PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Free Agents

gogosoxgogo
03-01-2003, 04:29 PM
Seeing as how listening to Arizona announcers tallk about the Sox again getting their asses pounded by a bunch of rookies just isn't filling by baseball needs, I thought I'd throw this out there. I did a little research of current contracts of ball players which will expire after the 2003 year. Assuming we win the division this year and lose in the playoffs (like I believe we will), will Jerry and Kenny really go after that final piece of the puzzle to secure us a championship? There's some real big difference makers that will be available, so I'd like to know who you think we should go after to secure us it won't be 87 years of losing.

By the way, I'm quite aware that this entire thread should be in the deep pink which symbolizes pipe dreams, but I thought I'd save you all the strain on your eyes.

Players which will be free agents at the end of this year according to their current contracts:

Kevin Milwood, Phi., RHP, 29*
Sidney Ponson, Bal., RHP, 27*
Bartolo Colon, CHW., RHP, 29*
Livan Hernandez, S.F., RHP, 29*
Kirk Rueter, S.F., LHP, 33*
Andy Pettitte, NYY, LHP, 32*
Pedro Astacio, NYM, RHP, 34*
Randy Johnson, Ari., LHP, 41*
Danny Graves, Cin., RHP, 31*
Keith Foulke, Oak, RHP, 31*
Kelvim Escobar, Tor., RHP, 28*
Scott Sullivan, Cin., RHP, 33*
Armando Benitez, NYM, RHP, 31*
Eddie Guardado, Min., LHP, 34*
Mike Williams, Pit., RHP, 34*
Javy Lopez, Atl., C, 33*
Luis Castillo, Fla., 2B, 29*
Fernando Vina, St. L., 2B, 35*
Craig Biggio, Hou., 2B, 38*
Miguel Tejada, Oak., SS, 28*
Rich Aurilia, S.F., SS, 33*
Roberto Alomar, NYM, 2B, 38*
Jose Cruz, S.F., OF, 30*
Vladimir Guerrero, Mon., OF, 28*
Shannon Stewart, Tor., OF, 30*
Mike Cameron, Sea., OF, 31*
* Opening Day age in 2004

guillen4life13
03-01-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Seeing as how listening to Arizona announcers tallk about the Sox again getting their asses pounded by a bunch of rookies just isn't filling by baseball needs, I thought I'd throw this out there. I did a little research of current contracts of ball players which will expire after the 2003 year. Assuming we win the division this year and lose in the playoffs (like I believe we will), will Jerry and Kenny really go after that final piece of the puzzle to secure us a championship? There's some real big difference makers that will be available, so I'd like to know who you think we should go after to secure us it won't be 87 years of losing.

By the way, I'm quite aware that this entire thread should be in the deep pink which symbolizes pipe dreams, but I thought I'd save you all the strain on your eyes.

Players which will be free agents at the end of this year according to their current contracts:

Kevin Milwood, Atl., RHP, 29*
Sidney Ponson, Bal., RHP, 27*
Bartolo Colon, Mon., RHP, 29*
Livan Hernandez, S.F., RHP, 29*
Kirk Rueter, S.F., LHP, 33*
Andy Pettitte, NYY, LHP, 32*
Pedro Astacio, NYM, RHP, 34*
Randy Johnson, Ari., LHP, 41*
Danny Graves, Cin., RHP, 31*
Keith Foulke, CWS, RHP, 31*
Kelvim Escobar, Tor., RHP, 28*
Scott Sullivan, Cin., RHP, 33*
Armando Benitez, NYM, RHP, 31*
Eddie Guardado, Min., LHP, 34*
Mike Williams, Pit., RHP, 34*
Javy Lopez, Atl., C, 33*
Luis Castillo, Fla., 2B, 29*
Fernando Vina, St. L., 2B, 35*
Craig Biggio, Hou., 2B, 38*
Miguel Tejada, Oak., SS, 28*
Rich Aurilia, S.F., SS, 33*
Roberto Alomar, NYM, 2B, 38*
Jose Cruz, Tor., OF, 30*
Vladimir Guerrero, Mon., OF, 28*
Shannon Stewart, Tor., OF, 30*
Mike Cameron, Sea., OF, 31*
* Opening Day age in 2004

Just a couple mistakes... Jose Cruz now is in S.F., and the Foulkemeister is not with the Sox anymore.

If they could get a guy like Luis Castillo who is a real leadoff hitter, and then maybe get Millwood or Pettite, they would be good to go, I think.

gogosoxgogo
03-01-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
Just a couple mistakes... Jose Cruz now is in S.F., and the Foulkemeister is not with the Sox anymore.

If they could get a guy like Luis Castillo who is a real leadoff hitter, and then maybe get Millwood or Pettite, they would be good to go, I think.

Sorry, I didn't notice that. I got this information from elsewhere and didn't really check it over. I'll change that.

I'll take Milwood over Pettite. My ideal choice would be Vlad, but that will never happen. My opinion on Castillo is riding on the kind of year that Jimenez will have in that leadoff role.

Jjav829
03-01-2003, 04:42 PM
Nice research there Mr. Gammons. :smile:

The potential free agents after 2004 are even more amazing although Im sure some of them will be signed before then.

Castillo would look great in a White Sox uniform.

gogosoxgogo
03-01-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Nice research there Mr. Gammons. :smile:

The potential free agents after 2004 are even more amazing although Im sure some of them will be signed before then.

Castillo would look great in a White Sox uniform.

Hey, it took research to find that damn article! It took me forever to locate it. I couldn't remember who wrote it or how long ago they did, so I had to search via google. I call that research :D:

jeremyb1
03-01-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13

castillo would look mighty good at the top of our lineup with jimenez moving to ss and the number two hole in '04.

i think the best case scenario is that we make it out of at least the first round of the playoffs this season ideally to the series. i think that's what it'll take to resign colon or sign millwood or another top flight starter. a world series trip might also get us another mid level free agent such as castillo but i can't see us doing much better than that.

TheBigHurt
03-01-2003, 09:43 PM
like ive been heariing on wfan (ny sports radio station) if george and the yankees want vlad they will find a way to get him.

mets fans think if the yankees dont sign him the mets will.
met fans seem to think they are the only ones competting with the yankees for vlad.

jeremyb1
03-01-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
like ive been heariing on wfan (ny sports radio station) if george and the yankees want vlad they will find a way to get him.

met fans seem to think they are the only ones competting with the yankees for vlad.

if the expos get new ownership in the next year i think vlad will resign. if the 'spos are moving into a new market they badly need to keep their one superstar. if the expos remain in montreal with mlb as ownership it will be impossible to resign vlad and i think the odds are incredibly good he will be a yankee.

gogosoxgogo
03-02-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
if the expos get new ownership in the next year i think vlad will resign. if the 'spos are moving into a new market they badly need to keep their one superstar. if the expos remain in montreal with mlb as ownership it will be impossible to resign vlad and i think the odds are incredibly good he will be a yankee.

He will clearly be a Yankee. They are going to want someone to replace Mondesi. Colon will also be a Yankee and Petitte will be returning.

Lip Man 1
03-02-2003, 02:29 AM
The only way the current Sox organization would even consider raising the payroll to a level that could actually allow these guys to be signed, is for them to draw a MINIMUM of 2.1 million fans this season.

How realistic is that?

A lot of that is going to depend on how the team plays and if they are actually in a race come August 1st.

Lip

gogosoxgogo
03-02-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The only way the current Sox organization would even consider raising the payroll to a level that could actually allow these guys to be signed, is for them to draw a MINIMUM of 2.1 million fans this season.

How realistic is that?

A lot of that is going to depend on how the team plays and if they are actually in a race come August 1st.

Lip

I don't know, if we go into the playoffs this year, I think we may see some work done next offseason. I'm not sure of Jerry's motives this offseason. It actually seems like he may be trying to win. The first job would be to re-sign Bartolo. We don't want to go back to one starting pitcher again.

Paulwny
03-02-2003, 10:59 AM

I assume you listen to "Mike and the Mad Dog".

TheBigHurt
03-02-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I assume you listen to "Mike and the Mad Dog".

yes

why you do too?

Paulwny
03-02-2003, 03:38 PM
yes

why you do too?

Yea, I don't obtain WFAN in the Buffalo area but M+M Dog radio show is on the YES Network which my cable company carries.

kevingrt
03-02-2003, 05:59 PM
Why don't we worry about this season, until we get to far ahead of ourselves!

TheBigHurt
03-02-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Yea, I don't obtain WFAN in the Buffalo area but M+M Dog radio show is on the YES Network which my cable company carries.

ohh the cable company Cablevision as im sure you know doesnt have YES in Long Island