PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Sox vs. D-Backs Game Thread 2-28-03

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 02:22 PM
Hey guys, thought I would start this thread related to today's game... :D:

Champ out...

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 02:25 PM
Anybody know anything about Olivo's catching abilities? He's already had one pitch bounce off his chest protector and he missed a curve that moved to Womack to third base... :(:

D-Backs strike first: 1-0 :angry:

Champ out...

kermittheefrog
02-28-2003, 02:26 PM
Anyone listening online? I can't get the netcast to work.

duke of dorwood
02-28-2003, 02:27 PM
Danny Wrong is in form-2 walks already.

czalgosz
02-28-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Anyone listening online? I can't get the netcast to work.

I am, I've got no problems, but I've got broadband at work (I'm on lunch right now, not slacking.)

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 02:29 PM
I'm just chilling here, listening to it on MLB.com, no classes today :gulp:

Champ out...

duke of dorwood
MAGGS DINGER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TimChamp
HOMERUN ORDONEZ!!!

YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD YES!!!

1-1

Champ out...

kermittheefrog
02-28-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
I am, I've got no problems, but I've got broadband at work (I'm on lunch right now, not slacking.)

Yeah I'm on sketchy school broadband but I think the problem is my version of real player isn't updated enough because I hate that program. This is soon to be "fixed".

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Danny Wrong is in form-2 walks already.

LOL! You got that right, I really don't trust Wright (Wrong), I don't think he should just have his job handed to him...I think Saunders should and could compete with him for that spot...

Champ out...

czalgosz
02-28-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by TimChamp
LOL! You got that right, I really don't trust Wright (Wrong), I don't think he should just have his job handed to him...I think Saunders should and could compete with him for that spot...

Champ out...

LOL... one inning of ST, and we're already writing off a pitcher. Is that a new record, or what?

FanOf14
02-28-2003, 02:34 PM
He had 14 (more than Garland, okay, only 2, but still) wins last year and I think we already know with him that he is either really on or really off. Also, it's a little early in ST to be thinking someone is going to suck, isn't it? Has Olivo caught him before?

FanOf14
02-28-2003, 02:36 PM
Didn't we nail Schilling last year in ST? If I remember correctly, most pitchers in the AZ (cactus?) league were nailed last year inST.

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 02:37 PM
LOL... one inning of ST, and we're already writing off a pitcher. Is that a new record, or what?

No, no, ever since last year, I've always been down on Wright, I don't know, I like Garland, definitely better than him and Wright has only proved me wrong a couple of times or so, i.e. with that performance against Boston...

I haven't written him off, but the way Manuel has just handed Wright the job makes me wonder? What if Rauch and Saunders are more deserving to make the team? Then what? Only one of them makes it because Wright has "locked" up the spot? :?:

Champ out...

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
Didn't we nail Schilling last year in ST? If I remember correctly, most pitchers in the AZ (cactus?) league were nailed last year inST.

I think he owned us mostly last year, but we "owned" him one or two games and let the floodgates go on our run production...

Champ out...

duke of dorwood
02-28-2003, 02:39 PM
Wrong gives up a double to career singles hitter Grace. Ouch

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Wrong gives up a double to career singles hitter Grace. Ouch

LOL! I like that description...it fits Gracie very well...

Hey, it's only 1 1/3 innings of ST, don't write of Wright (Wrong) yet... :D:

Champ out...

czalgosz
02-28-2003, 02:42 PM
Has Olivo caught him before?

Nope.

originally posted by TimChamp
I haven't written him off, but the way Manuel has just handed Wright the job makes me wonder? What if Rauch and Saunders are more deserving to make the team? Then what? Only one of them makes it because Wright has "locked" up the spot?

Saunders shouldn't make the team no matter how good his spring. He needs time in the minors.

If you're not giving up on Wright, you shouldn't send him down. At this point, he's showed that he belongs at the big-league level.

And IMO he has a higher ceiling than Garland, but that's just me.

duke of dorwood
02-28-2003, 02:49 PM
More damage to Wrong-he's knocked out already.

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 02:49 PM
Nope.

Saunders shouldn't make the team no matter how good his spring. He needs time in the minors.

If you're not giving up on Wright, you shouldn't send him down. At this point, he's showed that he belongs at the big-league level.

And IMO he has a higher ceiling than Garland, but that's just me.

Well, supposedly, he's like Buerhle, so if he is "lights out" in ST, why not give him a chance??? Wright could always go to the bullpen...

Speaking of the bullpen, time to take out Wrong, he is just getting shellacked now...

Champ out...

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 02:51 PM
Anybody know anything about Felix Diaz? Any good? AA, AAA Pitcher???

Champ out...

duke of dorwood
02-28-2003, 02:52 PM
Run forced in-4-1 AZ-

Viva Magglio
02-28-2003, 02:54 PM
Jesus! What an abysmal start!!!!!!!!!

teal-teal-teal-teal-teal-teal-teal-teal
:firejerry

Seriously, though, Danny pitched like The Corpse of Frank Lloyd Wright today. But never hang your hat on Game 1 of ST.

Lip Man 1
02-28-2003, 02:57 PM
They only good thing you can say about Danny Wright's performance is that "it's early..."

Wright better damn well hope so, he was absolutely terrible!

Which begs a question (as the D-backs keep pouring it on with walks and infield hits...)

after spending six weeks in the light air of Tuscon getting your brains beat out, what is the psychological damage done to pitchers?

Suddenly you're in Kansas City (or where ever) and now "automatically" you are supposed to be able to "turn it on?"

Suddenly you are supposed to have "faith" in your breaking pitch?

I said from the start, it was a mistake moving to Arizona.

Lip

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by ¡Viva Mágglio!
Jesus! What an abysmal start!!!!!!!!!

:firejerry

Seriously, though, Danny pitched like The Corpse of Frank Lloyd Wright today. But never hang your hat on Game 1 of ST.

Hey, does anybody think we can top the 7.83 (?) ERA we had in ST last year? :D:

Champ out...

FanOf14
02-28-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

after spending six weeks in the light air of Tuscon getting your brains beat out, what is the psychological damage done to pitchers?

Suddenly you're in Kansas City (or where ever) and now "automatically" you are supposed to be able to "turn it on?"

Suddenly you are supposed to have "faith" in your breaking pitch?

I said from the start, it was a mistake moving to Arizona.

Lip

I agree about the moving to AZ thing, but last year, the pitchers seemed okay when the real games began, but who knows, maybe they could have been better...

kermittheefrog
02-28-2003, 03:00 PM
Well, supposedly, he's like Buerhle, so if he is "lights out" in ST, why not give him a chance??? Wright could always go to the bullpen...

Speaking of the bullpen, time to take out Wrong, he is just getting shellacked now...

Champ out...

I assume you're talking about Dave Sanders because the only Saunders in our system is an infielder. I doubt Sanders will compete with Wright for a starting job because he's a reliever.

You could be confusing Sanders with Josh Stewart. The thing is both Sanders and Stewart are within a few months of Buehrle's age and have never pitched in AAA. Whereas Buehrle is entering his fourth season in the bigs... Anyone to compare those two scrap heap arms to Buehrle is out of their minds.

Just because they are lefthanded and don't throw in the mid 90's doesn't make them comparable to Buehrle.

LuvSox
02-28-2003, 03:01 PM
Sounds like a crappy game so far, but Rooney and Farmer are the music my ears need!

czalgosz
02-28-2003, 03:03 PM
I said it last ST when everyone was freaking out - there is no correlation between ST performance and regular-season performance. None.

Last ST, Shane Halter led the world in Spring Training offensive production, while Jason Giambi struggled. hmm....

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 03:06 PM
I assume you're talking about Dave Sanders because the only Saunders in our system is an infielder. I doubt Sanders will compete with Wright for a starting job because he's a reliever.

You could be confusing Sanders with Josh Stewart. The thing is both Sanders and Stewart are within a few months of Buehrle's age and have never pitched in AAA. Whereas Buehrle is entering his fourth season in the bigs... Anyone to compare those two scrap heap arms to Buehrle is out of their minds.

Just because they are lefthanded and don't throw in the mid 90's doesn't make them comparable to Buehrle.

Yeah, that's what I meant, sorry, too many S-names on the White Sox, I was confused, I normally would look their names up, but I haven't got much sleep lately...So, a combination of lack of sleep and laziness factored into it... :D:

Ummmm, well, a lot of "experts" seem to make that comparison of Buerhle with Stewart...at least from what I have read...so either they are "experts" or out of their minds... :?:

Champ out...

czalgosz
02-28-2003, 03:08 PM
Anybody know anything about Felix Diaz? Any good? AA, AAA Pitcher???

Champ out...

IIRC he was the guy the Sox got for Lofton last year - good pitcher with some health concerns, I think.

He pitched for AA Birmingham last year.

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 03:09 PM
I said it last ST when everyone was freaking out - there is no correlation between ST performance and regular-season performance. None.

Last ST, Shane Halter led the world in Spring Training offensive production, while Jason Giambi struggled. hmm....

Maybe I should start making my posts more clear...start posting in teal more often...hey, at least our defense seems pretty good...nice plays by Harris and Crede...

Could it be the start of corpse ball again? :?:

Champ out...

kermittheefrog
02-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Yeah, that's what I meant, sorry, too many S-names on the White Sox, I was confused, I normally would look their names up, but I haven't got much sleep lately...So, a combination of lack of sleep and laziness factored into it... :D:

Ummmm, well, a lot of "experts" seem to make that comparison of Buerhle with Sanders...at least from what I have read...so either they are "experts" or out of their minds... :?:

Champ out...

What experts? Neither Sanders nor Stewart has ever appeared on a Baseball America top prospect list for the White Sox. Neither has gotten any attention from John Sickels, a real prospect expert.

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 03:18 PM
What experts? Neither Sanders nor Stewart has ever appeared on a Baseball America top prospect list for the White Sox. Neither has gotten any attention from John Sickels, a real prospect expert.

I will try to find the article, that stated what I'm talking about, but unfortunately, I don't read Baseball America nor do I rely on their opinions to base my judgments...I mostly rely on the "journalistic integrity" of the people that write about the White Sox, such as the Tribune and WhiteSox.com's writers...but I'm not sure if they would be considered "experts"...

Hey, I'm just stating what I've read and since I am not an "expert" myself, I tend to rely solely on what I read from "reliable" newspaper sources...Sorry if I state something that is "out of this world," I'm just stating what I've read...

I've never even seen the kid play, I'm just saying that why should Wright be "handed" his job? He hasn't proven anything to me, other than the ability to pitch 190+ innings. And oh yeah, he has proven that he is inconsistent, but I AM NOT WRITING him off. Just saying that it's "unfair" that Manuel would say that they are "only" looking for someone to fill the 5th roster spot, when a possible upgrade could be found with Stewart...

Champ out...

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 03:21 PM
IIRC he was the guy the Sox got for Lofton last year - good pitcher with some health concerns, I think.

He pitched for AA Birmingham last year.

I thought his name was familiar...Thanks for the info. czalgosz, I appreciate it...

Champ out...

Lip Man 1
02-28-2003, 03:22 PM
Nice to see NOTHING has changed yet from last season. MORE DUMB BASERUNNING!

Just what the hell do they actually work on the first ten days?

So much for Uncle Jerry's "boot camp..."

Lip

MarkEdward
Where's John Rooney? Is he still doing college basketball games somewhere?

I don't really mind Ed Farmer as a play-by-play man. He gets on my nerves whenever he tells his long golf stories or boring baseball anecdotes. If he's doing pbp, though, he has to focus on the game.

TimChamp
Hey, Gordon did pretty good, I thought he might have problems in Arizona considering that his best pitch is that wicked curveball, but he did OK, hopefully he can be a pretty nice addition to the White Sox bullpen this year...

Champ out...

RKMeibalane
02-28-2003, 03:24 PM

Lip

I had the same thought. What the hell was Thomas doing? I hope that was just his mistake and not something the coaching staff is responsible for. Ughhh!

Now, Gonzalez has homered. It's already starting. Fire Manuel!

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 03:24 PM
Nice start by Rauch...homerun toss to Gonzalez...

Champ out...

Lip Man 1
02-28-2003, 03:27 PM
But remember he's certainly better then Rogers, Daal or Helling! We can just give him the 5th starter spot

LOL

Lip

LuvSox
02-28-2003, 03:27 PM
What was with that NWI commercial? I don't want any Ill people over here. :) I'm just kidding, My family is from the south side. GO SOX

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 03:30 PM

Lip

As far as I'm concerned, dumb baserunning is half the player and half the coach's fault...A base running coach can only teach so much, but it's actually up to the player to do anything about it...I think last year, it was more the player's faults that we had so many base running blunders...But I have to admit, it did help that Wally was always waving the runners in and the fact that Pettis was providing ill-advised advice to steal second or third...

So, it's still early, let's hope that whoever they brought in to help with baserunning (Kimm or Santana???) can work on that in ST before the regular season starts...

Champ out...

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 03:33 PM
But remember he's certainly better then Rogers, Daal or Helling! We can just give him the 5th starter spot

LOL

Lip

Right on Lip, exactly my point with Wright and handing him the 4th spot in the rotation...

But honsetly, I REALLY think we should have signed Rogers to a minor-league deal, at least, I really like Rogers, he seems to have pretty good knowledge about pitching; I like the way he pitches...Of course, it would help if his agent wasn't Boras and that we could ACTUALLY sign him in the first place...Other than that, I think it's worth a shot to sign Rogers...Wait, has somebody already signed Rogers?

Champ out...

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 03:37 PM
Hey I was busy trying to respond to some of these posts, but how did Frank get on base and then get himself off base?

Champ out...

kermittheefrog
02-28-2003, 03:38 PM
The Tribune and especially Whitesox.com aren't reliable or accurate in their evaluations of players. In fact I would never look to them for anything other than background info like what college the player came from, etc.

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 03:41 PM
The Tribune and especially Whitesox.com aren't reliable or accurate in their evaluations of players. In fact I would never look to them for anything other than background info like what college the player came from, etc.

Oh, OK, I guess I'm too much of an optimist and when I read something, I get taken in easily when there is a lot of "hype" around a pitcher...And I don't really have Baseball America and I assume that the info. that these journalists write are somewhat based on an expert opinion. Now, I know what I'm really reading...

I guess it's also the fact that I just don't REALLY like Wright in that 4th spot...I mean, don't get me wrong, I would love for the guy to succeed, but I think he could be the weak link in the rotation...that and the 5th spot; whoever that goes too...

Champ out...

hold2dibber
02-28-2003, 03:42 PM
Right on Lip, exactly my point with Wright and handing him the 4th spot in the rotation...

But honsetly, I REALLY think we should have signed Rogers to a minor-league deal, at least, I really like Rogers, he seems to have pretty good knowledge about pitching; I like the way he pitches...Of course, it would help if his agent wasn't Boras and that we could ACTUALLY sign him in the first place...Other than that, I think it's worth a shot to sign Rogers...Wait, has somebody already signed Rogers?

Champ out...

Rogers has not signed; Jayson Stark's column on ESPN.com today suggests (as I predicted last week) that he's probably headed back to the Rangers after May 1. There's no way he would accept a minor league deal from the Sox or anyone else. The Sox, reportedly, offered him over $1 mm but he declined. Still, I wouldn't have minded them signing Finley or Rogers.

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Rogers has not signed; Jayson Stark's column on ESPN.com today suggests (as I predicted last week) that he's probably headed back to the Rangers after May 1. There's no way he would accept a minor league deal from the Sox or anyone else. The Sox, reportedly, offered him over $1 mm but he declined. Still, I wouldn't have minded them signing Finley or Rogers.

Wow, that's gotta suck for Rogers. Getting offered a 2year, $10 mill. deal, rejecting it, and then coming back...I wonder what they will end up offering him??? That would be interesting to see...Take that Boras!!! :gulp:

kevingrt
02-28-2003, 03:46 PM
Nice to see our back up outfielder having some power. Nice to put one on the board for Rios!

I love the sound of a huge infield pop-up by Frank! :angry:

LuvSox
Rios hits a dinger, Thomas uses all his might to.........pop out.

FanOf14
Wow, that's gotta suck for Rogers. Getting offered a 2year, $10 mill. deal, rejecting it, and then coming back...I wonder what they will end up offering him??? That would be interesting to see...Take that Boras!!! :gulp:

Depending on how bad they need him, I hope they offer the minimum just to see what borass does...

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 03:47 PM
Hey Rios seems to be pretty good. From what I've heard from Farmer, he had a rocket arm throwing to third base on a deep fly and now he hit a 2-run homer...

5-3 D-Backs now

Champ out...

FanOf14
02-28-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Rios hits a dinger, Thomas uses all his might to.........pop out.

LMAO! thanks - I needed a good laugh. No - i wasn't laughing at Thomas, just LuvSox' wording...

RKMeibalane
02-28-2003, 03:48 PM
Hey Rios seems to be pretty good. From what I've heard from Farmer, he had a rocket arm throwing to third base on a deep fly and now he hit a 2-run homer...

5-3 D-Backs now

Champ out...

:hawk

"You can put it on the board! YES!"

LuvSox
02-28-2003, 03:48 PM
Just curious, but did anyone ever think about David Cone? He was available all last year. Maybe he's too old, I dunno.

RKMeibalane
02-28-2003, 03:49 PM
Just curious, but did anyone ever think about David Cone? He was available all last year. Maybe he's too old, I dunno.

Cone signed a minor league deal with the Mets.

LuvSox
02-28-2003, 03:50 PM
LMAO! thanks - I needed a good laugh. No - i wasn't laughing at Thomas, just LuvSox' wording... I'm a fan of frank's actions ON the field, so I'm not riding him.

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Cone signed a minor league deal with the Mets.

Even if he was available, I would take Finley before I took Cone...Not impressed with Cone at all...

Champ out...

LuvSox
02-28-2003, 03:51 PM
Cone signed a minor league deal with the Mets. I'm aware of that, shoulda said it in the first place. Ah, nevermind.

FanOf14
02-28-2003, 03:52 PM
I'm a fan of frank's actions ON the field, so I'm not riding him.

I didn't think you were riding him, but your wording was funny! :)

FanOf14
02-28-2003, 03:54 PM
Will mlb.com have a box score of the game upon completion?

LuvSox
02-28-2003, 03:55 PM
Is there a new "ten run rule" we haven't heard about? Enough already AZ.

LuvSox
02-28-2003, 03:56 PM
Will mlb.com have a box score of the game upon completion? I hope not today

RKMeibalane
02-28-2003, 03:57 PM
Is there a new "ten run rule" we haven't heard about? Enough already AZ.

It's nice to see that Sox pitchers are in midseason form. I'm having flashbacks to the days of :nardi.

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 03:57 PM
Hey, maybe we can top that 7.83 ERA we had from last year's ST!!! :D:

Champ out...

LuvSox
02-28-2003, 03:58 PM
Anyone hear anymore about Sirotka? I hope he does great. (Not for the Cubs, of course. They can trade him first.)

bc2k
02-28-2003, 03:59 PM
Ed Farmer, "Glover's pitch, high, ball one. There are no double plays up there." Hilarious

LuvSox
02-28-2003, 04:03 PM
It's nice to see that Sox pitchers are in midseason form. I'm having flashbacks to the days of :nardi. I don't miss that hump at all. When I was in college I got busted for drinking on the way home from a party in Evansville. Haven't been back since.

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Ed Farmer, "Glover's pitch, high, ball one. There are no double plays up there." Hilarious

LOL! Yeah, the whole broadcast is pretty funny...The way Farmer is talking to himself, it's like he is ACTUALLY talking to someone else and then he answers himself as the other person... :D: :gulp:

Champ out...

MRKARNO
02-28-2003, 04:06 PM
I have read that Glover will be pretty much a guarentee in the bullpen. I would feel better if we had Muñoz and another in the bullpen. Maybe Loazia and Heredia will do long relief. If the 6th inning was any indication, Glover will start in Charlotte this season. We were in the game before he came on the mound

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 04:07 PM
Hey, Miles had a good play there...I've heard nothing but positives about this kid, was he brought up with the expanded roster last year??? Unfortunately, he almost has no chance of making the roster, according to what I've read...

Nice job by Glover...5 runs...ahhh, nothing like midseason form... :D:

Champ out...

Foulke You
02-28-2003, 04:08 PM
LOL! Yeah, the whole broadcast is pretty funny...The way Farmer is talking to himself, it's like he is ACTUALLY talking to someone else and then he answers himself as the other person... :D: :gulp:

Champ out...

It's great to hear Farmer again. Wish the score was a little better. C'mon Borchard, let's see some LTP!

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I have read that Glover will be pretty much a guarentee in the bullpen. I would feel better if we had Muñoz and another in the bullpen. Maybe Loazia and Heredia will do long relief. If the 6th inning was any indication, Glover will start in Charlotte this season. We were in the game before he came on the mound

True, true, I would love to have Munoz (don't know how to get that squiggly thing) but who would he replace? Don't forget, Glover had like a 1.21 ERA in the bullpen last year for the Sox, whatever that might mean...

Champ out...

bc2k
02-28-2003, 04:12 PM

Champ out...

Talking to himself? Remind you of anyone? Great points bc2k :)

Randar68
02-28-2003, 04:15 PM

LOL

Lip

*****! Jesus, drop it. It's the first game of ST. If Rauch does well, I won't be back here repeatedly puffing my chest about it...

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Talking to himself? Remind you of anyone? Great points bc2k :)

I remember during a ST game last year or two years ago (can't remember), there was this play-by-play/color commentator guy for a team the White Sox played and he was talking to himself like crazy...it was hillarious...

Champ out...

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 04:26 PM
Great googly moogly, now Farmer is just talking gooble gock now that the D-Backs are nearing 20 hits...

Champ out...

guillen4life13
02-28-2003, 04:41 PM
It's just the first day of spring training! It's not that important... they've only been playing for a couple of weeks. Don't worry, they'll do alright.

TimChamp
02-28-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
It's just the first day of spring training! It's not that important... they've only been playing for a couple of weeks. Don't worry, they'll do alright.

I'm actually excited about this upcoming season (of course), but this performance kind of has me down, I was hoping for a good start at least in their first ST game...but I'm not worrying at all, it just got my mood down, is all... :(:

Champ out...

hold2dibber
02-28-2003, 04:48 PM
Score?

A.T. Money
02-28-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Score?

14-5 Arizona. :whiner:

MRKARNO
02-28-2003, 05:00 PM
14-5

daubach is 2 for 2.
Top of the ninth-sox are away (TEP)

MRKARNO
02-28-2003, 05:07 PM
They lost, but hey look at the bright side...

Bonds hit the first pitch he saw from Mark Prior today! HAHAHAHA

Lip Man 1
02-28-2003, 05:12 PM
Tim says:

As far as I'm concerned, dumb baserunning is half the player and half the coach's fault

I was thinking the EXACT same thing while raking leaves (no snow here in Idaho!).

The NFL gives the Wonderlick test to try to measure overall intelligence to potential draft picks, I'm convinced that if they gave that type of test to the Sox players for the past five years, 80% would fail miserably.

Frankly I think the Sox simply have a bunch of dumb players and I don't use that term loosely. They simply don't seem to have a lot of smarts particularly of a baseball type. (How else do you explain Carlos "The Butcher" Lee trying to steal 3rd base three times with less then two out and the tying run at the plate, the past two seasons?)

Manager Gandhi probably does try to stress fundamentals but these guys simply don't get it. If that's true I can see why the Sox feel they have to try to outslug everybody to try to win.

Oh by the way Randar, the Rogers remark wasn't a slap at anybody but you have to admit some folks got bashed pretty good for "daring" to argue that the Sox starting staff is still to young and inexperienced (and that they are going to need
help...)

And let's face it, the expectations are higher this season, Sox fans aren't going to put up with 12-12 records with ERA's over 4.5 and call it "progress" any more. A lot is riding on the "can't miss kids" this season and they better perform or it's going to be a long season for them personally. I can assure you Sox fans will let them know about it.

Finally one point. Phil Rogers brought this up last season in a column. Every season but one (2000) a Manager Gandhi team played better AFTER they basically were out of contention. I bring that up because some folks like to talk about the progress the team made after August 1 last year.

That may not mean as much as you think. It's a lot easier to play when you are 13 1/2 games out, then two. The proof of the pitcher is "when" you perform. We'll see about this bunch.

Lip

Lip Man 1
02-28-2003, 05:16 PM
Mr. Karno says:

Ummm yes but the Cubs WON didn't they? They didn't get lit up for 14 runs did they?

Lip

Chisox_cali
02-28-2003, 05:23 PM
Mr. Karno says:

Ummm yes but the Cubs WON didn't they? They didn't get lit up for 14 runs did they?

Lip

Well the yankees lost 9-3 to the reds yesterday, their $$$$ man Jose Contreras gave up 5 ER's

pudge
02-28-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
*****! Jesus, drop it. It's the first game of ST. If Rauch does well, I won't be back here repeatedly puffing my chest about it...

I'm with you on this one Randar... that was a weak comment by Lip, and I'm the one who thinks Rauch will be a bust, but he looks a heck of a lot better than Wright or Glover after Day One.

pudge
02-28-2003, 05:42 PM
If I have to read "Champ Out" one more time, I'm going to take Champ out back and shoot him.

(Sorry, 14-5 puts me in a bad mood.)

gogosoxgogo
02-28-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by pudge
If I have to read "Champ Out" one more time, I'm going to take Champ out back and shoot him.

...so it wasn't just me.

Randar68
02-28-2003, 11:02 PM
Mr. Karno says:

Lip

And we all know W's and L's are the most important things in ST, especially early when the lower half of the 55 guys in camp are playing a lot...

fuzzy_patters
03-01-2003, 12:07 AM
My favorite part of the game was the humorous optimism of Ed Farmer during the eighth inning with one out. He said, "well, it will be a do or die ninth for the Sox as they trail by nine...SO FAR." That was hilarious. Boy how I've missed baseball.

TimChamp
03-01-2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by pudge

(Sorry, 14-5 puts me in a bad mood.)

ROFLMAO!!! Sorry guys, it's kinda like my sig. since I don't have one...I'm thinking of changing it though...not sure what, though???

What about these:

"Champ out getting drunk..."

"Champ out getting punched in the face..."

"Champ out watching the White Sox game..."

I think I'll settle for "Champ out..."

But I'll think about changing it by saying what I'm actually out doing :D:

Champ out to get some sleep...

voodoochile
03-01-2003, 09:35 AM
ROFLMAO!!! Sorry guys, it's kinda like my sig. since I don't have one...I'm thinking of changing it though...not sure what, though???

What about these:

"Champ out getting drunk..."

"Champ out getting punched in the face..."

"Champ out watching the White Sox game..."

I think I'll settle for "Champ out..."

But I'll think about changing it by saying what I'm actually out doing :D:

Champ out to get some sleep...

That's cool, but what about like in this thread when you weren't going anywhere?

Isn't that more of a "Champ through (with this thought)..." or "Champ done (with this post)..." or "Champ says 'I'll be back' (to post again later in this thread or another)..."?

Maybe you need more variety to express your many options... Like when I occasionally throw in a forth dot at the end of my sentences... like this.... (boy italics don't do much for a period do they?)

:)

Lip Man 1
03-01-2003, 12:33 PM
Randar 68 says:

And we all know W's and L's are the most important things in ST, especially early when the lower half of the 55 guys in camp are playing a lot...

Obviously you missed my point, perhaps I was to obtuse and I apologize.

The point was that I never understood the mentality of some Sox fans who think everything's great as long as the Cubs lose or get embarassed.

The fact is that Friday the Cubs won and the Sox looked like crap yet at least one fan wasn't bothered by that "small detail."

I don't understand why ANY Sox fan wastes any time on the Cubs at all. The hell with them. Spend that time on Sox issues.

Let the Cubs and their fans follow OUR lead.

Lip

TimChamp
03-01-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Maybe you need more variety to express your many options... Like when I occasionally throw in a forth dot at the end of my sentences... like this.... (boy italics don't do much for a period do they?)

:)

LOL!!! Yeah, I like to use those three dots instead of a period since I never feel like I'm ending a thought right. But then again, I think I just ended one of my thoughts right there...

Champ out to play some more Hitman 2 - Silent Assassin.... :cool:

TimChamp
03-01-2003, 01:53 PM
Randar 68 says:

The point was that I never understood the mentality of some Sox fans who think everything's great as long as the Cubs lose or get embarassed.

The fact is that Friday the Cubs won and the Sox looked like crap yet at least one fan wasn't bothered by that "small detail."

I don't understand why ANY Sox fan wastes any time on the Cubs at all. The hell with them. Spend that time on Sox issues.

Lip

Well, the only reason why I waste anytime with the sCrUBs at all is purely for comedic purposes or I simply want to waste time... :?:

Champ out still blowing people away with his Silver Ballers in Hitman 2 - Silent Assassin (great game by the way, in case you haven't played it)... :gulp:

Randar68
03-01-2003, 02:12 PM
Randar 68 says:

Lip

gotcha...