PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Sox vs. D-Backs Game Thread 3-1-03

TimChamp
03-01-2003, 03:32 PM
Anybody else listening to today's game?

Champ out watching TV and listening to the game at the same time...

OEO Magglio
03-01-2003, 03:34 PM
Loaiza with 2 strong innings, only one hit allowed.

TimChamp
03-01-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Loaiza with 2 strong innings, only one hit allowed.

Yeah, he's definitely STARTING OFF better than Wright, but then again, it doesn't really matter does it...

Champ out doing nothing interesting...

TimChamp
03-01-2003, 03:42 PM
"Don't you mean Peter Piper Pizza? Peter Piper Pizza, the new sponsor of the Arizona Diamondbacks!" ***? These stupid commentators are funny, I would take Farmer ALONE anyday, over these two bums! :D:

Champ out to knock out the idiot that said that...

TimChamp
03-01-2003, 03:44 PM
Sanders is playing today for Rios...error by Womack on Sander's hit, Konerko scores from 3rd...

White Sox 1-0

Champ out hiding the dead body of the punk commentator...

TimChamp
03-01-2003, 03:51 PM
Loaiza starting to get hit a little...Womack with an RBI single...

1-1 tie

Champ realizes he's alone here and decides to stop saying "Champ out" unless something interesting is happening...

OEO Magglio
03-01-2003, 03:54 PM
I guess Loaiza shouldn't have pitched the 3rd, its now 3 to 1 d'backs.

TimChamp
03-01-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
I guess Loaiza shouldn't have pitched the 3rd, its now 3 to 1 d'backs.

Almonte in there now, all I've heard are good things about him, but never actually payed attention to him much. I'll be paying close attention to how well he performs...

Champ out...

gogosoxgogo
03-01-2003, 04:01 PM
Someone give me a quick recap of who's playing and how they've done. I was out at a drum lesson. Anyone besides Loaiza pitch? I think I heard Almonte was in, what did he do?

TimChamp
03-01-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Someone give me a quick recap of who's playing and how they've done. I was out at a drum lesson. Anyone besides Loaiza pitch? I think I heard Almonte was in, what did he do?

Almonte has only pitched 1/3 of an inning so far and he got out of the jam that Loaiza was in...

The D-Backs quickly slapped Loaiza around and got three runs from him, he lasted 2 2/3 innings, give up a few hits and 3 ER. He was playing one-hit shut out ball for two innings, but the 3rd inning was a different story...

Konerko had a double and scored on an error by Womack, Lee is playing, I think Borchard is playing too, not sure who else is...the D-Back commentators are too full of themselves to talk about anybody else but the D-Back players... :angry:

Champ out to take over the commentating booth in Arizona...

TimChamp
03-01-2003, 04:09 PM
Gil Heredia's in now; really interested to see how this guy performs this ST...

Champ out still trying to take over commentator booth...

gosox3072
03-01-2003, 04:10 PM
Hey why is there no chat today???

gogosoxgogo
03-01-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by TimChamp
Gil Heredia's in now; really interested to see how this guy performs this ST...

Champ out still trying to take over commentator booth...

Well, he just walked his first batter ;p

gogosoxgogo
03-01-2003, 04:12 PM
Almonte has only pitched 1/3 of an inning so far and he got out of the jam that Loaiza was in...

The D-Backs quickly slapped Loaiza around and got three runs from him, he lasted 2 2/3 innings, give up a few hits and 3 ER. He was playing one-hit shut out ball for two innings, but the 3rd inning was a different story...

Konerko had a double and scored on an error by Womack, Lee is playing, I think Maggs is playing too, not sure who else is...the D-Back commentators are too full of themselves to talk about anybody else but the D-Back players... :angry:

Champ out to take over the commentating booth in Arizona...

Thanks for that Champ. I think I heard Borchard, Paul, and Thomas mentioned as well.

TimChamp
03-01-2003, 04:13 PM
I think I heard Borchard, Paul, and Thomas mentioned as well.

Yeah, a mistake by me that Maggs was in there...Thomas is in the game??? I thought there were no DH's here...

Champ out...

gogosoxgogo
03-01-2003, 04:17 PM
Yeah, a mistake by me that Maggs was in there...Thomas is in the game??? I thought there were no DH's here...

Champ out...

my bad, I thought I heard his name, maybe not. I just heard Crede as well was in the game.

boy, Heredia is looking good, and Jimenez just screwed up flipping the ball to Nunez. Looking like last spring.

TimChamp
03-01-2003, 04:25 PM
"Don't wanna steal a line from [someone here], but Carlos Baerga is on fuego"

Man, I swear this play-by-play guy talks and acts like Chimp!!! :angry:

Champ out still trying to put the Chimp back in his cage...

gogosoxgogo
03-01-2003, 04:27 PM
"Don't wanna steal a line from [someone here], but Carlos Baerga is on fuego"

Man, I swear this play-by-play guy talks and acts like Chimp!!! :angry:

Champ out still trying to put the Chimp back in his cage...

I agree with ya, why'd we have to get stuck listening to these guys?

Good to see our defense hasn't proved at all since last year. Nunez and Jimenez up the middle are looking, err sounding, terrible.

TimChamp
03-01-2003, 04:28 PM
my bad, I thought I heard his name, maybe not. I just heard Crede as well was in the game.

boy, Heredia is looking good, and Jimenez just screwed up flipping the ball to Nunez. Looking like last spring.

Yeah, I want to hear what Manuel has to say about that after the game...

:jerry

"Obviously they scored a lot of runs," Manuel said. "But that one play reminded me of the past. We juggled the ball a little bit there, but they just got a lot of different type of hits and that happens in Arizona. But overall, I think we did a good job of hanging in there and we played pretty well. We looked pretty good out there, I'm excited about the season. I think if we keep up this type of fundamental type of playing, we'll probably have a pretty good year." - Manuel's post game response after the Sox eventually lost the game to the D-Backs 54 - 1.

Champ out...

TimChamp
03-01-2003, 04:31 PM
LTP with some Light Tower Power there on that solo jack!!!

6-2 D-Backs

Champ out...

gogosoxgogo
home run Borchard! Announcers are very impressed with him. They said it traveled pretty far.

6-2 D-Backs

DrCrawdad
"Monster blast" by LTP.

gogosoxgogo
03-01-2003, 04:33 PM
Oh my God, why the hell are these announcers talking about Sammy Sosa? HE'S NOT IN THIS GAME. CONCENTRATE, NO MATTER HOW HARD IT MAY BE TO NOT TALK ABOUT SAINT SAMMY!!!

TimChamp
03-01-2003, 04:35 PM
Oh my God, why the hell are these announcers talking about Sammy Sosa? HE'S NOT IN THIS GAME. CONCENTRATE, NO MATTER HOW HARD IT MAY BE TO NOT TALK ABOUT SAINT SAMMY!!!

What do you expect from a Chimp commentating on the game? :?:

:chimp

Champ out...

LuvSox
03-01-2003, 04:36 PM
These announcers are bad, you guys are right. They sound like Cubbie guys. Doesn't Steve Lyons do their tv now? Even worse.

gogosoxgogo
03-01-2003, 04:37 PM
uhh, Steve Lyons is THE worst announcer out there.

LuvSox
03-01-2003, 04:39 PM
uhh, Steve Lyons is THE worst announcer out there. Joe Morgan---bad. Anyone associated with the Cubs----bad. Rick Sutcliffe----stupid and bad.

TimChamp
03-01-2003, 04:40 PM
uhh, Steve Lyons is THE worst announcer out there.

I don't know, I haven't heard a lot of Steve Lyons games, but I have heard some and I don't think he's too bad...I'm sure that Chimp has got to have him beat somehow...

Chimp out...I mean Champ out...

TimChamp
03-01-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Joe Morgan---bad. Anyone associated with the Cubs----bad. Rick Sutcliffe----stupid and bad.

LOL!!! True dat, true dat! I can't believe I remember Hawk saying to DJ that one of his favorite new commentators was Rick Sutcliffe! Tells you the low standards that Hawk has...echh...

Champ out...

LuvSox
03-01-2003, 04:43 PM
A sure sign the announcer stinks? He says "Peek a boo" Jeezus, this real player is making everything slooooooow.

TimChamp
03-01-2003, 04:43 PM
"The sun's been kinda playing peek-a-boo here and more booing than peeking (chuckle)."

This commentating is killing me and now they're talking about beans and ice cold beverages down the right field line...

Even the commercials are ridiculously hillarious: "Million Dollar Vocabulary" and commercials about sex drive and its guaranteed results...echh...

Champ out and hoping that these commentators will choke on their own spit and eventually die...

LuvSox
03-01-2003, 04:46 PM
LOL!!! True dat, true dat! I can't believe I remember Hawk saying to DJ that one of his favorite new commentators was Rick Sutcliffe! Tells you the low standards that Hawk has...echh...

Champ out... And it was Hawk's idea to put Fisk in left field.

TimChamp
03-01-2003, 04:56 PM

You're right, Thomas IS in the game, he has had 3 fly balls now to CF, the last one being a sac fly...

Nice job by Jimenez and Lee there...

6-4 game now

Champ out...

gogosoxgogo
03-01-2003, 05:00 PM
alright, Munoz is in. I can't wait to see (hear) how he does in this air. If he can get his curve over here, I'll be thrilled.

gogosoxgogo
03-01-2003, 05:02 PM
Brumbaugh is in for Carlos. Sanders remains in center.

gogosoxgogo
03-01-2003, 05:04 PM
Munoz 1-2-3 inning with a strikeout. That's my boy!

LuvSox
03-01-2003, 05:04 PM
alright, Munoz is in. I can't wait to see (hear) how he does in this air. If he can get his curve over here, I'll be thrilled. Not bad, we'll take that. Luis Gonzalez would look good on the Sox. Just daydreaming.

LuvSox
03-01-2003, 05:08 PM
Great... a knuckleballer. What a retarded pitch.

gogosoxgogo
03-01-2003, 05:11 PM
Great... a knuckleballer. What a retarded pitch.

Yeah, because Wilbur Wood and Hoyt Wilhelm just stunk it up, didn't they?

gogosoxgogo
03-01-2003, 05:14 PM
diving catch by Brumbaugh to preseve Munoz's perfect inning and a third. Munoz goes out, he sounded very good. Take that Logo!

LuvSox
03-01-2003, 05:16 PM
Yeah, because Wilbur Wood and Hoyt Wilhelm just stunk it up, didn't they? Ooh, you threw a couple of our guys in my face. That stings! :)

TimChamp
03-01-2003, 05:16 PM
Anybody heard of Brian Cooper before??? Any info. on him...

Champ out....

guillen4life13
03-01-2003, 05:19 PM
Yeah, because Wilbur Wood and Hoyt Wilhelm just stunk it up, didn't they?

It's kinda stupid to throw a knuckler when you're in the desert and nothings really there to move the ball (unless there's good wind or it's for some odd reason extremely humid)

LuvSox
03-01-2003, 05:20 PM

Champ out.... Maybe it's Don's son, like Dusty Baker lets his kid run around.

RKMeibalane
03-01-2003, 05:23 PM

Champ out....

Brian Cooper was a fictioinal character from The Wonder Years. He was tragically killed in Vietnam.

TimChamp
03-01-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Brian Cooper was a fictioinal character from The Wonder Years. He was tragically killed in Vietnam.

LOL! OK, I know you guys know I meant the pitcher, but I do appreciate the anecdotes (whatever they're called)...All I know about him is he's probably a Non-Roster Invitee and he doesn't have good stats. at all...

Champ out...

TimChamp
03-01-2003, 05:28 PM
Maybe it's Don's son, like Dusty Baker lets his kid run around.

LOL! That's a good one too...

Champ out...

LuvSox
03-01-2003, 05:32 PM
My Brumbaugh hurts

gogosoxgogo
03-01-2003, 05:32 PM
Ooh, you threw a couple of our guys in my face. That stings! :)

I was merely pointing out some guys who suceeded with a knuckler. I'd throw Wakefield's last year in there as well. By your post, it appeared you thought that the knuckler should be abodended all together. The knuckler is a very tough pitch to throw, but if you can throw it correctly, it's also a very tough pitch to hit.

gogosoxgogo
03-01-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
It's kinda stupid to throw a knuckler when you're in the desert and nothings really there to move the ball (unless there's good wind or it's for some odd reason extremely humid)

Indeed, but this is spring training. The games mean absolutely nothing. A pitcher is not going to drop his main pitch simply because he has to pitch one game in dry air.

LuvSox
03-01-2003, 05:38 PM
I was merely pointing out some guys who suceeded with a knuckler. I'd throw Wakefield's last year in there as well. By your post, it appeared you thought that the knuckler should be abodended all together. The knuckler is a very tough pitch to throw, but if you can throw it correctly, it's also a very tough pitch to hit. Actually that's what I meant. You don't see too many guys who can throw it well. Wood, Niekro, maybe Hough.

Rocklive99
03-01-2003, 05:43 PM

Champ out...

Today's game is a "home" game for the Sox (AL), so they use the DH, whereas yesterday was a home game for the Diamondbacks (NL).

What's the score, 7-4?

Huisj
03-01-2003, 05:44 PM
LOL! OK, I know you guys know I meant the pitcher, but I do appreciate the anecdotes (whatever they're called)...All I know about him is he's probably a Non-Roster Invitee and he doesn't have good stats. at all...

Champ out...

Cooper was supposed to be a decent prospect with the angels a few years ago, around the same time that washburn came up i believe. He started like in 99 or 2000 as their fifth starter, but he pitched awful and has just kicked around in AAA for a few years. he might even have gone to the blue jays system last year, but that's all just off the top of my head . . . let me check it out and see . . .

gogosoxgogo
03-01-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Rocklive99
What's the score, 7-4?

Yup, heading into the top of the 9th.

Huisj
03-01-2003, 05:48 PM
ok, he came up in late '99, pitched decent, and then got a rotation spot for half of 2000, but pitched bad. he can't strike anyone out it looks like. he's 28 or 29 years old now. hasn't done much the last few years.

LuvSox
03-01-2003, 05:50 PM
It's Wunch Time

voodoochile
03-01-2003, 05:54 PM
Yup, heading into the top of the 9th.

Man I don't want to reread this whole thread:

Who has the 7?

:)

gogosoxgogo
03-01-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Who has the 7?

Take a guess. (Hint: It's not the Sox)

Jjav829
03-01-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Who has the 7?

Da Bears!

Heh, seriously though last chance for the Sox coming up.

LuvSox
03-01-2003, 06:01 PM
Are these two "cooky" guys doing the game tomorrow?

gogosoxgogo
yikes, Hummel hit by a pitch. Sox down to last two outs with Burke up.

Jjav829
4-6-3 DP ends the game. 0-2 on the season. This is going to be a long season.

gogosoxgogo

Yes, but thank God because Farmer and Rooney will be doing it also. You can listen to them either online or via ESPN Radio 1000 directly.

Jjav829
03-01-2003, 06:02 PM

ESPN 1000 will cover tommorrow's game. Colon and Buehrle pitch as well! Woohoo! :smile:

OEO Magglio
03-01-2003, 06:07 PM
Colon and Buehrle pitch as well! Woohoo!
And don't forget about Koch.

RKMeibalane
03-01-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
ESPN 1000 will cover tommorrow's game. Colon and Buehrle pitch as well! Woohoo! :smile:

Good. Maybe they'll keep the Diamondbacks from scoring more than five runs. Then again...

LuvSox
03-01-2003, 06:12 PM
Yes, but thank God because Farmer and Rooney will be doing it also. You can listen to them either online or via ESPN Radio 1000 directly. Beautiful

gogosoxgogo
03-01-2003, 08:08 PM
Where you guys getting this info on who will pitch on what days? Is it in a written source anywhere?

Lip Man 1
03-02-2003, 03:48 AM
One of the D'back announcers you folks were talking about is Thom Brenneman.

He's the son of long time Reds Hall Of Fame announcer Marty Brenneman.

Thom began his MLB broadcasting career with the Cubs in the late 80's, early 90's before going to Arizona when that team became a reality.

He also works for the national Fox network doing regional games in the Summer as well as for CBS radio helping out in their NCAA tournament basketball coverage.

He also worked for Fox doing NFL games a few years ago.

Lip