Chicago Sun-Times:

1 Cub story
2 Sox stories

Chicago Tribune:

2 Cub Storys
2 Sox Stories

Cubs 178
Sox 130

One of the stories about the Sox involves some bad blood between Jimenez and things he said about the Padres. Great story on Thomas today too. Hes slowly but surely sounding like the Old Thomas....man he may be dangerous again this year.

Hangar18
03-02-2003, 11:34 PM
SUNDAY MARCH 2, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

3 Cub Stories
2 Sox Stories

Chicago Tribune:

3 Cub Stories
3 Sox Stories

Mariottis story about Shammy today calls on him to get himself "tested" for steroids. it was an ok article, I guess. I know tomorrow, were going to read how the cubs were able to sign all 10 of their picks, and what a great organization they are to have been able to do that blah blah blah. I freaking hate Scott Boras. Brownlie should've told the cubs to jam it, and taken classes again and he wouldve gotten that 4 million Boras told him he deserves (boras needs another yacht) Cubs luckily, drafted a guy who was shopping at the same Lexus dealer as Prior and Hill, and realized he better sign now, or he'll have to wait til June before he drives his new Lexus or Hummer. His credibility with me went down the Toilet when he told the cubs he was going to class if he didnt sign. He didnt sign, then secretly didnt go to class. all about the benjamins

Hangar18
03-03-2003, 11:13 AM
Monday March 3, 2003

Chicago Sun-TImes:

3 cub stories
1 sox story

Chicago Tribune:

2 cub story
2 sox story

One of the big stories in the sun-times, is sammy sueing the state of IL. good for him. this state and the city too are brutal when it comes to stealing from its citizens, whether thru taxation, or parking tickets. or exorbitant fees for stickers, and plates and bs like that. Good story about Valentin today too. all in all, the cubs seem to just sloooooowly keep pulling away from the sox as far as media coverage is concerned.

Cheryl
03-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Sammy's an idiot (well, okay, I know) if he's been paying state income taxes in states where he's not a resident. That's what he should be suing, not Illinois. Moron. (one edit) Sammy's the moron. I re-read this and wanted to make that clear. He and his accountant are morons if they're paying taxes anywhere but where he's a legal resident.

BTW, this is my pet grammar peeve. You can only be a citizen of a country. You're a resident of anything else--state, city, village, whatever.

Procol Harum
03-03-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Cheryl

BTW, this is my pet grammar peeve. You can only be a citizen of a country. You're a resident of anything else--state, city, village, whatever.

Au contraire....

From Merriam-Webster:

cit·i·zen
Pronunciation: 'si-t&-z&n also -s&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English citizein, from Anglo-French citezein, alteration of Old French citeien, from cité city
Date: 14th century
1 : an inhabitant of a city or town; especially : one entitled to the rights and privileges of a freeman
2 a : a member of a state b : a native or naturalized person who owes allegiance to a government and is entitled to protection from it
3 : a civilian as distinguished from a specialized servant of the state
- cit·i·zen·ly /-z&n-lE also -s&n-/ adjective

Hangar18
03-04-2003, 11:55 AM
TUESDAY March 4, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

2 Cub Stories
2 Sox Stories

Chicago Tribune:

3 Cub Stories
2 Sox Stories

Why is Bud Selig still comissioner? Big story, (which will get BIGGER as the season unfolds) about Baker now Being the 1st Cub Mgr to manage the NL All-Stars. The Media is just as giddy as Baker is. Baker is being lauded for doing nothing more than just having his hand out. Just another reason for me to hate with a Passion that other team. Ive never seen a team with so many hand-outs and hand-me-down players. This just makes a farce of the League and Seligs Administration. How is a Team that almost lost 100 games, REWARDED with sending their mgr to the all-star game? WATCH HOW BIG A STORY THIS BECOMES as the year unfolds. Aint that a bitch? The North Side Team is going to "out-media" them in their Own All-Star Game. Great picture in the Tribune of our potential starters today. Cubs should break the 200 story mark by tomorrow. In little over 2 months, the cubs have been able to generate 194 stories.

Hangar18
03-05-2003, 11:31 AM
WEDNESDAY FEB 5, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

2 Cub Stories
2 Sox Stories

Chicago Tribune:

2 Cub stories
2 Sox stories

Media is starting to get it that Borchard is pretty good. Sox not able to catch up to the cubs today either in media coverage. Funny to hear sportscasters Marveling the fact the cubs will have an Allstar mgr for first time since 1946, announcing it in a tone conveying that the CUBS ACCOMPLISHED something. They didnt accomplish anything....It was Peter Magowans ACTIONS that helped the cubs out here. Is Magowan starting to remind you of Jerry Reinsdorf? Willing to shoot himself in the foot to prove a point??

Hangar18
03-06-2003, 10:11 AM
Cubs 203, Sox 150

Chicago Sun-Times:

2 cub stories
2 sox stories

Chicago Tribune:

3 cub stories
2 sox stories

The cubs have opened up a 53 story lead on the sox, their biggest lead since january. 53 stories. Imagine the media completely IGNORING any sox stories for a whole month. they would still have to go about 2 more weeks of NO SOX stories to accomplish a 53 story lead.

Hangar18
03-06-2003, 10:48 AM
As we all know, Sox Tix go on sale Sat Mar. 8. Im curious to see if we get the same 3 stories dedicated to JUST TICKET SELLING. will there be any cute angles? any Fluffy quotes? Will the 5 Major Networks here do segments/stories on this? Will CBS, NBC, ABC, WGN and FOX be there with LIVE Updates From UsCellular Friday Nite??? STAY TUNED FOLKS!!!! Im Watching!

Hangar18
03-07-2003, 12:37 PM
FRIDAY MARCH 7, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

1 Cub Story
1 Sox Story

Chicago Tribune:

3 Cub Stories
3 Sox Stories

Interesting Sox stories today on Buehrle and CLee. Sox still not able to gain any ground on the cubs as far as media coverage. Tomorrow should be a BONUS for the Sox, as their tickets for 2003 season go on sale. This should account for about 3 to 5 extra stories in the dailies (judging from all the coverage the cubs got)

Hangar18
03-08-2003, 08:14 PM
Saturday March 8, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

2 Cub stories
1 Sox stories

Chicago Tribune:

2 cub stories
2 sox stories

Cubs pull ever so slowly away. I havent noticed any "BONUS" coverage on Sox Tickets going on sale, however if anyone noticed, please let me know.....

Hangar18
03-09-2003, 10:25 AM
Sunday February 9, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

3 cub stories
2 sox stories

Chicago Tribune:

3 cub stories
2 sox stories

Phil rogers wrote an interesting piece on the Twinkies. Mike Downey also writes a piece on cub and sox hopes. SInce this story was about both teams....I didnt count it in the stats. Rogers column about the "heat being on 3 cubs" is all too true. Joltin Joe Borchard and Joe Crede operate in near anonymity, while the Media is in love with Hee Soip and Bobby "Millions of Dollars" Hill. So glad to see Hill off to bad start, Karmas a Funny Funny Thing eh Bobby?

Dick Allen
03-09-2003, 01:28 PM
Did you see Dusty Baker's reaction to the Baby Bears' "win" in Handsome Mike Kiley's article? You would have thought it was the first game of the World Series. It's nice to see that Cub mentality already permeating his pea brain.

Hangar18
03-10-2003, 12:33 PM
Monday Feb 10, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

2 Cub stories
2 Sox stories

Chicago Tribune:

2 cub stories
2 sox stories

still not able to catch the cubs for even coverage.

Hangar18
03-11-2003, 10:30 AM
Tuesday March 11, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

2 cubs
2 sox

Chicago Tribune:

2 cubs
3 sox

Mike Kiley, without a story to write the last two days, chooses to fill his articles with CubFluff. yesterdays article was Kiley comparing Baker and his kid/family to the Kennedys. He said there will be a new "Camelot" on the lakefront for years. right. Today, kiles Hard News coverage is about a party at sammys place and how for sure, this yrs team is more "harmonious" than the last one (ever notice how every year theres a story like this about the cubs?) Slezaks article on M Buehrle is awesome. shes right. It is apparent and obvious he wants to be a St. Louis Cardinal badly. he should consider how tough it is to play for your "home" town team. ask Hundley about that. and Griffey.

fuzzy_patters
03-11-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Tuesday March 11, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

2 cubs
2 sox

Chicago Tribune:

2 cubs
3 sox

Mike Kiley, without a story to write the last two days, chooses to fill his articles with CubFluff. yesterdays article was Kiley comparing Baker and his kid/family to the Kennedys. He said there will be a new "Camelot" on the lakefront for years. right. Today, kiles Hard News coverage is about a party at sammys place and how for sure, this yrs team is more "harmonious" than the last one (ever notice how every year theres a story like this about the cubs?) Slezaks article on M Buehrle is awesome. shes right. It is apparent and obvious he wants to be a St. Louis Cardinal badly. he should consider how tough it is to play for your "home" town team. ask Hundley about that. and Griffey.

and Josh Paul.

Hangar18
03-12-2003, 11:16 AM
Wednesday March 12, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

2 cub stories
3 sox stories

Chicago Tribune:

2 cub stories
3 sox stories

what shouldve been a Positive spin by Mariotti, is instead another negative jab at the sox and Thomas. im so freakin mad, im not going to comment further on this....

Hangar18
03-13-2003, 11:09 AM
Thursday March 13, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

3 cub stories
1 sox stories

Chicago Tribune:

3 cub stories
1 sox stories

Big news today is Daley telling the cubs to jam their proposal to steal public property "because they cant win without the bleachers" nonsense. what i dont like is Moron Mariotti, in just one sentence, injecting this battle of "Daley/Sox Fan vs the Tribsters". what is he trying to do?? ridiculous. i hate him.
Wood and Sosa are being good company men now and saying they need the Bleachers too...to "compete". Nonsense.
Daley is doing the right thing........this is a Greedy Corporation trying to Strong-Arm the City Issue.....

Hangar18
03-15-2003, 11:01 AM
Saturday March 14, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

1 cub
1 sox

Chicago Tribune:

2 cub
2 sox

Stories have been pretty even the last few days, however sox still not able to Catch up to the Cubs in overall Media Coverage.
Listening to am1000 right now, and Grobber is bitching about why the cubs didnt sign Thome (cannot believe Thome even thought about coming here) he is definitely a cub fan, but seems to know his baseball.

Hangar18
03-17-2003, 10:52 AM
Sunday March 16, 2003
Chicago Sun-Times:
2 cub
2 sox
Chicago Tribune:
2 cub
2 sox

Cubs 239
Sox 179

Monday March 17, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

3 Cub stories
1 Sox story

Chicago Trib:

1 cub story
1 sox story

Hangar18
03-18-2003, 05:52 PM
Tuesday March 18, 2003

Chicago SunTimes:

2 cub
1 sox

Chicago Trib:

1 cub
1 sox

Sox actually lose a little more ground today. Cubs now lead by
63 stories.

fuzzy_patters
03-19-2003, 01:45 AM
I predict the Sox gain some ground in October. :cool:

Hangar18
03-19-2003, 01:53 PM
Wednesday March 19, 2003

Chicago SunTimes:

2 cub
2 sox

Chicago Trib:

2 cub
2 sox

Already, seeing stories about Baker getting frustrated. hhahaha, what did he think, curses just go away overnite because hes here now?? heh heh, This is just the beginning Dusty!!!! sox unfortuneately, again not able to gain ground on the cubs for coverage.

Hangar18
03-20-2003, 11:49 AM
Thursday March 20, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

3 cub stories
2 sox stories

Chicago Tribune:

2 cub stories
2 sox stories

Pretty funny article by Greg Couch in the Times. Sox managed to lose more ground to the cubs today in overall media coverage.

Hangar18
03-21-2003, 12:08 PM
Friday March 21, 2003

Chicago SunTimes:

2 cub
1 sox

Chicago Tribune:

2 cub
2 sox

Nice of the suntimes to print a full color picture of mark bellhorn to go along w the story. no such luck for our sox. we lose some more ground again.

Hangar18
03-24-2003, 01:35 PM
Monday March 24, 2003 plus weekend

Chicago Sun Times:

3 cub
3 sox

Chicago Tribune:

5 cub
3 sox

Sox have managed to lose ground to the cubs with a story here, and extra story there. at this rate...in about a month the cubs will pull to 100 extra stories over the sox. ridiculous.

Hangar18
03-27-2003, 01:57 PM
For Week thru 2.27.03

Chicago Sun Times:

5 cub stories
3 sox stories

Chicago Tribune:

10 cub stories
6 sox stories

Nice to see Fred Mitchell of the Trib doing another phony QA story
about the Cubs. not sure the count, but theres a TON from him devoted to nothing but cub. Nice stories about the sox, but as usual, the cubs just keep slowly pulling away....

Hangar18
03-28-2003, 05:12 PM
Friday March 28, 2003

Chicago Sun Times:

2 cub stories
2 sox stories

Chicago Tribune:

2 cub stories
1 sox stories

big story on danny wright today, but somehow, sox slowly
losing ground on the hated cubs...

Hangar18
03-29-2003, 02:26 PM
Saturday March 29, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

1 cub story
1 sox story

Chicago Tribune:

2 cub stories
1 sox story

Though there seems to be little news regarding both teams, The Cubs somehow keep managing to get one extra story in our papers. This shouldnt make a difference, however, seeing all the press they got back in december and january, this BS keeps adding up. Im getting sick of the Extra Stories, the Extra TV coverage, and (watch for this) the Extra Front Page (tribune, back page for the Sun-Times) "LEAD" stories the cubs will get come Opening Day. The general rule of thumb for the newspapers here is that whichever Team is "HOME", they get the "lead" story, or headline which would be on the Front/Back page of the Papers. The Cubs and Sox both open on the road monday 3.31, I'll bet big $$$$ the Cubs get the "LEAD STORY" treatment, with color pictures and all.

Hangar18
03-30-2003, 08:10 PM
Sunday March 30, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

3 cubs
3 sox

Chicago Tribune:

3 cubs
3 sox

Lots of good stories about our sox today. man.....almost couldnt read them all. The magglio story was really good. the buck weaver story wasnt able to finish, but looked good too.
Getting tired of the Messiah Prior stories around. Mike Kiley loves him. Come Monday, lets check to see who gets the Front/Back page/Color Picture Treatment

T Dog
03-31-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Cheryl

Technically, this isn't a grammar issue, but one of style and clarity. You are right, though, Cheryl. Cities and states in the USA do not confer citizenship. The Associated Press Stylebook is on your side. To avoid confusion, the book directs writers to refer to people as residents of cities, states etc.

I don't want to start calling people on their grammar or usage, but, you deserve credit for being a careful writer.