PDA

View Full Version : The next "Messiah" signs

SoxxoS
03-02-2003, 10:22 PM
Bobby Brownlie (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20030302&content_id=207891&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp)

TornLabrum
03-02-2003, 10:24 PM
Does that make him Jesus #7?

Hangar18
03-02-2003, 10:57 PM
I knew he would sign. When he held out all this time, then didnt go to classes in the fall, then Spring Semester started, and the cubs thought for sure he was done, then found out he never went to class, that said for sure, this Guy Is All ABOUT THE MONEY.
I hope he gets whats coming to him .......
Karmas a Funny Thing. He kept saying in his press release "im glad the cubs took a chance on me", heh heh, hes spending his money already, has no idea what hes in for. He'll get everything he deserves

Hangar18
03-02-2003, 11:01 PM
Funny, I just saw my Post from 1/23. I guess Brownlie is another Greedy Athlete-Wanting-Big-Payday-First type of guy.
Funny how the Cubs have 3 of these guys in the last 3 yrs

jeremyb1
03-02-2003, 11:40 PM
i have to say, i hate the cubs as much as the next sox fan and i also hate boras and greedy players but none of that changes the fact that brownlie is a damn good prospect. i don't think its fair that the cubs have greater means to acquire brownlie than most teams, but that doesn't mean he's not excellent. it makes me ill to know that the cubs ended up with brownlie and hagerty, two consensus top 10 picks until signability and injury concerns dropped their stock and we ended up with royce ring.

i've always taken a lot of pride in our player developement and in the past we'd put great emphasis on it by doing things such as paying borchard a huge bonus. now, we're just drafting players we know we can sign and letting the cubs develop a much better system than us just because they will do what it takes to sign top players.

DrCrawdad
03-03-2003, 07:42 AM
According to one Cub fan, "...the Cubs 2002 draft one of the most impressive ever." Wonder if VIC would agree.

kevingrt
03-03-2003, 12:40 PM
"Jesus #7"

I know the first five Jesus' but who is #6?

Vsahajpal
03-03-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
According to one Cub fan, "...the Cubs 2002 draft one of the most impressive ever." Wonder if VIC would agree.

It is way too early to tell. They did have 8 of the first 100 picks, and they stocked up on power arms.

FanOf14
03-03-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
"Jesus #7"

I know the first five Jesus' but who is #6?

Wow, we have come far in technology, we're cloning the Son of God now... :o:

In all seriousness, who were the 7 Jesuses? Let's see how many I can guess...

Kerry Wood
Mark Prior
Bobby Brownlie

Okay, I give...that's about all I can come up with...I can think of a possible few others, but I've heard so many touted that I am not sure which ones are clones and which are wannabee clones... :?:

Vsahajpal
03-03-2003, 02:49 PM
I don't think Brownlie is quite in the class of a Prior or Wood, so he may be an apostle at best (right now).

Vsahajpal
03-03-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
Wow, we have come far in technology, we're cloning the Son of God now... :o:

In all seriousness, who were the 7 Jesuses? Let's see how many I can guess...

Kerry Wood
Mark Prior
Bobby Brownlie

Okay, I give...that's about all I can come up with...I can think of a possible few others, but I've heard so many touted that I am not sure which ones are clones and which are wannabee clones... :?:

All top prospects on all teams are touted.

FanOf14
03-03-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
All top prospects on all teams are touted.

I'll be damned, I didn't know that.

FYI - it was a joke.

I was responding to a post above referring to 7 Jesuses - TornLabrum. I am curious to know who he considered to be the 7 Jesuses.

czalgosz
03-03-2003, 03:17 PM

FYI - it was a joke.

I was responding to a post above referring to 7 Jesuses - TornLabrum. I am curious to know who he considered to be the 7 Jesuses.

Throw in Choi, Hill and Patterson.

kevingrt
03-03-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

Can we put in Dusty Baker and his son too?

czalgosz
03-03-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
Can we put in Dusty Baker and his son too?

Add in Mueller and Alou, and there's really no point to playing out the season. They really should just ship the championship trophy to Wrigley right now.

FanOf14
03-03-2003, 03:24 PM
I was thinking about adding Hill and Patterson, but wasn't sure if they qualified or not. Completely forgot about Choi - he's added to the list!

Vsahajpal
03-03-2003, 03:25 PM

FYI - it was a joke.

You could've fooled me.

FanOf14
03-03-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
You could've fooled me.

Apparently I did.

Vsahajpal
03-03-2003, 03:34 PM
Apparently I did.

No question.

lighttowerpower1
03-03-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

You forgot Gary Scott

Hullett_Fan
03-03-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by lighttowerpower1
You forgot Gary Scott

And Ty Griffin!! Luis Montanez, Julio Zuleta...Mike Harkey....

Dadawg_77
03-03-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I knew he would sign. When he held out all this time, then didnt go to classes in the fall, then Spring Semester started, and the cubs thought for sure he was done, then found out he never went to class, that said for sure, this Guy Is All ABOUT THE MONEY.
I hope he gets whats coming to him .......
Karmas a Funny Thing. He kept saying in his press release "im glad the cubs took a chance on me", heh heh, hes spending his money already, has no idea what hes in for. He'll get everything he deserves

Why are you upset for somebody trying to make the most money they can?

TornLabrum
03-03-2003, 11:24 PM
In response to a good portion of this thread:

Jesus #1: Brooks Kieschnick (or however it's spelled)
Jesus #2: Kerry Wood
Jesus #3: "Bean Ball" Christianson
Jesus #4: Corey Patterson
Jesus #5: Bobby Hill
Jesus #6: Hee Seop Choi

And 7 is probably too low an estimate. I'm sure we can find many other saviors over the past several years.

SoxxoS
03-03-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
In response to a good portion of this thread:

Jesus #1: Brooks Kieschnick (or however it's spelled)
Jesus #2: Kerry Wood
Jesus #3: "Bean Ball" Christianson
Jesus #4: Corey Patterson
Jesus #5: Bobby Hill
Jesus #6: Hee Seop Choi

And 7 is probably too low an estimate. I'm sure we can find many other saviors over the past several years.

You forgot Prior!!!

Hangar18
03-04-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Why are you upset for somebody trying to make the most money they can?

Im mad at Brownlie for not sticking to his word. Tells me something about his character. dont have a problem w a guy wanting to making the most "cash money". But if he thought he was worth 4 million....he shouldve gone back to class, had a good season, and then get paid again in June. It was obvious he just wanted the money...no matter if it was the cubs that picked him or if it was the China Clippers. this guy doesnt Care about Playing as much as he cared about what Color his Lexus is going to be. Guys like him, Jd Drew, Mark Prior, Bobby Hill are making amateur athletes look bad.

Dadawg_77
03-04-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Im mad at Brownlie for not sticking to his word. Tells me something about his character. dont have a problem w a guy wanting to making the most "cash money". But if he thought he was worth 4 million....he shouldve gone back to class, had a good season, and then get paid again in June. It was obvious he just wanted the money...no matter if it was the cubs that picked him or if it was the China Clippers. this guy doesnt Care about Playing as much as he cared about what Color his Lexus is going to be. Guys like him, Jd Drew, Mark Prior, Bobby Hill are making amateur athletes look bad.

What Brownlie did is called negotiating. He used the only leverage he had because of a illegal system. So who is to say he he doesn't care about playing the game? He couldn't get as good as he is, if he didn't care about the game. So why player hate? Hate the game not the player.

TornLabrum
03-04-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
You forgot Prior!!!

And that makes him Jesus #8, if you don't count Messiahs Baylor and Baker. If you do, that makes him Jesus #10. Or did I forget Kevin Ory?

PaleHoseGeorge
03-04-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
And that makes him Jesus #8, if you don't count Messiahs Baylor and Baker. If you do, that makes him Jesus #10. Or did I forget Kevin Ory?

Hey, let's not forget Shammy comparing himself to Christ during contract negotiations back in '00.

:shammy
"Trinity... shminity. I'm #4!"