PDA

View Full Version : This morning, on the Wscr Cub Morning Show w/ Murph

Hangar18
02-28-2003, 12:05 PM
Turning on the Radio, Murph is in a lively discussion regarding who should be the Leadoff man for the cubs this season. He wavered on the merits of Patterson and Million Dollar Hill. After debating and voicing his opinion, then Commercials
Returning, Murph talks about the olden days, when the cubs werent really good (when were they ever good?). he talks about the worst teams, of the 50's and 60's and mentions those were some bad cub teams. he reminisces about the announcers of cub games back then, then plays some audio clips of music and commercials for the cubs back then. then some commercials.
Coming back, he plays a song written by Steve Goodman from the 70's, that poked good humored fun at the cubs, but basically a cub song. Murph laughs, and says the songs really good, etc etc. takes a call from a fan saying the songs is good but there were some bad sox teams too (70team) more commercials
Reads a column about the bears, then rips the bears for a while.
More Commercials.
Comes back and talks bulls, and takes some calls about the bulls.
Then it was tool time. I couldnt take anymore after that and turned it off after Calling and Voting for Ron Santo as tool of Week

I dont think Murphy Gets it.

soxruleEP
02-28-2003, 12:55 PM
While we might expect this over on 720, it is unfortunate it takes places on a station that purports to be for all Chicago.

The sad thing is, the Cubs don't get short shrift on 1000, the home of the Sox.

And where was Fred while this SCrubbie circle-jerk went on?

Hangar18
02-28-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by soxruleEP
While we might expect this over on 720, it is unfortunate it takes places on a station that purports to be for all Chicago.

Fred was in the background, happily letting Murph take the show over as his own personal cub propoganda campaign. I really dont know why hes even on the show personally. THe shows "schtick" is that one Guy is the Cub Fan, the other Guy is the Sox Fan, and it was supposed to make for Wacky Fun Radio.
After all is said and done, its obvious they Market it that way so that people wont complain about Murph always talking/complaining/chastising/complimenting everything Cub. It is really really shameful how he quietly slips things in Cub Related. There is not a 10 minute stretch that goes by without some reference by Him to something Cub Related. The other guy, dont know what his deal there is.

duke of dorwood
02-28-2003, 01:02 PM
I dont think the listening public gets it. I just dont turn it on. You just elequently described why. Thanks again .

upnorthsox
02-28-2003, 01:14 PM
Sadly though they're the only ones who talk baseball from October to spring training.

gosox41
02-28-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by soxruleEP

Paying a visit to the Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man???

Mammoo
02-28-2003, 01:58 PM
...assert your-White Sox-self!

For a guy with a short fuse, you sure let Cubbie Murph have his way with the Little Blue Machine babble. You looked like you were trying to stir the ****pot during the Santo discussion the other day. Murph must have taken you to the woodshed after that show because you have been strangely mute!

http://images.radcity.net/5208/28614.jpg
C'mon Fred, Act Like Ya Got A Pair!

Hangar18
02-28-2003, 02:13 PM
wha-whats going on here? I was just washing Murphs Car...Did I miss anything?

Mammoo
02-28-2003, 02:15 PM
...I thought Jerry Colonna was dead!

http://www.angelfire.com/stars3/j_colonna/jcport2.JPG http://images.radcity.net/5208/310541.jpg

34 Inch Stick
02-28-2003, 04:12 PM
Doesn't it creep you out to see pictures of the people who are on the radio. It makes it obvious why they are not on television. The problem is Murph's voice sounds creepy also. It sounds like he's constantly talking through a layer of phglem.

gosox41
02-28-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Doesn't it creep you out to see pictures of the people who are on the radio. It makes it obvious why they are not on television. The problem is Murph's voice sounds creepy also. It sounds like he's constantly talking through a layer of phglem.

I agree with you about Murph's voice soundling like it does. Fred looks like the fot boy who used to get beat up on the playground all the time when we were kids.

Bob

Hangar18
02-28-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I agree with you about Murph's voice soundling like it does. Fred looks like the fot boy who used to get beat up on the playground all the time when we were kids.

Bob

Yeah, I always used to beat up Huebner for talking smack about
my cubbies...

A.T. Money
02-28-2003, 06:06 PM
LMAO @ Fred being the fat kid getting beat up on the playground.

Murph's voice is bad for radio. He's got a horrible lisp.

TornLabrum
02-28-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
...I thought Jerry Colonna was dead!

http://www.angelfire.com/stars3/j_colonna/jcport2.JPG http://images.radcity.net/5208/310541.jpg

I always thought Murph sounded like he was breathing helium.

WhiteSoxWinner
03-01-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by upnorthsox
Sadly though they're the only ones who talk baseball from October to spring training.

Nah, ESPN does the Hot Stove League on Saturday's. That is some pretty good baseball talk.

hose
03-01-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Turning on the Radio, Murph is in a lively discussion regarding who should be the Leadoff man for the cubs this season. He wavered on the merits of Patterson and Million Dollar Hill. After debating and voicing his opinion, then Commercials
Returning, Murph talks about the olden days, when the cubs werent really good (when were they ever good?). he talks about the worst teams, of the 50's and 60's and mentions those were some bad cub teams. he reminisces about the announcers of cub games back then, then plays some audio clips of music and commercials for the cubs back then. then some commercials.
Coming back, he plays a song written by Steve Goodman from the 70's, that poked good humored fun at the cubs, but basically a cub song. Murph laughs, and says the songs really good, etc etc. takes a call from a fan saying the songs is good but there were some bad sox teams too (70team) more commercials
Reads a column about the bears, then rips the bears for a while.
More Commercials.
Comes back and talks bulls, and takes some calls about the bulls.
Then it was tool time. I couldnt take anymore after that and turned it off after Calling and Voting for Ron Santo as tool of Week

I dont think Murphy Gets it.

Monday morning I got out of bed and went down to my basement turned on the radio to Am1000 and started pedaling my Schwinn Aerodyne bicycle.

After about 5 minutes of commericials the preview of the Mike and Mike show starts running. Mike Golic who never even talks about the White Sox starts ragging on Frank Thomas, mentioning his press conference at the first day of spring training.

My speed picks up as I try to ignore Golic, the heart rate monitor I am wearing is now in it's highest range. After Golic gets done ranting, Jay Marriotti
is announced as coming up past the break to talk about the Big Hurt. BEEP, BEEP, BEEP,BEEP the monitor is now past the desired range that I try and keep it at for maximum efficiency.
Instead of pulling a Kenny Williams and pushing the exercise bike to its limits I stopped, got off the bike and walked over to the radio and turned it off. This was the first time I have ever stopped my exercise bike during my workout.

Since Monday morning I made the switch to music(WXRT)
while in the car and obviously on the exercise bike.

In the future I plan on being more selective to any sports talk radio I do listen to. Swieka's show on the weekends and Talking Baseball with John Rooney/Bruce Levine are about it.

Hangar18
03-01-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by hose
Monday morning I got out of bed and went down to my basement turned on the radio to Am1000 and started pedaling my Schwinn Aerodyne bicycle.

After about 5 minutes of commericials the preview of the Mike and Mike show starts running. Mike Golic who never even talks about the White Sox starts ragging on Frank Thomas, mentioning his press conference at the first day of spring training.

My speed picks up as I try to ignore Golic, the heart rate monitor I am wearing is now in it's highest range. After Golic gets done ranting, Jay Marriotti
is announced as coming up past the break to talk about the Big Hurt. BEEP, BEEP, BEEP,BEEP the monitor is now past the desired range that I try and keep it at for maximum efficiency.
Instead of pulling a Kenny Williams and pushing the exercise bike to its limits I stopped, got off the bike and walked over to the radio and turned it off. This was the first time I have ever stopped my exercise bike during my workout.

Since Monday morning I made the switch to music(WXRT)
while in the car and obviously on the exercise bike.

In the future I plan on being more selective to any sports talk radio I do listen to. Swieka's show on the weekends and Talking Baseball with John Rooney/Bruce Levine are about it.

thats pretty funny. one thing your not going to like come Opening Day Hose....WXRT does their entire Opening Day show live from Wrigley somewhere. That pig terri hemmert and that buffoon morning guy will gush over the Cubs, and crack jokes, and say that baseball in chicago has arrived

hose
03-02-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
thats pretty funny. one thing your not going to like come Opening Day Hose....WXRT does their entire Opening Day show live from Wrigley somewhere. That pig terri hemmert and that buffoon morning guy will gush over the Cubs, and crack jokes, and say that baseball in chicago has arrived

Might be a good time to get in touch with my alternative culture side and check out some Eastern European rap music