PDA

View Full Version : sox are one of sports weekly's teams to suprise

jeremyb1
02-27-2003, 06:25 PM
i don't believe the article is available online but sports weekly has an article looking for the next angels team that could take everyone by suprise and go far in '03. the sox are one of the three teams listed along with the expos and the mets. in some ways i guess its a compliment but in other ways i kindof take it as an insult that it would be a suprise for us to go far this season.

sports weekly again takes this opportunity to bash our rotation depth. our necessity to be a suprise team is "filling the rest of the rest of the rotation, because the twins carry a huge advantage with the depth of their starting pitching. colon and mark buehrle aren't nearly enough to match teh twins' rotation depth. the reality could be that the white sox will have to trade for another top level pitcher." they then go on to again to suggest that daubhach might allow us to trade lee to upgrade our rotation.

my thought is that if we were to trade for another top level pitcher we'd then have three pitchers better than anyone on the twins staff and while that'd be nice i don't feel we need three twenty game winners to knock off the mighty twins. two and a 23 and 25 year old that combined for 26 wins last season should be sufficient.

the newest sports weekly also features a really good article on frank which portrays him in a rather positive light with the exception of the fact that he again describes being the 4th highest paid player on his team as a slap in the face. the article portrays frank as regretting many of his comments in his press conference saying "i may be pissed off, but there's no bitterness in my heart" and "i'm tired of ruffling feathers." the article suggests frank made the comments he did due to the fact that he'd built up a lot of frustration over the last five months in which he hadn't spoken with the press.

jortafan
02-27-2003, 07:30 PM
It's not an insult, it's just fact.

The Yankees, Red Sox, Athletics and Mariners are the elite of the American League (although I think Seattle is on its way down and out). If any team outside of them manages to win the pennant, it will be a surprise.

Whether we want to acknowledge it, our Sox are not yet in that elite category. But then again, neither are the Twins. I think that fact bugs their fans more than anything else.

Lip Man 1
02-27-2003, 09:36 PM
For what it's worth, the MLB radio site has archived their break down of the AL Central. It runs about 45 minutes.

Their people feel that the Twins starting pitching and bullpen are overall deeper and better then the Sox. They mentioned that Garland and Wright are nice and should be better but the Twins can counter those two with guys like Joe Mays and Rick Reed at #3 and #4.They also feel the Twins defense and lineup overall is better.

However they pick the Sox to win the division by three to five games because as their stat expert put it, the top of the line players for the Sox are better then the Twins is. He was specifically referring to Buehrle, Colon and Ordonez. he feels that will be the difference.

Lip

jeremyb1
02-28-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
For what it's worth, the MLB radio site has archived their break down of the AL Central. It runs about 45 minutes.

Their people feel that the Twins starting pitching and bullpen are overall deeper and better then the Sox. They mentioned that Garland and Wright are nice and should be better but the Twins can counter those two with guys like Joe Mays and Rick Reed at #3 and #4.They also feel the Twins defense and lineup overall is better.

However they pick the Sox to win the division by three to five games because as their stat expert put it, the top of the line players for the Sox are better then the Twins is. He was specifically referring to Buehrle, Colon and Ordonez. he feels that will be the difference.

yeah i listened to most of that. it was pretty interesting. i think that's a key point that our best players are far better than the twins best players. no player on the twins won over 15 games, hit over 30 homeruns, or drove in over 100 runs last season. only two twins players drove in 75 runs last season, only two hit 20 home runs, and only three starters won 10 games. the sox by comparison had two players drive in 100 runs, one hit over 30 home runs, and 2 win over 15 games. the sox also had five players drive in 75 runs, five hit over 20 home runs, and 4 starters win at least 10 games.

jeremyb1
02-28-2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by jortafan
It's not an insult, it's just fact.

The Yankees, Red Sox, Athletics and Mariners are the elite of the American League (although I think Seattle is on its way down and out). If any team outside of them manages to win the pennant, it will be a surprise.

Whether we want to acknowledge it, our Sox are not yet in that elite category. But then again, neither are the Twins. I think that fact bugs their fans more than anything else.

i agree with you (although not about the mariners) but the way the article was written suggested it would in some ways be a suprise if the sox made the playoffs, which is what i found offensive. i don't disagree that it would be a suprise if we were to win the pennant.

Iwritecode
02-28-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i agree with you (although not about the mariners) but the way the article was written suggested it would in some ways be a suprise if the sox made the playoffs, which is what i found offensive. i don't disagree that it would be a suprise if we were to win the pennant.

I agree with jortafan also.

As far as being a surprise to make the playoffs, you really have to look at it from an outsider's perspective.

In 2001 the Sox were expected to contend but the pitching staff was riddled with injuries and Thomas and Wells both went down early. The Twins put up a good fight and almost took the division that year.

In 2002 Todd Ritchie and Kenny Lofton were supposed to put the team over the top but after a fast start, Wells went down and the team faded away. The Twins come out of almost nowhere and with amazing good luck, take the division.

This year the Twins are the defending divison champs and the Sox are coming in almost the exact same way they did in 2002: Off a mediocre season with high hopes, a couple of new additions, and more than a few question marks. The only change the Twins made was the loss of David Ortiz. Besides Sox fans, a lot of people are still picking the Twins to win the divsion. The Sox will have to overtake them to make the playoffs. The wild-card team won't be coming from the AL central.

Juan Pizarro
02-28-2003, 10:30 AM
jeremy, we love ya, but it's "surprise," with two "r's."
A lot of truth all around, but, iwritecode, we need to move Wells to 2001 andsub Ritchie into 2002. I'd like to forget him, too.

Iwritecode
02-28-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Juan Pizarro
jeremy, we love ya, but it's "surprise," with two "r's."
A lot of truth all around, but, iwritecode, we need to move Wells to 2001 andsub Ritchie into 2002. I'd like to forget him, too.

Oops...

Thank FWC for the edit button!

jeremyb1
02-28-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I agree with jortafan also.

As far as being a surprise to make the playoffs, you really have to look at it from an outsider's perspective.

In 2001 the Sox were expected to contend but the pitching staff was riddled with injuries and Thomas and Wells both went down early. The Twins put up a good fight and almost took the division that year.

In 2002 Todd Ritchie and Kenny Lofton were supposed to put the team over the top but after a fast start, Wells went down and the team faded away. The Twins come out of almost nowhere and with amazing good luck, take the division.

This year the Twins are the defending divison champs and the Sox are coming in almost the exact same way they did in 2002: Off a mediocre season with high hopes, a couple of new additions, and more than a few question marks. The only change the Twins made was the loss of David Ortiz. Besides Sox fans, a lot of people are still picking the Twins to win the divsion. The Sox will have to overtake them to make the playoffs. The wild-card team won't be coming from the AL central.

i'm not saying we should be considered favorites over the twins or even co-favorites. i understand how that works. however, i dispute the notion that the twins were a team that was actually 13.5 games ahead of us last season and most agree we're the most improved team in the al. that should at least make us legit wild card contenders.

i agree that it would be a suprise if we make the playoffs in the sense that we're not expected to make the playoffs right now but i think at worst you have to consider us to be the team with the 6th best chance of making the playoffs in the al behind the four teams that made the playoffs last season and boston.

part of what bothers me is that the other two teams listed in the article are the expos and mets who certainly don't have as good a chance of making the playoffs as we do. offhand, i'd say that the braves, phillies, dodgers, diamondbacks, giants, cardinals, and astros all have a better chance of making the playoffs than those two teams. that's make them at best the 8th and 9th best teams in the nl.

another example here is a team that didn't merrit inclusion, the phillies. the phillies had a worse record than we did last season although their competition fell off and they improved their team more than we did. while they had two major acquisitions to our one, i'd argue we had more talent in place to begin with than they did. i don't know if its a reflection of the twins and braves or the phillies and us but it doesn't seem quite accurate for the phillies to be considered a top nl team and us a possible suprise team to make the playoffs.

upnorthsox
02-28-2003, 11:53 AM
another example here is a team that didn't merrit inclusion, the phillies. the phillies had a worse record than we did last season although their competition fell off and they improved their team more than we did. while they had two major acquisitions to our one, i'd argue we had more talent in place to begin with than they did. i don't know if its a reflection of the twins and braves or the phillies and us but it doesn't seem quite accurate for the phillies to be considered a top nl team and us a possible suprise team to make the playoffs.

The Phillies were 80-81 last yr, we were 81-81 FWIW. The AL Central gets no respect thus the reasoning that anyone except the favorite is a surprise team, but say you heard it here first, 2 team will make it from the AL Central this yr. Book It!!!!!!

jeremyb1
02-28-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by upnorthsox
The Phillies were 80-81 last yr, we were 81-81 FWIW. The AL Central gets no respect thus the reasoning that anyone except the favorite is a surprise team, but say you heard it here first, 2 team will make it from the AL Central this yr. Book It!!!!!!

you could make a very strong argument that the odds are stacked in favor of the wildcard coming from the al central. the last couple years its come from the west which is suprising because that's the toughest division. with the unbalanced schedule even if the second best team in the west or east is better than us we'll have an easier schedule which gives us a huge leg up.

doublem23
02-28-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by upnorthsox

I highly doubt that.

Hangar18
03-01-2003, 12:45 PM
Im glad the Twins got Greedy and thought they could use a tip from Bud Selig and try to fold themselves, thus not using any of their Money to draft Mark Prior. He wouldve turned that staff around. What a stupid move that was. Thats going to hurt them for years

ewokpelts
03-01-2003, 05:14 PM
Hey all,

While some may take insult to Baseball/Sports Weekly listing the Sox as a possible " suprise" team for '03, I dont. I've been reading Baseball Weekly since 2000, and they have done nothing but be objective with thier coverage of the Sox(unlike the Cubune or Espn). Even when the Sox won 95 games in 2000, Espn and the Scrubune were still talkin' smack about the Sox(It dosent help that they got swept a week later in the Alds).

Moral of the story? Sports Weekly is better at baseball than Espn and the Cubune.

Gene

TheBigHurt
03-02-2003, 12:31 AM
also in this weeks baseball weekly is a article on TheBigHurt