PDA

View Full Version : the Indians' Chances Per Jeff Pearlman of SI

FanOf14
02-27-2003, 09:11 AM
Do the Indians have a chance to compete for the AL Central title this year if the Twins and White Sox stumble? Who will be playing third base for Cleveland this season?
--Jesse Blasier, Shaker Heights

Good news, Jesse! If ...

God renders the Twins and White Sox players legally blind

The Yankees trade Jason Giambi, Derek Jeter, Alfonso Soriano, Mariano Rivera and Bernie Williams to Cleveland for Mark Wohlers

Catcher Josh Bard possesses all of Clark Kent's secret powers

Rookie manager Eric Wedge is smarter than Einstein

... then the Indians will win 75-80 games.

Your team has no shot. But at least Jason Bere's in town.

P.S.: Ricky Gutierrez is your third baseman. Godspeed.

Jeff's Mailbag (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=californiadream&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns)

Just thought we could all use a little laugh...

thecell
02-27-2003, 10:06 AM
That's awesome. I think you can use that as a template to rate the chances of winning for the other Chicago team.

Hullett_Fan
02-27-2003, 10:33 AM
I've never seen that guy's article before. Funny stuff....unfortunately he picks the Flubs to get the wild card, but other than that he's on the money.

Man I'd hate to be an Indians fan this year :D:

czalgosz
02-27-2003, 12:10 PM
I could see the Cubs getting the Wild Card if everyone plays to their potential. If Alou plays the way he can, if Choi and Hill and Patterson live up to the hype, and if Prior and Wood stay healthy all year, they have enough games against the Pirates and Brewers to make it interesting.

doublem23
02-27-2003, 12:13 PM
Ha ha... It's so nice to see the Indians fall flat on their faces... Those drum-beating goofy Lake Erie folk sure did get annoying after seven division titles or so.

moochpuppy
02-27-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
I could see the Cubs getting the Wild Card if everyone plays to their potential. If Alou plays the way he can, if Choi and Hill and Patterson live up to the hype, and if Prior and Wood stay healthy all year, they have enough games against the Pirates and Brewers to make it interesting.

That's alot of IF's cz but I agree with you. Everything would have to fall into place. The talent is there but if I were a betting man I wouldn't pick them any higher than 3rd.

Hullett_Fan
02-27-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
That's alot of IF's cz but I agree with you. Everything would have to fall into place. The talent is there but if I were a betting man I wouldn't pick them any higher than 3rd.

Ditto that.

But look out in 2004/2005. The staff will still be strong, Hill and Choi will have a year or two under their belts and they'll have signed guys to take the place of the awful Gonzalez and Patterson.

Man I hope the Sox take it all this year so that if the Flubs do win it will be after us :D:

moochpuppy
02-27-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan

But look out in 2004/2005. The staff will still be strong, Hill and Choi will have a year or two under their belts and they'll have signed guys to take the place of the awful Gonzalez and Patterson.

Look for them to make a push for Tejada next season. If they were smart ( :D: ) they would part ways with Sosa after this season and then go after Vlad.

Could you imagine if the Cubs did win before the Sox. We would never hear the end of it. :gulp:

Hullett_Fan
02-27-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Look for them to make a push for Tejada next season. If they were smart ( :D: ) they would part ways with Sosa after this season and then go after Vlad.

Could you imagine if the Cubs did win before the Sox. We would never hear the end of it. :gulp:

Yeah, I was thinking that there are in a good position to grab Tejada as well (especially since King George already has a SS :D: )

IMO, there is no doubt that both Chicago teams have the best opportunity they've had in years (since the 1900's) to put together a string of seasons that result in postseason appearances. Heck, we might very well see them both in at the same time (this city and country would go nuts).

PLEASE SOX...WIN IT ALL THIS YEAR!!!

Juan Pizarro
02-27-2003, 01:40 PM
Pearlman's an ass. He's always been anti-Sox. This is from his most recent mailbag:

What's your take on how the Minnesota Twins will do this year? I don't think they are a fluke because it's a 162-game season and you have to have some talent to win 100 games, as they did last season. Do you think Minnesota has the best chance to win the AL Central again? --C.J., Edina, Minn.

C.J., while the Twins don't quite have 100-win talent, there's a good chance they'll reach the magic number. Here's why:

Kansas City
Detroit
Cleveland
Chicago (White Sox)

The Twins are a very good team in a very bad division. Even with the addition of Bartolo Colon, the White Sox -- a trendy pick to overtake Minnesota -- still have two open rotation slots, Frank (The Big Easy) Thomas and a second baseman named D'Angelo Jimenez (Writer's Note: In San Diego Padres history, there has likely never been a player more loathed by his teammates than Jimenez. Good skills, no effort).

Minnesota, meanwhile, features four guys (Brad Radke, Eric Milton, Joe Mays and Rick Reed) who are each capable of winning 15 games as well as a slew of good, if not great, young players. And the Twins are loads of fun.

Stoky44
02-27-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

CUBS SUCK!! They may have Wood, but we have a bigger Koch. lol I am going to make that sign for the Cubs and Sox series.

34rancher
02-27-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Stoky44
CUBS SUCK!! They may have Wood, but we have a bigger Koch. lol I am going to make that sign for the Cubs and Sox series.
Heck with that, make t-shirts and make a profit.