PDA

View Full Version : Little League Teams--Ever Play for White Sox?

Procol Harum
03-01-2003, 06:17 PM
Ewokpelts, a new poster, suggests an interesting slow Saturday evening thread by dint of his tagline--confessing that he had played for the Twinkies and the Scrubs in his Little League days.

My question --how many of you ever played for a team dubbed the "White Sox" back in your glorious Little League Days and what kind of record did you chalk up?

I never had the honor--playing in sequence for the Reds, Mets, Yankees, and Mets. Ironically, the only year our team won the local champeenship we were--you guessed it--the Yankees.

My biggest Little League memory indirectly connected to personal or team achievements came in 1964 after our team, the Mets, had slaughtered one of our opponents. That same day the real Mets (remember how bad they were at the time) had beaten the Flubs at Wrigley something like 21-2. Out coach sent Casey Stengel a telegram informing him that our LL Mets had also enjoyed a good day. Stengel mentioned our team in an interview in the Trib the next day. We felt like we was famous :)

RKMeibalane
03-01-2003, 06:40 PM
I played for the White Sox as a child, in a tee-ball league. I don't remember what our record was like, but that was my first experience with the White Sox in any capacity. I seem to remember asking my father if there was anyone playing the for Chicago White Sox who was good, and he mentioned Carlton Fisk.

nut_stock
03-01-2003, 06:40 PM
When I was in little league we didn't use MLB team names, out team names were of the local business' who sponsored them.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-01-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
....My biggest Little League memory indirectly connected to personal or team achievements came in 1964 after our team, the Mets, had slaughtered one of our opponents. That same day the real Mets (remember how bad they were at the time) had beaten the Flubs at Wrigley something like 21-2. Out coach sent Casey Stengel a telegram informing him that our LL Mets had also enjoyed a good day. Stengel mentioned our team in an interview in the Trib the next day. We felt like we was famous

Great story. I wish I had one as good. My LL teams never got mentioned in the big leagues, probably because one was named Bluebirds and the other Pelicans. I practically want to wear a bag on my head for that first one. :smile:

All the teams were named for common backyard birds--except the Falcons who just happened to be coached by the league organizer. His kid was on that team along with every other ringer in the league. Need I mention they won the championship after an undefeated season? :D:

It could have been worse. The other league in town had teams named for dinosaurs, like Pterodactyls. Try fitting that across the chest of a 10 year-old. All of them have been scarred for life.

:gulp:

MarkEdward
03-01-2003, 07:09 PM
I played one season for a team named the "White Sox" and, honestly, I think it was the worst season of baseball I ever participated in. Our team wasn't that bad; we had some great pitchers. Our defense and hitting, however, was nonexistent. Aside from that, the intangibles weren't there. The coaches were distant. They didn't instruct very well; it seemed like they were forced to coach us. The players didn't have good chemistry. That's really what made the season intolerable. I didn't make any friends on that team (which is one of the points of Little League ball), and I almost loathed going to practice.

Aside from that, my Little League experience was great. A World Series title for the A's in Mustang, and an All Star team appearance in Mustang, and another World Series appearance in Pony for the Yankees. I wasn't a very good hitter: my most dangerous characteristics were my ability to take a walk and get hit by pitches. I could play all three outfield positions, and could play a decent second base for a lefty.

WinningUgly!
03-01-2003, 07:31 PM
Never got to play for the White Sox, because the league only consisted of NL team names...Giants, Padres, Cubs, Cards, Dodgers, Reds, Mets & the team I played for....Pirates. At least I got to wear black. :D: We even got to wear the old black "flat-top" Pirate hats with yellow stripes...very cool.

LuvSox
03-01-2003, 07:45 PM
:whiner: When I was ten, eleven & twelve years old I played for the Cubs. :whiner: I think I need to talk to Dr. Phil. :whiner:

Hangar18
03-01-2003, 07:56 PM
Ive got a great story. It involves my nephew. when he was in minor leagues (7.8.9 yr olds) he ended up becoming a good player and played for the "Reds". IN the Kelly Pk league on the south side, after your 9, they have a "Draft" with the worst team of Little League (10/11/12 yr olds) picking the 9yr old players from the minor leagues. My nephew ended up as a high pick, and got taken by none other than the "Cubs". The coach smiled at him and said he liked the way he played. But, being the reponsible Uncle, and helping to instill the Right THing in him, He refused to Play for Them. He wouldve had to wear that stupid blue hat w the Red "C" on it, and the blue CUBS uniform top. I didnt want him to play for them either......but on his own, he held out. The Cub Coaches begged him and said it would be ok, he'll have fun, com'on come play for us, its Just a Uniform etc etc. After my nephew "held out" like a 9 yr old Bobby Hill, The Cubs realized they werent going to get my nephew to play for them, so a few weeks later, right before the season was to Start, they arranged a "TRADE" with the Yankees Little League Team, and they simply switched players. So my Nephew Stood up and ended up being a Yankee. was the first time in kelly park history that a team made a "Trade". IM a Proud Uncle.

ozzman
03-01-2003, 07:58 PM
I was a big time sox fan from early on and my first baseball team when i was 6 was the white sox. i wore #3. we had a team picnic and one of the dads was talking to me and asked me if i knew who the best ever to wear #3 was. i said, yes, of course i know who the best #3 is. the guy goes back to me, so you picked #3 cuz of babe ruth? and i reply, no i picked #3 cuz of harold baines!!

CiscoCarlos
03-01-2003, 08:18 PM
I manage my kid's little league team so I'm able to call them the White Sox. What power! Too bad I don't have Manuel's patience. These little brats could use it.

WinningUgly!
03-01-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Ive got a great story. It involves my nephew. when he was in minor leagues (7.8.9 yr olds) he ended up becoming a good player and played for the "Reds". IN the Kelly Pk league on the south side, after your 9, they have a "Draft" with the worst team of Little League (10/11/12 yr olds) picking the 9yr old players from the minor leagues. My nephew ended up as a high pick, and got taken by none other than the "Cubs". The coach smiled at him and said he liked the way he played. But, being the reponsible Uncle, and helping to instill the Right THing in him, He refused to Play for Them. He wouldve had to wear that stupid blue hat w the Red "C" on it, and the blue CUBS uniform top. I didnt want him to play for them either......but on his own, he held out. The Cub Coaches begged him and said it would be ok, he'll have fun, com'on come play for us, its Just a Uniform etc etc. After my nephew "held out" like a 9 yr old Bobby Hill, The Cubs realized they werent going to get my nephew to play for them, so a few weeks later, right before the season was to Start, they arranged a "TRADE" with the Yankees Little League Team, and they simply switched players. So my Nephew Stood up and ended up being a Yankee. was the first time in kelly park history that a team made a "Trade". IM a Proud Uncle.

Great Story...sounds like a good kid!

Chisox_cali
03-01-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by ozzman
I was a big time sox fan from early on and my first baseball team when i was 6 was the white sox. i wore #3. we had a team picnic and one of the dads was talking to me and asked me if i knew who the best ever to wear #3 was. i said, yes, of course i know who the best #3 is. the guy goes back to me, so you picked #3 cuz of babe ruth? and i reply, no i picked #3 cuz of harold baines!!

ozzman, are you the one that's the MH fan?

Anyway, when I played LL I had to play on the Cubs :angry: I think I was on them for 2 years, and we did suck, the last year I played I think I was a Cardinal. One of my best friends back then was on the Sox and I was pissed that he got to be on them! My crowning achievement was a diving catch in Left Field, I think we actually won that game, if I remember correctly. Another time I was pitching, and a liner came right back at me, all I remember was a lot of pain, but I somehow threw the guy out at first. All the teams we're sponsored by the local buisnesses, everyone wanted to be sponsered by the richton park 7-11, cause I think they would give you free slurpees if you won, or possible even if you didn't. I think when I was on the cubs we had like an insurance company or something dumb, and the Cardinals was McDonalds. We didn't get any free happy meals though :whiner:

TheBigHurt
03-01-2003, 09:23 PM
When i was in Little league 7 yrs ago i was the Mets and Orioles

TheBigHurt
03-01-2003, 09:25 PM
actully both of the times they didnt have the White Sox in the league

ewokpelts
03-01-2003, 10:29 PM
Hey all,

The sad tale of me becoming a twinkie involves a trade at Kelly Park. I was a Blue Jay (back when they still had those crappy - soon to be retro - uniforms), and on opening day 1989, I was traded to the twinkies...why? I still do not know to this day. That also wa smy last year at Kelly Park. I later went to Gage Park (actually closer to my house than Kelly Park,but go figure) and became a ...Scrubbie...my brothers, on the other hand, were Astros and Marlins
Gene

pearso66
03-01-2003, 11:08 PM
when I played little league, we had names of the places that sponsored us, now the place i played for, Fox Lake Township i believe, has actual team names, I noticed it as I drove past one day. But when i played, I was the Fox Lake Lions Club, K.K. Hampshire Funeral Home, and Dairy Queen. Dairy Queen was the best because every 2 wins we got free blizzards, but when i was on Fox Lake Lions Club we took first place.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-01-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
...Dairy Queen was the best because every 2 wins we got free blizzards, but when i was on Fox Lake Lions Club we took first place.

:jerry :hitless
"God, how we miss those days. It was just last summer!!!"

:)

fuzzy_patters
03-01-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
I played one season for a team named the "White Sox" and, honestly, I think it was the worst season of baseball I ever participated in. Our team wasn't that bad; we had some great pitchers. Our defense and hitting, however, was nonexistent. Aside from that, the intangibles weren't there. The coaches were distant. They didn't instruct very well; it seemed like they were forced to coach us. The players didn't have good chemistry. That's really what made the season intolerable. I didn't make any friends on that team (which is one of the points of Little League ball), and I almost loathed going to practice.

I don't think that was little league. I'm pretty sure you played for the 2002 White Sox.

Lip Man 1
03-02-2003, 02:37 AM
I never played for a "White Sox" team (Pirates and Indians before high school) but I've seen a few years when the "real" White Sox were bad enough to play in a Little League!

Lip

hose
03-02-2003, 08:50 AM
Peanut League- Lions
Little League Minors- Astros
Little League Majors -Astros
Pony League- Mets

One of the coaches for my Little League teams lost 1/2 of his index finger to a tool and dye on the job injury.

He had a untouchable curve ball that he would show once in a while to put us in our place.

Carvel soft serve ice cream :smile:

Procol Harum
03-02-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by pearso66
But when i played, I was the Fox Lake Lions Club, K.K. Hampshire Funeral Home, and Dairy Queen. Dairy Queen was the best because every 2 wins we got free blizzards, but when i was on Fox Lake Lions Club we took first place.

A Blizzard--good deal! That is one of the big changes since back in the day. When I played LL in the '60s--next door in Round Lake, as a matter of fact, Pears--we got nuthin' unless we won. Ah, a trip to the long-defunct A&W Root Beer stand was the epitome of fine livin'. Nowadays, here in picturesque West Central DuPage, parents have to take turns bringing a drink and a snack to each game, win or lose. Stinkin' spoiled kids!!

whitesoxwilkes
03-02-2003, 09:04 AM
Angels in TBall, Dodgers in Little League. Our 12-and-up teams were sponsored by local compnaies...I played for Bath Expressions. Yuck.

Procol Harum
03-02-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
My LL teams never got mentioned in the big leagues, probably because one was named Bluebirds and the other Pelicans. I practically want to wear a bag on my head for that first one. :smile:

All the teams were named for common backyard birds--except the Falcons who just happened to be coached by the league organizer. His kid was on that team along with every other ringer in the league. Need I mention they won the championship after an undefeated season? :D:

It could have been worse. The other league in town had teams named for dinosaurs, like Pterodactyls. Try fitting that across the chest of a 10 year-old. All of them have been scarred for life.

:gulp:

Great oogildy moogildy, PHG! "Let's go Pterodactyls!!" Bluebirds!? What community did this to you? Have you set the class action suit in motion?

MarqSox
03-02-2003, 09:42 AM
Sad to say, I played 10 seasons of park district ball in Villa Park and Lombard -- 9 of them on the Cubs and 1 on the Yankees. How's that for depressing.

Actually, my Cubs experience was up and down. When I was 12, we made the championship game ... and got 1-hit by the perennial powerhouse White Sox. Go figure. The local paper had a write-up of the game with a great headline: "Sox clobber Cubs for championship."

Ahh, if only it were on a larger scale ... :smile:

Hangar18
03-02-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
Hey all,

The sad tale of me becoming a twinkie involves a trade at Kelly Park. I was a Blue Jay (back when they still had those crappy - soon to be retro - uniforms), and on opening day 1989, I was traded to the twinkies...why? I still do not know to this day. That also wa smy last year at Kelly Park. I later went to Gage Park (actually closer to my house than Kelly Park,but go figure) and became a ...Scrubbie...my brothers, on the other hand, were Astros and Marlins
Gene

Kelly Park, man small world. So it looks like YOU were the first trade ever at Kelly Park huh? When my nephew got traded, everyone in the league thought that it was the first time theyd seen that.

LuvSox
03-02-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Angels in TBall, Dodgers in Little League. Our 12-and-up teams were sponsored by local compnaies...I played for Bath Expressions. Yuck. That must've been embarassing!

ozzman
03-02-2003, 10:21 AM
Yes, I am the MH fan. good to see another metal fan on the board supporting out pale hose.

I was just charged for my sox7 so I'll be at the home opener and all 3 cubs games. we'll definitely be tailgating and would welcome any wsi members for a beer and a brat

MetalliSox
03-02-2003, 12:42 PM
Was on the White Sox my last eligible year of Little League and our colors where black and yellow. To make it right, the whole team went out and bought cheap Sox hats and used a yellow highlighter to color the Sox logo Yellow.

Back in the day....sigh

KonerkoPower14
03-02-2003, 08:09 PM
i play for archer park little league.We lost in the world series to midway.BOO!

A.T. Money
03-03-2003, 12:11 AM
I played for the White Sox twice. Once featuring the White Sox script uniforms of the late 80s, and the current black jersey.

Other teams I played for:

Cardinals
Orioles
Indians
A's
Dodgers

doublem23
03-03-2003, 02:35 AM
Only one year did I get to play for the White Sox from my Little League... I think I still have the jersey, which hasn't fit me since probably 4th grade. :smile:

I also remember playing for the Reds, Royals, Angels, Astros (old school "H" in front of the orange star jersey :smile: ), Cubs (twice :whiner: ), the Orioles and Reds once again....

SI1020
03-03-2003, 07:33 AM
I played at Horner Park many moons ago. We had the name of our business sponsor on our jersey. You also got a major league name so our team was the Brite Realty Yankees. We didn't resemble the Yankees of that era, we came in last place two years in a row. The league sponsored a yearly outing to a Sox game at Comiskey Park, even though our park was at Montrose and California. My first year I won a Nellie Fox bottle bat. Woo Woo!

Chisox353014
03-03-2003, 12:10 PM
I played for the White Sox in T-ball in Franklin Park. Our coach was one of those live-vicariously-through-your-kids type coaches who took things waaaayyy too seriously, so I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have. I distinctly remember him nearly getting into a fistfight with the coach of the Cubs, also a major a-hole. We moved to Addison when I was in 3rd grade and I only played baseball for 2 or 3 years. I remember being on the Giants then, although you couldn't tell because the Addison Park District gave everyone the exact same green t-shirt as a uniform. Talk about lame. I gave up baseball in 6th grade and played basketball instead. Unfortunately I had to play for the Celtics, Lakers and Pistons. The Bulls were still so bad that they didn't even have them as an option.

SoxRulecubsdrool
03-03-2003, 04:37 PM
I played in the Midway Airport Baseball League or something like that.
We weren't very politically correct. All the teams were named after Indian tribes: Mohigans, Mohawks, Seneca, Seminoles, etc.
Boy, I sure do miss all that glass on the field and big holes in the fence and the sound of jet planes going by about 35 feet over your head. Those were the days.

SouthSideHitman
03-03-2003, 07:26 PM
Over the years I've played for the Braves, Pirates, Reds (twice), Orioles, Brewers and A's. I also once had to bear the shame of being a cub. Fortunatly, most of out team took our cues from the "major league" cubs and we sucked. I was also a Sox, way back in first grade. It was great, our league was in Hyde Park and there was no cubs at any level. The uniform had the pinstripes with the Gothic S-O-X. I literally wore the shirt out.

balz1472
03-04-2003, 07:46 AM
Like most kids at a young age, I played for a new team every 2 yrs as I moved up through the age groups. It was not til I was 12 years old that I wound up getting my first LL hit! Crazy really, considering that I would make the All-Star team every year there after and even went on to beat a guy named Mark Mulder in my first pitching appearance as a junior in HS. Then on to play in the College WS two times! Amazing how things change! :cool:

Anyway, as for the teams I played for... I began with the SCRUBS as a 5 yr old, of course I didn't know any better at the time... and believe it or not the team won the championship my first year, but then got killed the second. I then went on to play for the White Sox and we flat out dominated, which leads me to why I am a diehard to this day... the years would follow with me being on the Phills, Athletics and Orioles ... but by far the SOX team was the most memorable one in LL, at least while I lived in OP.

Nixey 02
03-04-2003, 01:01 PM
Like some, our little league didn't have team names, only sponsors: Kemmerly Realty, Hoskins Chevrolet, Busch Auto...(no sponsor-related discounts for winning)

In '89, I got to coach the White Sox in a coach-pitch league. 5 and 6 year-olds. Great kids, new to the game, willing to learn...except for the one kid who showed up at picture day wearing his soccer jersey! As a coach, you can only do so much (i.e., line 'em up - it's up to the parents to dress 'em).

Foulke You
03-04-2003, 01:36 PM
I played at Seminole Park in the shadow of I-90 in the Devon-Higgins Little League. We had a huge "grey monster" wall (the I-90 support wall by the toll plaza) that was the backdrop of the field. I played for the Royals 3 years (2 first place finishes), the Braves (2nd Place), and the Cardinals (1st Place).

My little league career highlights:

1. Cardinals- Runner on 3rd base, 2 outs, full count, and I hit the game winning and 1st place clinching RBI line drive "walk-off" single in the bottom of the 6th inning my final year in organized baseball. My team carried me off the field. I was 12 years old and on top of the world that day. Our pitcher who threw a 3 hit complete game and myself got the game balls and a water cooler of ice water dunked on our heads. It is a game I'll never forget.

SoxOnTop
03-04-2003, 06:24 PM
Played on the Sox for two separate 2 year stints (Mustang and Colt). In a strange twist of fate each one resulted in a championship in the second year!!!!! We even had a brawl with the Cubs in Colt.

Others teams include:
Armadillo's
Dolphins
Expansion Canaries
Dodgers

After the expansion Canaries, I think we deserved a White Sox Championship...

Daver
03-04-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Played on the Sox for two separate 2 year stints (Mustang and Colt). In a strange twist of fate each one resulted in a championship in the second year!!!!! We even had a brawl with the Cubs in Colt.

Others teams include:
Armadillo's
Dolphins
Expansion Canaries
Dodgers

After the expansion Canaries, I think we deserved a White Sox Championship...

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Craptastic
03-05-2003, 12:02 AM
I played for the White Sox one year. The only game we won was against the Cubs.

ewokpelts
03-06-2003, 02:35 PM
Hanger 18,

I'm thinking that the trade I was invovled in was more of an accomodation of one of the coach's schedules, or that I wasnt so hot of a player, and the twinkies needed a spot filled. Come to thik of it, I ma have only been TOLD I was traded, so as not to piss me off.

Nonetheless, your story's better than mine.
Gene Kelly (yeah I know...not only am I "named" after a dancer, but I played @ Kelly park too) :gulp:

moochpuppy
03-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum

My question --how many of you ever played for a team dubbed the "White Sox" back in your glorious Little League Days and what kind of record did you chalk up?

I played for the Royals in a league with the White Sox, Yankees and Tigers. I played in another league for the Pirates with the Cubs, Expos and Astros. Our best finish was 2nd place behind the (gulp) Cubs. My best memory was a game against the Astros where I went 4-4 with a grand slam, a three run dinger and a 2 run double in a win 21-5. I had my name in headlines in the local paper. It was great and I still have the paper.

Moses_Scurry
03-06-2003, 03:46 PM
For Baseball I played for the following teams in this order:
T-Ball: Yankees (Only won 2 games)
T-Ball: Yankees (1st place tie)
T-Ball: Braves (.500 team)
Pee Wee Reese League: Aces (.500 team)
Pee Wee Reese League: Athletics (sub .500 team)
Babe Ruth League: Mets (another .500 team).

My greatest achievement was a bottom of the 7th game winning walkoff double to drive in 2 in the final game of my final year of organized baseball.

For basketball I played for the Blazers, the 76'ers (twice), and the Bulls.

For my one year of peewee flag football, I played for the Steelers.

whitesox9
03-09-2003, 11:43 AM
I played for the White Sox in T-ball in Midlothian (S/W. Suburb) back in the mid-seventies. Our version of the 1976 White Sox only won two games all season. However, since one of the teams we beat was the Midlothian T-Ball version of the Cubs our coach told us at the end of the season that it was a "pretty good season because at least we beat the Cubs." Some things never change.

voodoochile
03-09-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by whitesox9
I played for the White Sox in T-ball in Midlothian (S/W. Suburb) back in the mid-seventies. Our version of the 1976 White Sox only won two games all season. However, since one of the teams we beat was the Midlothian T-Ball version of the Cubs our coach told us at the end of the season that it was a "pretty good season because at least we beat the Cubs." Some things never change.

LMAO!

Welcome aboard!

:)

quadcitiesfan
03-10-2003, 08:22 PM
When I was 9 you could play in the majors if you were good enough, otherwise you played in the minors. I remember getting the phone call that I had been picked for the majors. When they told me on would be on the Cubs....I cried. I wanted to be on the Sox soooooo bad. Little league was great, though. I was always good glove, no hit.

voodoochile
03-10-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by quadcitiesfan
When I was 9 you could play in the majors if you were good enough, otherwise you played in the minors. I remember getting the phone call that I had been picked for the majors. When they told me on would be on the Cubs....I cried. I wanted to be on the Sox soooooo bad. Little league was great, though. I was always good glove, no hit.

Hey, welcome aboard!

:D: