PDA

View Full Version : This Quote Makes Me Nervous


Mammoo
03-02-2003, 11:44 AM
After his recent pummeling, Wright said:

"You never disregard the numbers because you want to do well and pitch to the best of your ability. It's tough because you want to do well and, more importantly, get your work in and get ready for the season."

It's extremely early so no sense in panicking, but when I hear a pitcher talk about "getting his work in", I wonder.

Seems I heard that a lot last year, along with problems with the Arizona air!

RedPinStripes
03-02-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo
After his recent pummeling, Wright said:

"You never disregard the numbers because you want to do well and pitch to the best of your ability. It's tough because you want to do well and, more importantly, get your work in and get ready for the season."

It's extremely early so no sense in panicking, but when I hear a pitcher talk about "getting his work in", I wonder.

Seems I heard that a lot last year, along with problems with the Arizona air!

If it's happening in a month i'll start to get a small concern.

duke of dorwood
03-02-2003, 01:33 PM
If he had his best stuff now and fell back, THEN I'd be concerned.

gosox41
03-02-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
After his recent pummeling, Wright said:

"You never disregard the numbers because you want to do well and pitch to the best of your ability. It's tough because you want to do well and, more importantly, get your work in and get ready for the season."

It's extremely early so no sense in panicking, but when I hear a pitcher talk about "getting his work in", I wonder.

Seems I heard that a lot last year, along with problems with the Arizona air!

It was the first game of spring training, hitters are ahead of pitchers, and the air is Arizona is thin. Right now it is all about getting your work in.

If the last 2 springs have taught us anything, it's that our offense isn't that great and our pitching isn't that horrible. Just take it with a grain of salt that the are going to be a lot of 10+ runs in spring training games for the Sox, on both sides of the ball. It's so frequent, I'd be concerned if it wasn't happening.

Bob

Mammoo
03-05-2003, 12:53 AM
From Whitesox.com:

"White Sox starter Dan Wright was roughed up for six runs in the second inning when the Rangers sent 10 men to the plate. Wright allowed six runs on five hits and two walks in two innings, while striking out five."

That's two...

gosox41
03-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo
From Whitesox.com:

"White Sox starter Dan Wright was roughed up for six runs in the second inning when the Rangers sent 10 men to the plate. Wright allowed six runs on five hits and two walks in two innings, while striking out five."

That's two...


GIve him time. Some players are known for their slow starts. Let's see how Wright does in April/May. I think he'll be better then this by then.

Bob

Lip Man 1
03-05-2003, 01:07 PM
"It's real early,'' Manuel said. "He's one of our guys. Hopefully he's just getting his arm in shape.''

Just wondering...and if he's not?????

Lip

Foulke You
03-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
"It's real early,'' Manuel said. "He's one of our guys. Hopefully he's just getting his arm in shape.''

Just wondering...and if he's not?????

Lip

Even though it would be a bad idea, I fear the Sox would use Glover again as a starter if Wright isn't working out.

voodoochile
03-05-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
"It's real early,'' Manuel said. "He's one of our guys. Hopefully he's just getting his arm in shape.''

Just wondering...and if he's not?????

Lip

[Rugrats voice]Then the Sox are doomed, chuckie, dooooooomed...[/rugrats voice]

Seriously though - isn't that why they signed Loaiza and Heredia - so they have veteran depth in case one of the "kids" faltered?

Hullett_Fan
03-05-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
"It's real early,'' Manuel said. "He's one of our guys. Hopefully he's just getting his arm in shape.''

Just wondering...and if he's not?????

Lip

I saw that as well Lip and wondered what the heck JM meant.

I know Danny had a strong finish to the season last year and won 14 games but his ERA was 5.18 and WHIP was 1.38, plus he gives up the gopher ball a lot...signs of someone who needs to work on the mental part of his game (the guy has a lot of physical tools...IMO he's similar to Colon).

If we have two guys among Stewart, Rauch, Loaiza, etc. pitch lights out in ST shouldn't they both be in the rotation?

pudge
03-05-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
[Rugrats voice]Then the Sox are doomed, chuckie, dooooooomed...[/rugrats voice]

Seriously though - isn't that why they signed Loaiza and Heredia - so they have veteran depth in case one of the "kids" faltered?

Exactly... that's what was so great about those signings. I think they're clearly leaning toward Loaiza as #5, which makes sense to me, but if Rauch looks good and Wright falls apart, we could swap those two. Depth is the key.

voodoochile
03-05-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
I saw that as well Lip and wondered what the heck JM meant.

I know Danny had a strong finish to the season last year and won 14 games but his ERA was 5.18 and WHIP was 1.38, plus he gives up the gopher ball a lot...signs of someone who needs to work on the mental part of his game (the guy has a lot of physical tools...IMO he's similar to Colon).

If we have two guys among Stewart, Rauch, Loaiza, etc. pitch lights out in ST shouldn't they both be in the rotation?

Personally I think Wright should have the job to lose come the start of the season. If he struggles in the first month or so then they can consider one of the other options, but he certainly showed promise the second half of last year. If he makes another step then he will win 16-18 games with an ERA around 4.00.

You don't bench a young guy who threw that many innings for you last year based on a couple of rough starts in ST.

Hullett_Fan
03-05-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Personally I think Wright should have the job to lose come the start of the season. If he struggles in the first month or so then they can consider one of the other options, but he certainly showed promise the second half of last year. If he makes another step then he will win 16-18 games with an ERA around 4.00.

You don't bench a young guy who threw that many innings for you last year based on a couple of rough starts in ST.

OK. I'm willing to give him 4-5 starts in April to see how it goes. I just don't see many playoff teams whose #4 starter has a 5.00+ ERA...so I'm rooting for him to take that next step and cut a run off that era. Was predicting he would before ST began but these first two starts have me worried. Hopefully Garland will cut .25 to .50 off his era as well.