PDA

View Full Version : Everything You Need to Know About Spring Training

kermittheefrog
02-27-2003, 09:28 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/20030227balls.shtml

fuzzy_patters
02-27-2003, 10:02 PM
At first, I thought the article was going to be about every teams spring trainin, but the hitting coach mentioned playing like the Angels played last year. Clearly, this article is about every team other than the Angels. So, the question is what will the Angels spring be like this year?

Huisj
02-27-2003, 10:51 PM
that's a pretty stinking hilarious article.

jeremyb1
02-27-2003, 11:36 PM
that was funny. good article.

the one thing i don't completely agree with is the constant bashing of bunting and moving runners over. i agree that in most circumstances, statistically you're better off not sacrificing the runner over one base but i think there are many more exceptions to that rule than some would let on.

first of all if you're in a one run game in the 8th or 9th inning and all you need is one run, you have a runner on second and no outs, it would seem that if you have a good bunter up and a fly ball hitter in the hole a much safer approach would be to move the runner over and simply get the fly ball. some of the problem there may lie in the fact that hitters often seem to fail to hit a fly ball when necessary but if you have a hitter that can execute most of the time, you'd have to be better off going for the sacrifice.

additionally, if you have a hitter like rey ordonez on your team its certainly going to make sense for him to bunt at times. the same could be said for jose when batting against lefties or a hitter who's in a huge slump yet can move the runner over pretty well.

Iwritecode
02-28-2003, 09:28 AM
"We had our fights," the manager said. "It's too bad they were physical, yeah, and sure, I wish one of them hadn't been in front of those Cub Scouts, but that's part of life.

OK, are they talking about the little kids that wear those uniforms and go on hunting and camping trips or are they talking about the guys that get paid by the Chicago Cubs to go around and watch other teams play???

:)

kermittheefrog
02-28-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
additionally, if you have a hitter like rey ordonez on your team its certainly going to make sense for him to bunt at times. the same could be said for jose when batting against lefties or a hitter who's in a huge slump yet can move the runner over pretty well.

Jose really shouldn't be in the lineup against lefties and Rey Ordonez should NEVER be in the lineup.

As for Cub scouts. I'm 99% sure he's talking about the little kids.