PDA

View Full Version : Sox, Buerhle Haggling Again

Saracen
02-26-2003, 08:53 PM
I sure hate to see this.

Sox, Buehrle Haggling (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030226sox,1,4857958.story?coll=cs%2Dhome%2Dheadlin es)

voodoochile
02-26-2003, 08:56 PM
Hey, at least they've been talking...

RKMeibalane
02-26-2003, 08:57 PM
"Now pitching for the St. Louis Cardinals, Mark Buehrle."

Ugghhh!

Lip Man 1
02-26-2003, 09:14 PM
Did anybody REALLY expect anything different?

Lip

Mammoo
02-26-2003, 09:26 PM
...that MB is going to struggle this year!

StillMissOzzie
03-02-2003, 08:13 PM
I'm more worried that he pulls a Jack McDowell and announces that he won't sign w/ the Sox no matter what on his 1st chance at free agency :(:

LuvSox
03-02-2003, 08:23 PM
This regime just does not sign pitchers long term. Or give them loads of cash. Prepare for his exodus. :angry: By the way, can't we get Ozzie to coach for the Sox? How cool would that be?

HITMEN OF 77
03-03-2003, 01:05 AM
Isn't this what they call a Soap Opera?

Lip Man 1
03-03-2003, 12:27 PM
According to Teddy Greenstein's story in the Tribune today the Sox are going to renew Buehrle at a salary FAR below what other clubs are giving their young pitchers (Gagne of L.A. was used as an example.

Consdiering the minimum salary was raised to 300,000, he's not going to be getting much for his 19 wins last year.

They never learn do they?

Lip

gogosoxgogo
03-03-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
According to Teddy Greenstein's story in the Tribune today the Sox are going to renew Buehrle at a salary FAR below what other clubs are giving their young pitchers (Gagne of L.A. was used as an example.

Consdiering the minimum salary was raised to 300,000, he's not going to be getting much for his 19 wins last year.

Lip

Man Lip, you said it. I almost think they want this kid to leave. Yes, I understand that they're trying to save money to spend on other players, BUT YOU DO NOT PISS OFF ONE OF THE CORNERSTONES OF YOUR FRANCHISE! Do they think that Buehrle is just going to forget about all of this when 2006 rolls along?

(Sigh)... Ohh, Sox management, you've done it again.

duke of dorwood
03-03-2003, 12:41 PM
You would hope that with "The Promise of Spring" and what could be a better attitude on the team, this would not spill over from last year. But it has. Some guys EARN their $. This is one of them. And they are keeping it from this guy.

voodoochile
03-03-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

While I understand the resentment they are generating with Buehrle and hence with the fans who love him, I also see the Sox point. They are a business and trying to keep costs down. The only threat they have in negotiations is the threat of renewal.

MB can solve this problem by signing a long term contract - I'm sure the Sox have one on the table, but MB doesn't like it and the two sides are too far apart (apparently). So, MB doesn't sign and the Sox renew him.

It isn't like the Sox haven't offered a long term deal worth several million dollars a year, but MB and his agent feel they are better off with arbitration. Since the Sox are going to pay at that time no matter what, they will try to make up the money on the front end. I don't like it, but the system is what the system is. Perhaps next CBA will establish a pay scale for the first three years and end some of these issues - I kill me...

hold2dibber
03-03-2003, 01:21 PM
I understand, to an extent, where the Sox are coming from. But in the grand scope of things, I think re-newing Buehrle for an extra $150,000 over and above the team's normal pay scale for players with his experience would be a wise investment to help lessen the acrimony that may be developing between the star pitcher and the organization (and, perhaps, to give others in the organization a better feeling about how they'll be treated should they perform at a high level).

czalgosz
03-03-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

It isn't like the Sox haven't offered a long term deal worth several million dollars a year, but MB and his agent feel they are better off with arbitration. Since the Sox are going to pay at that time no matter what, they will try to make up the money on the front end. I don't like it, but the system is what the system is. Perhaps next CBA will establish a pay scale for the first three years and end some of these issues - I kill me...

Well put. The player's union has made it quite clear that they are not concerned about players who have not yet reached arbitration eligibility, and as arbitration pretty much guarantees that the player will be overpaid, the clubs do what they can before arbitration really comes.

And for those who say the Sox should just give Buerhle "whatever he wants", consider this - do you really think, that when Buehrle becomes a free agent (assuming he's still valuable), he'll say, "Well, I would have taken a better offer with St. Louis, but since the Sox treated me so well, I'll stay here in Chicago." Maybe in some bizarro world where players are loyal to teams, but not here in reality. The only thing that'll keep him in Chicago is offering him a better contract than the other teams when he's a free agent, period.

The only difference is going to be whether he says he'll miss Chicago as he dons his St. Louis hat at the press conference or not.

fuzzy_patters
03-03-2003, 10:14 PM
Does anyone remember JR talking about "windows of opportunity" in 1994? He basically said that teams have a small "window of opportunity" in which to build a championship at which point it is time to rebuild for the next "window."

Perhaps, the Sox are trying to save money over the next couple of years so that they can spend it on Colon or some other ace pitcher. Then, in a couple years when they are done trying to compete, they can cash in their chips and start rebuilding again. After all, that seems to be the Jerry Reinsdorf way.

Lip Man 1
03-03-2003, 11:40 PM
There's an old saying: penny save, pound foolish...

This is one of those examples. Sure the Sox are a business and are trying to save money......aaaahhhh but THERE is the real question save money for WHOM?

Uncle Jerry, his minority partners and their bank accounts?

or to try to win a championship, that they haven't even come close to in the 22+ years Uncle Jerry has owned the team.

I think we know the answer to that question don't we?

McDowell, Alvarez, Fernandez, Hernandez now Buehrle. Sure good pitchers grow on trees, they are a dime a dozen.

Unfortunately they never get "picked" by the White Sox

Lip