PDA

View Full Version : Obscure Internet Book on White Sox

CiscoCarlos
02-27-2003, 09:37 PM
http://209.11.144.65/eldritchpress/rl/unomeal.htm

O.K., I concede this won't have wide appeal, but if any of you old-time White Sox philes ever have a few hours, you might want to check out the above, which is the site for an old Ring Lardner book on the 1914 White Sox.

Called "You Know Me, Al," it's a reprint of a novel focusing on a rube from Terra Haute, Indiana who joins the White Sox, chronicling his various setbacks in spring training and the regular season playing on a team featuring Ed Walsh, Bing Podie, Eddie Collins and others.

It's old but has a lot of funny one-liners and very telling portraits of Comiskey (portrayed as cheap), Kid Gleason and the key Sox players of that era.

I read elsewhere it was based on a real Sox rookie pitcher named Butcher Boy Joe Benz, who was a brash, self-deluded fool with an eye for the blondes in the stands.

Lardner wrote it while covering the White Sox for a Chicago newspaper that year and it instantly became his first best seller.

Nellie_Fox
02-27-2003, 10:18 PM
I'm so old, my grammar school library had a copy of the book and I read it when I was a kid. It's a lot of fun.

Iwritecode
02-28-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
I'm so old, my grammar school library had a copy of the book and I read it when I was a kid. It's a lot of fun.

WOW! Was that back when everyone had to walk to school, barefoot, through 7 feet of snow, uphill (both ways) carring their brother on their back???

:)

fogie
02-28-2003, 04:49 PM
Had this book when I was a kid, Often wondered what happen to it, as I never did not get it read. sure brings back a lot of memories, good post

:crede

Nellie_Fox
02-28-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
WOW! Was that back when everyone had to walk to school, barefoot, through 7 feet of snow, uphill (both ways) carring their brother on their back??? Yes, but in my case it was always several siblings on my back.

jortafan
02-28-2003, 06:06 PM
It's time for me to nit pick, but I would hardly call this book obscure.

It's generally regarded as one of the best pieces of sports-related fiction ever written. And it's about our Sox. What more could you want?

Plus, the book's still in print. Check out any bookstore.

Hangar18
03-01-2003, 12:30 PM
wow....cool book. good post

hempsox
03-01-2003, 11:41 PM
I have that book from college...I had one course that drove me batty...baseball lit...during the spring semester no less. Enjoyed the books...crappy grades due to the fact that you had to watch a game if you read a portion of the book.