PDA

View Full Version : The Choice Speaks! (again)

PaleHoseGeorge
02-26-2003, 03:13 PM
Oh baby, that GM back in Texas had it exactly right. "The problem with Royce is there are no mirrors in his house."

LOTS of players wear turf shoes during games? (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030225soxnotes,1,4442967.story?coll=cs%2Dwhitesox% 2Dheadlines)

This is some priceless stuff.

The Sox released him Sept. 8 after he made himself unavailable for pinch-running duties by wearing turf shoes, rather than spikes, on the bench.

"If somebody is going to release you for that, there are a lot of players going to be released," Clayton told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. "They can make up anything they want. I know in my mind it wasn't performance-based. It was something different.

Even Greenstein couldn't let him off THAT easy:

"I was just happy to get out of there. It wasn't anything I'd done. They didn't want to play me anymore. They told me that. It wasn't like 'OK, he stinks.' I hit .250 [actually .251] and had seven errors. I hit over .370 my last 100 at-bats. They just didn't want me there."

For what it's worth, Clayton had 31 hits in his final 100 at-bats.

And we all know that we measure an everyday ballplayer's worth by those last 100 at-bats in late-July and August, don't we?

They're gonna love this guy in Milwaukee.

:gulp:

A.T. Money
02-26-2003, 03:58 PM
Too bad in April, May, June and July he sucked total arse!

moochpuppy
02-26-2003, 03:59 PM
:hitless

"You check my last 100 at bats for every team I've played for. I'm an offensive machine!"

Foulke You
02-26-2003, 04:12 PM
I'm speechless. I knew he was arrogant but WOW!! I am so happy that guy is gone. First year since 2000 without Royce is going to be great. I'm sure he'll help the Brewers get a head start on their sixth place 100 loss season and keep the Cubs and Pirates from finishing in last.

:hitless
"Thank God I ended up in an organization like the Brewers that recognizes talent when they see it! Did I mention how incredible my fielding % was?"

soxruleEP
02-26-2003, 04:12 PM
This is just one more in his history of asinine remarks such as "Anyone who boos me is an idiot."

That guy didn't make errors because he never went after a ball more than one step in either direction.

Foulke You
02-26-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by soxruleEP
This is just one more in his history of asinine remarks such as "Anyone who boos me is an idiot."

That guy didn't make errors because he never went after a ball more than one step in either direction.

AMEN to that statement brother. This is why Valentin is a better SS than Royce. He hustles and gets to more balls. Royce played up the middle and let everything to his right go past him. This combined with his weak throwing arm, sub-Mendoza hitting skills, and bad attitude makes him half the player Valentin is.

Also, I would rank Royce's quotes here as some of the dumbest I've read since Jaime Navarro's "I can't hit for the guys, I can only pitch" remark after giving up 8 earned runs.

RKMeibalane
02-26-2003, 04:49 PM
I'm going to repeat something that was posted here a few months ago.

2003 Chicago White Sox Baseball: Rejoice. There is no Choice.

34 Inch Stick
02-26-2003, 05:56 PM
I may go to Milwaukee this year just to boo him a few more times. I hated that guy from the moment the trade was announced (even though I knew Myette would suck).

jeremyb1
02-26-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I may go to Milwaukee this year just to boo him a few more times. I hated that guy from the moment the trade was announced (even though I knew Myette would suck).

i don't know. myette hasn't been very good but he's still only 25 and made a lot less than clayton the last two years. its not just an issue of clayton pitching badly. i wouldn't mind having myette in AAA in case we really needed a starter or giving him a shot as a long reliever some time.

Foulke You
02-26-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i don't know. myette hasn't been very good but he's still only 25 and made a lot less than clayton the last two years. its not just an issue of clayton pitching badly. i wouldn't mind having myette in AAA in case we really needed a starter or giving him a shot as a long reliever some time.

FYI Aaron Myette is now on the Tribe so we will get to see him 19 times this year if he sticks with the team. I believe he came over in the Einar Diaz deal.

Randar68
02-26-2003, 07:24 PM
its not just an issue of clayton pitching badly.

No wonder he couldn't hit, he spent all his time pitching!

czalgosz
02-26-2003, 07:56 PM

A lot of things would have to go very wrong for me to start wishing Aaron Myette was back in the organization. He is quite simply the worst pitcher to get a lot of innings at the big league level over the past couple seasons.

pearso66
02-26-2003, 08:04 PM
I dont nkow about that, Tanyon Sturtz has to be at or near the top of the worst pitcher to pitch a lot the past few years

czalgosz
02-26-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
I dont nkow about that, Tanyon Sturtz has to be at or near the top of the worst pitcher to pitch a lot the past few years

Sturtze is a soldier. McRae left him in games last year where he was obviously dead, because their bullpen was decimated. He took his lumps for the team, and now he's not even on the team. Sturtze would probably compete for the #5 spot even on the Sox, if his arm doesn't fall off first.

Myette, in 148 career innings, has an ERA of 7.88. He's given up 25 homers, and walked 96(!). If he ever learns control, he could be decent, but don't count on that.

kermittheefrog
02-26-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
A lot of things would have to go very wrong for me to start wishing Aaron Myette was back in the organization. He is quite simply the worst pitcher to get a lot of innings at the big league level over the past couple seasons.

I think it's a little early to give up on Myette. He's only 25 and he hasn't really been given a chance in the bullpen. His strikeout rate is very impressive. There's a lot of talent there and he's out of the danger zone for a major injury. This is the stuff closers are made out of.

Stoky44
02-26-2003, 08:33 PM
All I can say is..."Thank God he's gone." Let him just keep talking, who cares what he thinks. I am sure he will have a lot more to say when he's sitting at home in October, b/c his Brewers aren't in the playoffs, and the sox are in the ALCS!