PDA

View Full Version : Thomas playing 1st today

duke of dorwood
02-28-2003, 03:06 PM
Per John Rooney. Whats the deal with this? Some showcasing maybe?

Hangar18
02-28-2003, 03:08 PM
I dont know, but Farmer is saying dont believe that Thomas will be there the whole season, because its Konerkos position to lose. Borchard in CF, Olivo Catching, Nunez at Short. who is that guy?

hold2dibber
02-28-2003, 03:08 PM
Frank is quoted in today's Trib as saying he wants to get plenty of work at 1B this spring because he doesn't want to have to sit out all the games played in NL parks. I'm sure he also would like to showcase his ability to play 1B for NL team should he become a FA at the end of the year. I actually think its a good idea.

SDSoxFan
02-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Yeah, Hurt wants to play in Wrigley, Chavez Ravine and in AZ against Unit and Schill. He should only play 1 game each series in my mind.

Hangar18
02-28-2003, 03:11 PM
HEY Welcome SDSoxFan!
we need more representation on the coasts

czalgosz
02-28-2003, 03:14 PM
Entire lineup -

1. Harris - 2B
2. Rios - LF
3. Thomas - 1B
4. Ordonez - RF
5. Borchard - CF
6. Crede - 3B
7. Olivo - C
8. Reyes - SS
9. Wright - P

Hangar18
02-28-2003, 03:49 PM
ok, Danny Wright lasts just 2 innings? this better not be what hes like this year

RKMeibalane
02-28-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Entire lineup -

1. Harris - 2B
2. Rios - LF
3. Thomas - 1B
4. Ordonez - RF
5. Borchard - CF
6. Crede - 3B
7. Olivo - C
8. Reyes - SS
9. Wright - P

This is Lineup #1. Let's see how much Manuel decides to change for tomorrow's game.

FanOf14
02-28-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
This is Lineup #1. Let's see how much Manuel decides to change for tomorrow's game.

Maybe it's just me, but I am hoping it's completely different since it will be the 2nd game of ST and I would like to see how the others are doing.

czalgosz
02-28-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
Maybe it's just me, but I am hoping it's completely different since it will be the 2nd game of ST and I would like to see how the others are doing.

agreed. Every lineup for ST should be different.

RKMeibalane
02-28-2003, 04:00 PM

I agree with you, actually. Everyone should play in Spring Training. I said that because I think it's funny that Manuel will be practicing his "tinkering" for the next month. It may give him some ideas.

FanOf14
02-28-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I agree with you, actually. Everyone should play in Spring Training. I said that because I think it's funny that Manuel will be practicing his "tinkering" for the next month. It may give him some ideas.

Thinking of it that way sends chills down my spine... :o:

pudge
02-28-2003, 04:08 PM
Thinking of it that way sends chills down my spine... :o:

Let the tinkering begin...

jeremyb1
02-28-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
ok, Danny Wright lasts just 2 innings? this better not be what hes like this year

i wouldn't expect him to be on a pitch count around 50 during the regular season.

FarmerAndy
02-28-2003, 04:58 PM
I think a few of you don't understand how spring training works. Danny Wright didn't pitch too well, but it's not a case of "he only lasted 2 innings". In spring training, especialy early on, pitchers only pitch for two innings. (Did you notice that Curt Schilling only lasted 2 innings too?) Everybody is going to play over the next month. Spring training is when you are supposed to tinker.

As far as Frank, he plays at 1B alot every spring. This is nothing new and has nothing to do with showcasing for NL teams.

You can't take the first few spring training games too seriously. Just kick back and enjoy the sound of baseball on the radio, despite the fact that it's the sound of us getting our butts kicked right now. :)

Dadawg_77
02-28-2003, 05:55 PM
Some of you are making a hole lot out of nothing. I just hope nobody gets hurt.

jeremyb1
03-01-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
I think a few of you don't understand how spring training works. Danny Wright didn't pitch too well, but it's not a case of "he only lasted 2 innings". In spring training, especialy early on, pitchers only pitch for two innings. (Did you notice that Curt Schilling only lasted 2 innings too?) Everybody is going to play over the next month. Spring training is when you are supposed to tinker.

As far as Frank, he plays at 1B alot every spring. This is nothing new and has nothing to do with showcasing for NL teams.

You can't take the first few spring training games too seriously. Just kick back and enjoy the sound of baseball on the radio, despite the fact that it's the sound of us getting our butts kicked right now. :)

exactly. i don't want to come across as condescending or too much of a jerk but what gives here? a lot of you act as though this is the first season you've ever been a conscious sox fan during the spring.

it was only last season that every sox fan on a message board was screaming to high heavens about we were going to set records based on how bad our pitching was in spring training. believe it or not despite our 7+ spring era we still finished in the middle of the pack in era in the al. can we please take a cue from that and refrain from putting any emphasis whatsoever on spring performances from here on out unless we're talking about guys fighting for jobs where performance actually has some impact?

it can get really frustrating if we start reading how we need to trade danny wright for jaret wright every day because jaret wright is having a better spring. you could look at statistics ever which way possible and there is no statistically significant correlation between spring stats and regular season stats. none. spring training is to become prepared for the season. some guys are prepared before spring training even starts and some are godawful until the last exhibition game of the spring. this is meaningless. it has no bearing on how players will perform when it counts.

voodoochile
03-01-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
exactly. i don't want to come across as condescending or too much of a jerk but what gives here? a lot of you act as though this is the first season you've ever been a conscious sox fan during the spring.

it was only last season that every sox fan on a message board was screaming to high heavens about we were going to set records based on how bad our pitching was in spring training. believe it or not despite our 7+ spring era we still finished in the middle of the pack in era in the al. can we please take a cue from that and refrain from putting any emphasis whatsoever on spring performances from here on out unless we're talking about guys fighting for jobs where performance actually has some impact?

it can get really frustrating if we start reading how we need to trade danny wright for jaret wright every day because jaret wright is having a better spring. you could look at statistics ever which way possible and there is no statistically significant correlation between spring stats and regular season stats. none. spring training is to become prepared for the season. some guys are prepared before spring training even starts and some are godawful until the last exhibition game of the spring. this is meaningless. it has no bearing on how players will perform when it counts.

Hey, that 7+ ERA in ST last year carried right over to the season. The turnaround didn't start until Parque and Rauch got sent down - but by then JM was in mid-season tinker form and the offense went into the tank.

While I agree that the first game of ST is WAY to early to jump of a roof (or even of the bandwagon), the fact is that ST stats do reflect on the regular season especially with young players who are still trying to prove themselves and don't spend half of ST working on a new pitch or situational hitting.

Writing off all of the bad stats during ST is putting your head in the sand and hoping for the best. If you are getting shelled by some kid destined for his first season in AA ball, you've got problems.

Still, like I said, it is way to early to even have this discussion...

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2003, 08:40 PM
Thomas wants to play more 1st so he looks more attractive on the free agent market.

jeremyb1
03-01-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Hey, that 7+ ERA in ST last year carried right over to the season. The turnaround didn't start until Parque and Rauch got sent down - but by then JM was in mid-season tinker form and the offense went into the tank.

While I agree that the first game of ST is WAY to early to jump of a roof (or even of the bandwagon), the fact is that ST stats do reflect on the regular season especially with young players who are still trying to prove themselves and don't spend half of ST working on a new pitch or situational hitting.

Writing off all of the bad stats during ST is putting your head in the sand and hoping for the best. If you are getting shelled by some kid destined for his first season in AA ball, you've got problems.

Still, like I said, it is way to early to even have this discussion...

i agree that rauch's stats are more important than buehrle's because rauch is fighting for a job but i still don't think rauch's stats are all that important when eyeing the regular season. some outstanding veteran pitchers struggle because they're working on new pitches or trying something out but others struggle because it takes them most of the spring to iron out their mechanics and work their way back into form. not every cy young calliber pitcher that struggles in the spring struggles only because he's not trying.

duke of dorwood
03-01-2003, 10:57 PM
I still think its showcasing-NL teams double the chances of trading him-and if things dont break well, trading him mid-season could be necessary.

voodoochile
03-02-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I still think its showcasing-NL teams double the chances of trading him-and if things dont break well, trading him mid-season could be necessary.

Don't forget, Frank can still veto any trade...

Jerry_Manuel
03-02-2003, 06:41 PM
Don't forget, Frank can still veto any trade...

Indeed. However, he can always opt out of his current deal after this season if he so chooses. I would not be surprised to see him end up in LA if he has a good season this year.

voodoochile
03-02-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Indeed. However, he can always opt out of his current deal after this season if he so chooses. I would not be surprised to see him end up in LA if he has a good season this year.

If he has a good year this year, I expect JR to invoke the team option. He doesn't like to let his superstars walk away when they are still productive and are fan favorites. I think Franks 1500 autographs at Soxfest prove just how loved the man still is.

Daver
03-02-2003, 09:09 PM
If he has a good year this year, I expect JR to invoke the team option. He doesn't like to let his superstars walk away when they are still productive and are fan favorites. I think Franks 1500 autographs at Soxfest prove just how loved the man still is.

Frank can decline the teams option at the end of this season outright,it is in his contract that he can walk at the end of the season regardless of the team's option.

If he has a great season I expect that he will.

Jerry_Manuel
03-02-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by daver
Frank can decline the teams option at the end of this season outright,it is in his contract that he can walk at the end of the season regardless of the team's option.

Doesn't he have to pay the Sox 2 million if he opts out?

Daver
03-02-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Doesn't he have to pay the Sox 2 million if he opts out?

I'm not positive that it is worded that way,I was lead to beleive he would have to forego two million of his incentives should he opt to go for FA.

voodoochile
03-02-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by daver

I think he would be a fool to do that and given the current state of the market and his age, I think he would be more likely to ask the Sox to pick up all of the remaining option years of his contract and settle the issue once and for all. I truly believe he wants to retire as a White Sox player and if he can have a monster year and keep the disruptions to a minimum, maybe he can even generate some more advertising chances right here in the city.

Just have to get more fans to show the big man some love. Drown out those boos with cheers. There are still more of the fans who cheer, but the booers are more vocal at present.

I know it's a novel idea - standing up and cheering for Frank...

:)