PDA

View Full Version : Guess who Murph is mad at?

Viva Magglio
02-27-2003, 07:25 AM
Apparenlty, Mike Murphy is a tad miffed at White Sox fans who are, well, having fun at Ron Santo's expense. I do believe Murph has a legitimate point; taking delight in Santo not making the Hall of Fame is low. I should also point out that Murph is mad and both Sox and Cub fans for making the Santo issue become Sox vs. Cubs trash talking.

Let's say the end of the 2003 season ends with Mágglio Ordóńez a serious MVP candidate. Alas, the MVP award goes to Derek Jeter instead. Even though Ordóńez puts up arguably better numbers than Jeter, the East Coast bias among the BWAAA voters carries Jeter to victory. How do you think we would react if Cub fans lit up the Score's phone lines having fun at Ordóńez's expense?

Of course, I think Murph should direct some of his anger at Terry Boers and Dan Bernstein. All throughout their show, they were having fun at Santo's expense. Boers & Bernstein must have merrily played the cut of Santo receiving the bad news at least 15 times. Bernsie did argue that Santo should have been elected, but he was his usualy giggily self over this.

duke of dorwood
02-27-2003, 07:56 AM
Thanks Viva-I am proud I never turn on 670. Recurring incidents such as these 2 at least credit me with 1 correct decision in my life. It was Bernstein that started my purging myself of that station. As tolerant as I am, I cant believe real sports fans continue to tune in to the dribble and condiscending broadcasting on that frequency. Take it from me, I dont miss it and dont miss anything that happens in sports by avoiding that station. I remember Murphy whining over and over about the Flubs not retiring #10. I can imagine it today.

gosox41
02-27-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Apparenlty, Mike Murphy is a tad miffed at White Sox fans who are, well, having fun at Ron Santo's expense. I do believe Murph has a legitimate point; taking delight in Santo not making the Hall of Fame is low. I should also point out that Murph is mad and both Sox and Cub fans for making the Santo issue become Sox vs. Cubs trash talking.

Let's say the end of the 2003 season ends with Mágglio Ordóńez a serious MVP candidate. Alas, the MVP award goes to Derek Jeter instead. Even though Ordóńez puts up arguably better numbers than Jeter, the East Coast bias among the BWAAA voters carries Jeter to victory. How do you think we would react if Cub fans lit up the Score's phone lines having fun at Ordóńez's expense?

Of course, I think Murph should direct some of his anger at Terry Boers and Dan Bernstein. All throughout their show, they were having fun at Santo's expense. Boers & Bernstein must have merrily played the cut of Santo receiving the bad news at least 15 times. Bernsie did argue that Santo should have been elected, but he was his usualy giggily self over this.

I could honestly say I could care less about Santo making the HOF or not. From what little I listen to Murph's show (and what I read here) it seems that Murph may have brought some of this on himself for all his pro-Cub/anti-Sox talk. Of course listeners are going to want to make him eat crow just because it gets a rise out of him.

I think it's wrong to make fun of Santo as a person for not getting into the Hall, as well as it's wrong to mock him for what's happened to him personally the last couple of years. However, I do get some satisfaction from seeing the "Lovable Losers" get shafted and seeing their fans get riled up. This is purely a Cub vs. Sox issue and has nothing to do with Santo (would things be different on WSCR right now if Minoso was the one receiving the hype and not getting in while Santo assumed Minoso's second seat role?)

I enjoy seeing the Cubs and their fans get riled up. I didn't want to see Sammy hit his 50th last season (and 500th of his career) and I was rooting against him. Then again I never want to see anything too positive happen to the Cubs.

Bob

irish rover
02-27-2003, 08:27 AM
I think Santo brought some of it on himself with his self promotion. I think he should have gotten in. I feel sad, or embarrassed for him

harwar
02-27-2003, 09:02 AM
I liked watching Santo play back in the 60s'-70s'.I don't know about him getting in the HOF,but he sure is hard to listen to as a color guy.I listen to any baseball game that i can get but Santo makes it difficult.I guess his mind is gone because most of the game passes him by like a train going downhill.As for the score.They are a total joke,especially beavis & butthead on from 10am-2pm.A city the size of Chicago should have a serious sports-talk radio station.

Hangar18
02-27-2003, 09:09 AM
Good Point VivaMagg. Mike Murph Needs to Look in the Mirror. Everything that happened Yesterday were the Seeds He Sowed. Hes an idiot (seriously, hes got to be really dumb not to think sox fans Wouldnt be angry with all the cubfluff the last few days) for thinking Some Sox Fan is a "jerk" for taking exception To Minnie Minoso being Barely Mentioned yesterday as being on the ballot also. I hope they learned something from all of this. This is just another reason why Im glad im a Sox Fan.....For the way Sox Fans stood up to this nonsense. I like how he tries to distance himself from "bad radio" when he was the problem in the 1st pl.

FanOf14
02-27-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I think it's wrong to make fun of Santo as a person for not getting into the Hall, as well as it's wrong to mock him for what's happened to him personally the last couple of years. However, I do get some satisfaction from seeing the "Lovable Losers" get shafted and seeing their fans get riled up.
Bob

I haven't seen anyone make fun of Santo, just all of the over-hype surrounding his bid to get into the hall.

Hullett_Fan
02-27-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by harwar
...he sure is hard to listen to as a color guy. I listen to any baseball game that i can get but Santo makes it difficult.I guess his mind is gone because most of the game passes him by like a train going downhill.

I've been forced to listen to Hughes and Santo by some of my Cub fan buddies. That has to be the WORST broadcast team in sports. It's like listening to Grandpa Simpson and friend talking on the front porch of the retirement home. Not to mention Santo's voice is particularly hard on the ears.

That being said...he seems like a nice, good-hearted guy and I wish him all the best with his health. He unfortunately didn't have the stats to make the HOF. Now his career was cut short by diabetes which brings up another debate. IMO, he still shouldn't get in and neither should Kirby Puckett.

Hangar18
02-27-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
I've been forced to listen to Hughes and Santo by some of my Cub fan buddies. That has to be the WORST broadcast team in sports. It's like listening to Grandpa Simpson and friend talking on the front porch of the retirement home. Not to mention Santo's voice is particularly hard on the ears.

That being said...he seems like a nice, good-hearted guy and I wish him all the best with his health. He unfortunately didn't have the stats to make the HOF. Now his career was cut short by diabetes which brings up another debate. IMO, he still shouldn't get in and neither should Kirby Puckett.

those 2 together are the worst. Absolutely the worst. Next worst are the radio guys for the Indians. theyre the opposite. its like two Hyperactive Chip Carays in the booth, the way they yell and scream OVER each other. but Santo, sounds like a nice guy, wish him well, but his broadcasting abilities are Terrible. I hope he stays in the booth there for a long time, so I can make fun of him. Hughes? between his long rants reading emails from fans or naming people from distant cities (Elizabeth Piazowskiwich from Keokuk Iowa is here pulling for the cubbies!) to him trying to have a rambling, no particular subject conversation with the marble-mouthed Santo.......he is pretty Terrible too.

DrCrawdad
02-27-2003, 01:07 PM
When someone calls Murphy's show and they make fun of the Cubs, Murphy is quick to interogate the caller to see if they're a Sox fan. If Murphy suspects that the caller is a Sox fan, their points are dismissed. On the other hand, when callers mock the Sox Murphy rarely, if ever, interogates the caller to see if it's a Cub fan calling to mock the Sox.

Murphy of course felt compelled to read the stupid comments of a few Sox fans on Santo.

But Murphy isn't fair. From what I've read here and from my Sox fan friends, many Sox fans thought Santo deserved to be in the HOF. Of course, putting those Sox fans on the air or reading their emails won't start a fire like the few purported Sox fans who bothered to mock Santo.

A war of words probably draws more listeners.

- DrCrawdad.

gogosoxgogo
02-27-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Thanks Viva-I am proud I never turn on 670. Recurring incidents such as these 2 at least credit me with 1 correct decision in my life. It was Bernstein that started my purging myself of that station. As tolerant as I am, I cant believe real sports fans continue to tune in to the dribble and condiscending broadcasting on that frequency. Take it from me, I dont miss it and dont miss anything that happens in sports by avoiding that station. I remember Murphy whining over and over about the Flubs not retiring #10. I can imagine it today.

The Score sucks, don't listen to it.