PDA

View Full Version : Hal Vickery article

TommyJohn
03-02-2003, 01:33 AM
Great article, as usual, by Hal about Minnie Minoso. No offense
to Ron Santo, but it was very frustrating this past week to pick
up the papers or turn on the radio and hear nothing except
yap about Santo. It was almost as if Minoso didn't even exist.
Glad to read that Dan Jiggetts interviewed him about it. Phil
Rogers also chipped in his two cents that Minoso rated HOF
enshrinement. Thanks to Dan and Phil for flying in the face of
all the Santo hype and having the courage to attempt to tell
Chicago that other Chi. players besides Ronnie Baseball were
up for the Hall.

Funny thing, too. I remember reading "Just Call Me Minnie" a
few years ago. Minoso stated his case for why he believes that
he belongs in the Hall. It took up just a few pages, if I remem-
ber correctly. That is the only time I recall him making a push
for himself. Not that he hasn't since, but I don't recall him doing
so in the week of Ronnie hype.

It is a shame that Minoso didn't make it, considering his contri-
butions to the game as a player and as a baseball pioneer. I
don't believe he will ever make it, unfortunately; not with bozos
like Mike Schmidt and dumb grouches like Bob Feller standing
guard with flaming swords, denying admittance to all those
that they feel are "unworthy." I think the ballplayers are going
to be worse than the stogie-chomping cronies of the old Vets'
Committee.

gogosoxgogo
03-02-2003, 02:50 AM
I second the praise of your article on Lip. You do some great work for this site, and I appreciate it very much. Thank you. The Peters interview was also very good and pleasureable to read.

As for Santo, I expect it will be another month or so til the media finally settles down over him, all of the while Minoso will go unmentioned. The thing I really hate is his complaining. If I hear one more quote from that suicidal bum about how he should have gotten in because he was such a great person on and off the field, I will shoot somebody. It's unforunate for Minnie, he gets snubbed due to the media bias.

TornLabrum
03-02-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
I second the praise of your article on Lip. You do some great work for this site, and I appreciate it very much. Thank you. The Peters interview was also very good and pleasureable to read.

As for Santo, I expect it will be another month or so til the media finally settles down over him, all of the while Minoso will go unmentioned. The thing I really hate is his complaining. If I hear one more quote from that suicidal bum about how he should have gotten in because he was such a great person on and off the field, I will shoot somebody. It's unforunate for Minnie, he gets snubbed due to the media bias.

The thing I liked about the Minoso interview with Jiggets that I didn't mention in my article is that I didn't hear one word about why he belongs in the hall. Minnie talked mostly about how great baseball was to him, how he loved Chicago, how he enjoyed all the work he's done over the years in the community, etc.

I don't recall one word about why he thought he deserved to be in the Hall of Fame. The contrast with Santo's interviews over the past (what?) two or three years(?) is amazing.

I also should have credited Rogers with his article on Minnie, but I was thinking more in terms of radio and TV rather than print for some reason when I wrote the piece. Sorry, Phil!

ozzman
03-02-2003, 09:47 AM
Rob Neyer also wrote a pro Minnie article on espn.com

TornLabrum
03-02-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by ozzman
Rob Neyer also wrote a pro Minnie article on espn.com

My article discusses the lack of attention to Minnie by the Chicago media. ESPN.com was the one national media outlet that I saw that had anything to say about Minnie.

LuvSox
03-02-2003, 09:07 PM
Very nice commentary. Ron santo is a man with no integrity, Minnie Minoso is a gentlemen. The real baseball fans of Chicago know who deserves praise.

TommyJohn
03-02-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
The thing I liked about the Minoso interview with Jiggets that I didn't mention in my article is that I didn't hear one word about why he belongs in the hall. Minnie talked mostly about how great baseball was to him, how he loved Chicago, how he enjoyed all the work he's done over the years in the community, etc.

I don't recall one word about why he thought he deserved to be in the Hall of Fame. The contrast with Santo's interviews over the past (what?) two or three years(?) is amazing.

That is truly amazing. It reminds me of this last Tuesday, when
Murphy defended Santo by saying something to the effect of,
Santo wasn't promoting himself. "If someone asks him a ques-
tion about it, what is he supposed to say?"