PDA

View Full Version : Farmer and Rooney ugh

Spiff
08-14-2001, 09:20 PM
One of them (I forget which) thinks the Cubs will still win the divison. Then they say "News on the north side is all good, Sammy Sosa hits his 36th home run..."

Iguana775
08-14-2001, 10:43 PM
i heard that too. lets hope not and the cubs continue to slide into mediocracy.

Procol Harum
08-14-2001, 11:37 PM
Gee, I'd be happy to get rid of those two on general principles--they're about as engaging as corn starch. I hate to say it, but those guys make hughes and Santo sound good by comparison.

Spiff
08-15-2001, 12:04 AM
I hate how they play the homerun guessing game.

"Boston's up three-two now in the bottom of the 7th. Guess who hit it."

"Ramirez?"

"Nope."

"Garciaparra?"

"Nope."

"Everett?"

"Nope."

"I give up."

"Craig Grebeck, DUH!"

Bmr31
08-15-2001, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Gee, I'd be happy to get rid of those two on general principles--they're about as engaging as corn starch. I hate to say it, but those guys make hughes and Santo sound good by comparison.

These two are horrible, ESPECIALLY Farmer.

Paulwny
08-15-2001, 07:46 AM
Rooney is OK but Farmer is the worst. The "Guess who hit a HR " also irritates me. Quite often I listen to the Yankme broadcast before the sox game starts. About a month ago Michael Kay while giving the scores said to John Sterling "Guess who hit a HR for Tampa Bay?" John Sterling's reply, "I honestly don't care.", end of that quiz.

Also to constantly hear Farmer, when Foulke comes into the 9th, "The 1st batter is the most important out", say it once a week, I got your message .

I wish these 2 would realize that people turn them on to listen to a broadcast of the game not a very poor Abbott and Costello routine.

KingXerxes
08-15-2001, 11:10 AM
Rooney is fine - the kind of guy who, if left alone, would do a great job calling a game without all the crap. That being said, Ed Farmer has got to go. When did it become "mandatory" to have a color guy, especially one who talks every moment the play-by-play guy isn't. It's kind of funny but in the movie Major League Bob Eucker's color man never really says a word and it was takien as some what of a joke.......I actually prefer guys like that.

Soxboyrob
08-15-2001, 11:43 AM
I can't get a handle on whether I like Farmer or not. He's extremely knowledgeable and provides expert analysis. On the other hand, his delivery is nothing short of Twilight Zone material. He's a strange dude and it comes across clearly in his broadcasts. That said, he is occasionally a riot and is also occasionally as annoying as a fly in my $5 Comiskey beer.

Rooney is fabulous.