering home.

Amazing. We've got some really dumb players don't we?

Lip

Well Lip, the MLBPA isn't exactly a sister organization of Mensa.

Unregistered
03-03-2003, 04:02 PM
I think Lip Just likes to criticize everything Sox... considering your sports journalist credentials, I'm kind of surprised the importance you're placing on the first couple of games of Spring Training, Lip... (Or should I take the Royals' 4-0 start as a sign of their 2003 dominance?)

RKMeibalane
03-03-2003, 04:11 PM
:hitless

"What's this I hear about problems with fielding? That wouldn't happen if I were still around. My fielding percentage is unparalled in Major League Baseball."

kermittheefrog
03-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
I think Lip Just likes to criticize everything Sox... considering your sports journalist credentials, I'm kind of surprised the importance you're placing on the first couple of games of Spring Training, Lip... (Or should I take the Royals' 4-0 start as a sign of their 2003 dominance?)

Oh I can tell Lip likes... make that LOVES criticizing everything White Sox. And I think we should all know and think about the fact that being a sports journalist doesn't gaurentee you know anything about baseball.

HawkDJ
03-03-2003, 04:26 PM
Hummel and Miles score on a double by Thomas.

3-1 Sox!

hold2dibber
03-03-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Hummel and Miles score on a double by Thomas.

3-1 Sox!

Okay, now I'm thoroughly confused - I thought someone else said Garland had given up 5 runs? :?:

For those of us without access to any real-time update, can someone please verify the score and the inning?

Unregistered
03-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I think we should all know and think about the fact that being a sports journalist doesn't gaurentee you know anything about baseball. Yeah, but given Lip's history on the board I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt... :D:

Unregistered
03-03-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
For those of us without access to any real-time update, can someone please verify the score and the inning? Hawk2DJ2K2 is right, it's 3-1 Sox, bottom of the 5th. Bases Loaded for Joe Crede...

FanOf14
03-03-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Okay, now I'm thoroughly confused - I thought someone else said Garland had given up 5 runs? :?:

For those of us without access to any real-time update, can someone please verify the score and the inning?

Glad to know that I wasn't the only one confused....

FanOf14
03-03-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Hawk2DJ2K2 is right, it's 3-1 Sox, bottom of the 5th. Bases Loaded for Joe Crede...

So......what did Crede do?!

Hangar18
03-03-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
I think Lip Just likes to criticize everything Sox... considering your sports journalist credentials, I'm kind of surprised the importance you're placing on the first couple of games of Spring Training, Lip... (Or should I take the Royals' 4-0 start as a sign of their 2003 dominance?)

HEY!!! you kids settle down back there! dont make me pull the car over!! meanwhile, the score of this game in arizona is
Top of 6th, Giants batting, Sox 3, SF 1.

czalgosz
03-03-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
Glad to know that I wasn't the only one confused....

Garland gave up 1 run on 5 HITS over 3 innings.

Unregistered
03-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Crede was a quick out. Swinging first pitch, end of inning. Now there's 2 outs in the top of the 6th... Glover pitching. 3-1 Sox. Neil Cotts pitched a 5 pitch 1-2-3 inning in the 5th, sounded like he did pretty well.

hold2dibber
03-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Garland gave up 1 run on 5 HITS over 3 innings.

Sheesh - what was the big hullaballo for? That's not bad at all for his first outing of S.T., particularly considering the difficulties pitchers can have out in AZ.

FanOf14
03-03-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Garland gave up 1 run on 5 HITS over 3 innings.

What was Lip complaining about then? :?: I normally side with him in regards to the Sox, but this one is confusing me.

Unregistered
03-03-2003, 04:55 PM
Bottom of the 6th... Olivo, Hummel, Harris due up... 3-1 Sox. Olivo lines out to center. Hummel grounds out to short. Harris hits a line drive into left center for a single. Aaron Miles grounds out to second. Sox outhitting the Giants 9-7.

3-1 Sox, top of the 7th.


Pitching Recap -

Jon Garland: 3 innings, 5 hits, 1 run
Corwin Malone: 1 inning, 1 hit
Neil Cotts: 1 inning, 0 hits
Gary Glover: 1 inning, 1 hit

czalgosz
03-03-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Sheesh - what was the big hullaballo for? That's not bad at all for his first outing of S.T., particularly considering the difficulties pitchers can have out in AZ.

Beats me. I didn't understand it, myself.

FanOf14
03-03-2003, 04:59 PM
What's the chances of Cotts making the team? I am imaging it will be an uphill battle for him, but is there a possiblity?

Unregistered
03-03-2003, 05:02 PM
Top 7th, Rick White pitching.... 3-1 Sox.
Career minor leaguer hits a pop-up to Lee in left, 1 out.
Albert Castillo hits a single up the middle. 1 on, 1 out.
Brumbaugh catches a ball at the warning track in right for the second out. 1 on, 2 out.
Carlos Valderrama strikes out to end the inning.

Mid 7, 3-1 Sox.

Rick White: 1 inning, 1 hit, 1 K

Hangar18
03-03-2003, 05:07 PM
Good recap Unregistered, thanks.
(why no name?)

Unregistered
03-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Bottom 7. 3-1 Sox.
Due up: T-Graf, Brumbaugh, Daubach

T-Graf grounds out to short.
Brumbaugh flies out to center.
Dau-Boy strikes out with authority.

Top 8.
3-1 Sox.

Unregistered
03-03-2003, 05:15 PM
Dave Sanders Pitching. Top 8th.

Ransom grounds out to the shortstop. 1 out.
Jason Ellison strikes out. 2 out.
Lance Neikro grounds out to first, 3 up 3 down.

Sanders' Line:
1 innings, 0 hits, 0 runs.

Bottom 8, 3-1 Sox.
Due Up:
Anthony Sanders, Morgan, Josh Paul...

Unregistered
03-03-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Good recap Unregistered, thanks.
(why no name?) "Piss_On_The_Cubs" was already taken :D: Actually, being "unregistered" saves time when i'm logging on at another computer... All i have to do is type my password. Call me lazy... :D:

LuvSox
03-03-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
"Piss_On_The_Cubs" was already taken :D: Actually, being "unregistered" saves time when i'm logging on at another computer... All i have to do is type my password. Call me lazy... :D: Go read Unregistered's profile. :)

Unregistered
03-03-2003, 05:26 PM
Bottom 8, 3-1 Sox. Sanders, Morgan, Paul due up...

Sanders flies out to deep right (apparently on a "normal" day, thats a HR). 1 out.
Scott Morgan (Who? Apparently the guy is 6'7") strikes out. 2 outs.
Josh Paul walks. 1 on, 2 out.
Josh Paul takes second base on a wild pitch.
Tim Hummel strikes out looking on a 3-2 pitch. inning over.

(Farmer and Rooney think that Olivo may start the season in the minors, but they concede that they have no idea. They're also saying that Borchard is making a real strong case for coming up north with the team after ST...)


top 9, 3-1 Sox. Gordan Due to close.

LuvSox
03-03-2003, 05:31 PM
A White Sox winner :gulp:

Unregistered
03-03-2003, 05:33 PM
Tom Gordan pitching the 9th:

Some Guy hits a grounder to short. 1 out.
Brian Simmons(!) flies out to right center. 2 out.
Linden strikes out on an apparently "nasty" pitch. 3 up, 3 down.

Sox Win, 3-1.


TWO IN A ROW! yee haw. Good, solid pitching today.

FanOf14
03-03-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
TWO IN A ROW! yee haw. Good, solid pitching today.

It's the good solid pitching two days in a row in Arizona that's making me happy!

Unregistered
03-03-2003, 05:46 PM
Game Notes:

Quick Hitting Notes:
Daubach went 1-4
Carlos lee 1-2 with a walk
Joe crede is 0-9 this spring
Olivo 1-3 with a double
Thomas had a couple of hits and 2 rbi (Farmer still saying that Thomas has to impress to make the team this spring)

Pitching:

0 walks from white sox pitching

Garland 3 innings 6 hits, one run earned 1 k
malone, glover, white 1 inning one hit one k
1-2-3 closeout from Gordan

Cotts is being compared a lot to MB. They say he's a way's away from the big leagues but looks good.

Rauch is starting Wednesday night vs. Elmer Dessens and the Diamondbacks
(who we apparently play 125 times this spring)

Unregistered Out... (heh heh)

Unregistered
03-03-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
It's the good solid pitching two days in a row in Arizona that's making me happy! With MB and Colon I guess I expect a good outing...2 days in a row in Arizona is good, and it's the solid effort from the supporting cast that really is a positive thing.

Hangar18
03-03-2003, 05:52 PM
If I heard right, that gwrbi by Big Frank, the pitch he hit, he went the other way. when he starts doing that...LookOut AL.

delben91
03-03-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered

Pitching:

0 walks from white sox pitching


Now that's what I love to see.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more offense from the Sox. Haven't had the whole starting lineup in there yet though, so I'm not overly concerned.

Chisox_cali
03-03-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
I think Lip Just likes to criticize everything Sox... considering your sports journalist credentials, I'm kind of surprised the importance you're placing on the first couple of games of Spring Training, Lip... (Or should I take the Royals' 4-0 start as a sign of their 2003 dominance?)

Hey pessimistic Sox fans need their Spring Training too! :) Nothing worse than pulling a hammy, insulting a Sox player, I hear you're never the same person after those kinds of injuries...

fuzzy_patters
03-03-2003, 10:49 PM
Am I the only one that is concerned that the Sox have failed to score more than 4 runs in a game? These games are being played in Arizona! Four runs is almost like scoring 2 in Chicago. I know it's only spring training, but I get concerned when hear the Sox stranding a lot of runners. That's a thing that can get to be habitual, and I hope the Sox can turn it around before March 31.

Lip Man 1
03-04-2003, 12:54 AM
OK gang:

I see Andrew the "self proclaimed genius" is taking personal shots again.

(Just ignore the child dear, he'll go away soon to play with his friends who also think he's a genius.)

Unregistered says:

I think Lip Just likes to criticize everything Sox... considering your sports journalist credentials, I'm kind of surprised the importance you're placing on the first couple of games of Spring Training, Lip... (Or should I take the Royals' 4-0 start as a sign of their 2003 dominance?)

No, wins and losses in Spring training don't amount to much HOWEVER do you think the Sox are going to start suddenly throwing to the correct base, driving in men from 3rd with less then two outs, bunting properly and not making dumb base running mistakes because the month suddenly changes to April?

Do you think they can turn it on and off like a water hose?

I don't.

If they are making these mistakes now (for what the 5th year in a row?) what's going to happen say on April 25th against the Twins, a team that does NOT beat themselves. If this race is as close as many are saying it's going to be, giving away a game or two or three could make all the difference in the world.

As far as Garland, five hits in three innings is NOT good... as Andrew "the genius" would tell you that's an unacceptable hits per innings pitched ratio. (Surprised Andrew that I know something about your "mystical cult" that knows all, sees all and can predict the future?)

All I'm saying gang is that the Sox have to set the tone for the season NOW, when the games do not count and I'm not seeing that again.

One last word please, I'm not ashamed of my profession. I fail to understand why others who either haven't tried it or couldn't cut it, seem to think there is something wrong with doing it. Personally I can't think of anything more boring then someone who spends all day pouring over numbers so that they can say they are a "genius" in their fanatsy leagues. Talk about needing to get a life!

Sorry if I insulted some of you, but I didn't start this one and I damn well aren't going to take from some snot nosed high school geeks.

Lip

Chisox_cali
03-04-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1


No, wins and losses in Spring training don't amount to much HOWEVER do you think the Sox are going to start suddenly throwing to the correct base, driving in men from 3rd with less then two outs, bunting properly and not making dumb base running mistakes because the month suddenly changes to April?

Do you think they can turn it on and off like a water hose?

I don't.

Lip

Now, I didn't hear the game today so I don't know who did what in the "mistakes" category, maybe someone could tell me, but looking at todays line-up Only Maggs, Frank, Lee, Crede, and possibly Olivo, are going to be in are projected starting line up. If it's guys like Morgan, Miles, Brumbaugh, and Hummel, who aren't gonna be on the team come March 31, that made the mistakes, I don't think it really makes a difference. I don't think the veterans and others projected in our line-up will see these guys making mistakes, and follow suit. I think they no better than that.

And, on a side note, I'll have you know I graduated High School last June! :D:

kermittheefrog
03-04-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
OK gang:

I see Andrew the "self proclaimed genius" is taking personal shots again.

(Just ignore the child dear, he'll go away soon to play with his friends who also think he's a genius.)

Unregistered says:

I think Lip Just likes to criticize everything Sox... considering your sports journalist credentials, I'm kind of surprised the importance you're placing on the first couple of games of Spring Training, Lip... (Or should I take the Royals' 4-0 start as a sign of their 2003 dominance?)

No, wins and losses in Spring training don't amount to much HOWEVER do you think the Sox are going to start suddenly throwing to the correct base, driving in men from 3rd with less then two outs, bunting properly and not making dumb base running mistakes because the month suddenly changes to April?

Do you think they can turn it on and off like a water hose?

I don't.

If they are making these mistakes now (for what the 5th year in a row?) what's going to happen say on April 25th against the Twins, a team that does NOT beat themselves. If this race is as close as many are saying it's going to be, giving away a game or two or three could make all the difference in the world.

As far as Garland, five hits in three innings is NOT good... as Andrew "the genius" would tell you that's an unacceptable hits per innings pitched ratio. (Surprised Andrew that I know something about your "mystical cult" that knows all, sees all and can predict the future?)

All I'm saying gang is that the Sox have to set the tone for the season NOW, when the games do not count and I'm not seeing that again.

One last word please, I'm not ashamed of my profession. I fail to understand why others who either haven't tried it or couldn't cut it, seem to think there is something wrong with doing it. Personally I can't think of anything more boring then someone who spends all day pouring over numbers so that they can say they are a "genius" in their fanatsy leagues. Talk about needing to get a life!

Sorry if I insulted some of you, but I didn't start this one and I damn well aren't going to take from some snot nosed high school geeks.

Lip

Lip, it's not even worth my time to explain to you how wrong you are. Everyday it shocks me how little you actually understand about baseball.

kermittheefrog
03-04-2003, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Am I the only one that is concerned that the Sox have failed to score more than 4 runs in a game? These games are being played in Arizona! Four runs is almost like scoring 2 in Chicago. I know it's only spring training, but I get concerned when hear the Sox stranding a lot of runners. That's a thing that can get to be habitual, and I hope the Sox can turn it around before March 31.

Yes. It's just a few games and the good hitters only play half the game.

Vsahajpal
03-04-2003, 02:53 AM
I don't think it matters much for pitchers at this point. Jon Garland is a lock to make the club, more than likely he was working on his secondary and tertiary stuff, and he'll continue to do so in his next couple of outings. You'll get a better indication nearer the Spring Solstice...Vernal equinox...heh

Lip Man 1
03-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Andrew:

You already made your point when you decided to make a personal attack against me.

I didn't start this.

You are an egotistical, immature individual who has almost a pathological desire to be "right" (and admired). That's shown just by looking at the crawl that you use under your picture of Kenny Williams. What caused you to have so little regard for yourself and common courtesy?

By the way, I have received some private e-mails today from others on this board who are just as sick and tired of your antics as I am. They would like to know what your "problem" is. So would I. (If those individuals wish to make themselves known to you they can do it themselves)

I just want to talk baseball. I can disagree with you (and have) without getting personal, it seems you can't.

Before you continue to rip what I do for a living, try going out into the world and doing something yourself. (So I can have the chance to rip the stupid things that you say or do on your job!)

and since we're on the subject, think about this:

Jay Mariotti is an idiot to you and others but he makes more money then 75% of the posters EVER will who use this board.

Paul Sullivan may not know the closet double star system to Earth but he knows enough NOT to be in Chicago in February

Phil Rogers may not know the square root of pi but he knows how to figure out his expense reports from last year's World Series.

Now who's stupid Andrew?

When you'd like to get into a sports discussion and conduct yourself as a polite adult instead of a petulant child I'd be more then happy to accomodate you.

I appreciate the statistical numbers that you bring to any discussion (even if I and others think you go overboard) but you can lose the "attitude" that you also carry along with you. There's only one God in the universe and you aren't him.

Lip

Lip Man 1
03-04-2003, 01:14 PM
As far as yesterday's mistakes...Thomas dropped a pop up, and Farmer pointed out that Garland was in the wrong position covering on a play.

I listened to four innings of the game yesterday (before I had to go to work) and Rooney / Farmer pointed out four mistakes the Sox made.

The day before they pointed out the missed scoring opportunities the Sox blew (Farmer did mention that it is early in spring training but he also said these are the kind of mistakes that can continue unless they are corrected now.)

Lip

Juan Pizarro
03-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Midseason form on the flames, I see.

Gotta remember these are D(on't) M(ean) S(***) games.

Still, fundamental errors are always troubling. And scattering singles and getting out of scrapes was, I thought, a sign of maturity.

Still, do not fret too much over the DMS games.

czalgosz
03-04-2003, 01:22 PM
Well, I think the point that Kermit was trying to make was that you never have ANYTHING positive to say about ANYONE in the organization over the past 25 years.

Certainly someone, somewhere, has done something right. I don't mind criticism of the Sox, but the constant, pounding unrelenting negativity gets old.

I agree, however, that personal attacks have no place here. Name-calling and flame wars is the main reason I left the board last season. I really hope that doesn't return.

Hangar18
03-04-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Well, I think the point that Kermit was trying to make was that you never have ANYTHING positive to say about ANYONE in the organization over the past 25 years.

Certainly someone, somewhere, has done something right. I don't mind criticism of the Sox, but the constant, pounding unrelenting negativity gets old.

I agree, however, that personal attacks have no place here. Name-calling and flame wars is the main reason I left the board last season. I really hope that doesn't return.

Wait,,,what have the sox accomplished in the last 25 Years? Since 1977, theyve won the division 3 times. Out of those 3 times, they never made it to the World Series. The were "good" enough (arguably) probably 7 of those other years, but didnt Do ENOUGH to get to the promised land. 3 division titles out of 25 Is Pathetic. I wouldnt have Good Things to say about this Organization Either Personally. 1994 was our year, and personally I hold it against Reinsdorf for taking that Away From Us. As far as im concerned, til the Sox get to the World Series, they'll have Years of Negativity from their fans to Carry Around.
I also agree that Personal Attacks have no place here. I like the differences of opinions, and seeing where everyone is coming from. The name calling is really childish and "Cub" like.

czalgosz
03-04-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Wait,,,what have the sox accomplished in the last 25 Years? Since 1977, theyve won the division 3 times. Out of those 3 times, they never made it to the World Series. The were "good" enough (arguably) probably 7 of those other years, but didnt Do ENOUGH to get to the promised land. 3 division titles out of 25 Is Pathetic. I wouldnt have Good Things to say about this Organization Either Personally. 1994 was our year, and personally I hold it against Reinsdorf for taking that Away From Us. As far as im concerned, til the Sox get to the World Series, they'll have Years of Negativity from their fans to Carry Around.

I agree that there is a lot to criticize, and I don't want to stop anyone from expressing their opinions. However, IMO it undermines Lip's credibility when all he has to say is bad things about the Sox. It almost seems as if his criticisms stem from some deep-seated animosity towards the organization itself rather than anything else.

Lip has brought some really good points to the conversation, and has enlightened me personally about a lot of things about the Sox. However, I end up tuning a lot of it out, because so much of it tends to be rants against the organization, and that's a shame.

kermittheefrog
03-04-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Andrew:

You already made your point when you decided to make a personal attack against me.

I didn't start this.

You are an egotistical, immature individual who has almost a pathological desire to be "right" (and admired). That's shown just by looking at the crawl that you use under your picture of Kenny Williams. What caused you to have so little regard for yourself and common courtesy?



To be perfectly honest, I don't care what you think. I feel like I put TONS more effort than you do into knowing the game. Often times you don't even know basic rules like the 10/5 rule. You seem utterly clueless as to transaction and waiver rules. I don't care if people think I'm egotistical because I probably put more time and effort into knowing the game than 99% of fans. So I damn well know I'm informed.

Why have I made personal attacks against you? You've made unwarranted attacks towards me regarding topics that are virtually inarguable simply because you don't have as much knowledge of the baseball world as you would like to believe you do.

I'd venture a guess that most people who believe I'm egotistical or a jerk don't really know just how much time, effort and research I put into my knowledge of the game of baseball. They probably believe I shouldn't be as confident as I am but I have solid reasoning and evidence behind my opinions. I watch a lot of games, I read a lot and I pour over stats. I probably spend way too much time on things that have to do with baseball but I know my stuff.

delben91
03-04-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Phil Rogers may not know the square root of pi but he knows how to figure out his expense reports from last year's World Series.


As a computer engineering major, I'd just like to say that the square root of pi doesn't come up too often (at least for me). c though (speed of light) is proving a key contributor to making Field Theory lectures the bane of my existance...sorry for the digression :cool:

doublem23
03-04-2003, 03:49 PM
For the record, Kermit is the most intelligent baseball mind I've ever run across...

By far.

kermittheefrog
03-04-2003, 03:49 PM
BTW Lip, way to get on a high horse about payment and benefits that sports writers get. Personally I don't give a rat's ass about the pampered bastards. Most of them don't write honestly or with an educated opinion. So they deserves to be ripped apart for it.

And do you honestly believe you have a good understanding of the game of baseball?

FanOf14
03-04-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
For the record, Kermit is the most intelligent baseball mind I've ever run across...

By far.

I don't think anyone is questioning his baseball knowledge. What they (myself included in they) are speaking of is the way he relates it. The arrogant and condescending way he writes gets old after awhile.

doublem23
03-04-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
I don't think anyone is questioning his baseball knowledge. What they (myself included in they) are speaking of is the way he relates it. The arrogant and condescending way he writes gets old after awhile.

There are plenty of posters who come off as equally arrogant and condescending, but who don't know what they're talking about, yet still seem to think that everyone should take them seriously because of their "so-called credentials."

As far as I see it, Kermit is far more knowledgable about baseball than anyone I've ever run across.

kermittheefrog
03-04-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
For the record, Kermit is the most intelligent baseball mind I've ever run across...

By far.

Wow dude, that is probably the coolest compliment I've ever gotten. Thanks.

FanOf14
03-04-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
There are plenty of posters who come off as equally arrogant and condescending, but who don't know what they're talking about, yet still seem to think that everyone should take them seriously because of their "so-called credentials."

As far as I see it, Kermit is far more knowledgable about baseball than anyone I've ever run across.

Don't disagree with ya - that's probably why my ignore list has a few people on it.

Hangar18
03-04-2003, 04:22 PM
Kerm seems a bit bitter. I like what Lip and Kerm have to say, as long as its without pomp and circumstance. Chill out Kerm.
( I know, Im the same guy pissed at the media every day heh heh)

kermittheefrog
03-04-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Kerm seems a bit bitter. I like what Lip and Kerm have to say, as long as its without pomp and circumstance. Chill out Kerm.
( I know, Im the same guy pissed at the media every day heh heh)

Sorry, I do feel a little bitter about some things. Most notably when people think I'm 100% about stats.