PDA

View Full Version : minoso ... hof?

idseer
02-26-2003, 08:18 PM
i see a lot of minoso backers in here for the hall.
compare minoso to baines and tell me whether you think baines should also be there. (and remember, baines played in 1000 more games)

imo, IF minoso indeed belongs there, then so does harold!

TheBigHurt
02-26-2003, 08:38 PM
BAINES IS PROBALY MY FAV FORMER SOX SINCE IM ONLY 17

T Dog
02-26-2003, 11:47 PM
I was at a banquet in January where Harold Baines was introduced as a future Hall-of-Famer. The partisan crowd loudly showed agreement. I would vote for him, but I'm too much a Baines fans to consider his worthiness objectively. Baines was an awesome hitter. When his legs allowed him to play right field, he demonstrated that he had a cannon for an arm.

I never saw Minoso play. I never saw the ball jump off his bat. At a Sox game in the '70s when the Sox had him working the Sunday afternoon crowd, he sat next to me for an inning, and I felt I was in the presence of greatness. But I haven't been leaning toward supporting him for the HOF. I always considered him in that tier of excellent players who fell short of the greatness that defined their times.

Now I'm wondering if Minoso should be more deserving than Baines. Baines came to the Sox as a No. 1 draft pick and fulfilled his promise. Minoso didn't have the same chances because when he was coming of age as a baseball player, major league teams didn't care about his promise.

HITMEN OF 77
02-27-2003, 02:09 AM
I think Minoso should go. Baines also should be in the hall of fame. Baines has over 350 hr, over 1500 rbi a career batting average over .280 and a 6 time all-star! What more can you ask for?