PDA

View Full Version : Murph Claims "Ten Irish Lawyers" Got Fox in HOF

Viva Magglio
02-26-2003, 07:33 AM
While discussing Ron Santo's chances of getting into the Hall of Fame, Mike Murphy said that there was no orchestrated effort to get Ron Santo into the HOF but claimed that "ten Irish lawyers" waged a successful campaign to get Nellie Fox into the HOF. Huh? Fred Huebner was quick to question Murph on that one.

moochpuppy
02-26-2003, 07:36 AM
It's about time Fred did something. Did Murph have anything to back that allegation up?

hold2dibber
02-26-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by ¡Viva Mágglio!
While discussing Ron Santo's chances of getting into the Hall of Fame, Mike Murphy said that there was no orchestrated effort to get Ron Santo into the HOF but claimed that "ten Irish lawyers" waged a successful campaign to get Nellie Fox into the HOF. Huh? Fred Huebner was quick to question Murph on that one.

I assume he was referring to the Nellie Fox Society, which did wage a campaign to get Fox enshrined (as he clearly deserved to be). I don't know a lot about the NFS, but I do personally know someone who was in it (and was a founding member) and he is indeed an Irish lawyer.

I wish there were a groundswell of support of that nature for Minoso, who I think is also deserving of enshrinement (in today's Trib, it says that Bill James ranks him as the 10th best left fielder of all time, ahead of 13 hall of famers, including Billy Williams).

duke of dorwood
02-26-2003, 07:55 AM
Someone still listens to that show?

Hangar18
02-26-2003, 08:06 AM
I caught that! the segment starts with "TODAYS A BIG DAY FOR RONNY" which led to the interviewing some guy who wrote a book about who isnt in the hof yet. Murph of course concentrated on if Santo was in his book, then INvited callers to give their best Santo stories. he also asked sox fans to call about Minoso, but he STAYED on it....talking about Santo...asking this writer questions about Santos Stats, and then, made the Stupid Comment about the 10 Irish Lawyers getting Nellie In. THat was Terrible. Like what is he doing? Using the Score for his Personal Cub/Santo Radio Network the last few weeks. Fred laughed and disagreed with him, but never said anything else, disputing, or otherwise saying "hey, dont say that, or people will think thats the truth". Im a bit tired of Freds 2nd fiddle act.

Mammoo
02-26-2003, 09:22 AM
http://images.radcity.net/5208/244622.jpg

To Fred's credit he did take exception to Murph's assertion that Ron Santo does not campaign for induction to the HOF. In fact, he did it twice, much to MM's aggravation.

It was at this point that MM brought up the Nellie Fox and the “Irish Lawyer” thing. Huebner responded by saying something to the effect that he (Murphy) shouldn’t take it out on Fox, as he is quite dead.

Whether it was 10 Irish lawyers or 10,000 chained to the bottom of the ocean, the point is Fox deserves to be enshrined as he was the linchpin of those great Go-Go Sox teams along with Aparicio, and Landis. He fashioned a wonderful 19-year career in which he excelled in the field and at the plate.

I have read the stories about Al Lopez badmouthing Fox, after good old #2 was dead. I don’t know how much of that is true or if it negatively affected Fox’s chances. If anyone here can verify that, I’d like to get the details.

I have no problem with Santo. There is no doubt in my mind that if the Cubs had gone on to play the Orioles in 1969 (with Brooks Robinson), he’d be in the HOF already. That’s just the way it works!

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/images/HallofFame/HOFlopez.jpg

"Say It Ain't So, Senor!"

PaleHoseGeorge
02-26-2003, 11:13 AM
Somebody needs to ask Murph how many MVP awards or pennants Ron Santo ever earned. As for defense... <rolls his eyes skyward>

And talk about campaigning, Fox has been dead for 27 years. Santo will go to his grave clutching a microphone.

WinningUgly!
02-26-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo
http://images.radcity.net/5208/244622.jpg

Is that an early pic of "Flounder" from "Animal House"?http://espn.go.com/media/pg2/2002/0717/photo/i_flounder_m.jpg :)

joecrede
02-26-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
And talk about campaigning, Fox has been dead for 27 years. Santo will go to his grave clutching a microphone.

Has there been anything more crass than Santo openly campaigning for this honor? Of course, that would never be written about because of his condition. That doesn't change the fact that it's slimey though.

I say enlist those "ten Irish lawyers" to help a much-deserving Minoso get elected.

DrCrawdad
02-26-2003, 12:16 PM
I emailed Murph & Fred this morning when I heard Murph make the ridiculous statement about campaigning for Fox and that no one has campaigned for Santo.

I don't have the email here at work, but I asked Murph if he'd ever listened to a Cub game on either WGN Radio or TV? Murph's response was that the only person who's championed Santo is Chimp. Well, Murph that's not true, not true at all. It's not just Chimp. If you watch a Cub game they always put the cameras on people with Santo HOF posters. On the radio, Pat Hughes is always promoting Santo. Plus every goofball who stops in the booth feels compelled to promote Santo.

I admit that I don't know, and I don't really care, if Santo should get in the HOF based on merit. I just find the perpetual promotion and the appeals to get Santo in very grating.

Murph, it's not just Chimp, it's that behemoth of Cubune Media (newspaper, radio, tv) that is campaigning for Santo.

Start playing the violins...

soxruleEP
02-26-2003, 12:21 PM
Caught that reading this morning Dr. C and knew it was our own Crawdaddy stepping into the fray.

Murphy claiming the Tribune has not been campaigning for Santo has the same validity as their claim that their coverage of the Sox abd SCubs is equivalent. The on-going study here at WSI demonstrates how rediculous that claim is.

Dadawg_77
02-26-2003, 01:03 PM

I have read the stories about Al Lopez badmouthing Fox, after good old #2 was dead. I don’t know how much of that is true or if it negatively affected Fox’s chances. If anyone here can verify that, I’d like to get the details.

I don't know the complete details but Al was on the Veteran Committee for awhile and the story was he try to keep Nellie out of the HOF.

czalgosz
02-26-2003, 01:06 PM
The rumor was that Fox came within one vote of HOF induction via the veteran's committee, and Lopez did NOT vote for Fox. It's not clear why he didn't.

Paulwny
02-26-2003, 01:35 PM
The book "Little Nel" by Gouch and Bard discusses the "feud".
Here's one which defends Lopez.

Ray Berres ex-sox coach--" People think something happened between Lopez and Nellie, that Al kept Nellie out of the Hall Of Fame.I spoke with Jack Brickhouse many times, he served on the same committee with Lopez for 15 years and said Lopez really plugged for Nellie."

I don't think we'll ever find out the whole story.

gogosoxgogo
02-26-2003, 04:28 PM
Viva, please, I'm begging you... stop listening to that ****. The Score is horrible. My friend's dad works there, so I kind of don't like saying this, but the only ones I listen to are my friend's dad, though he's just a reporter, J Hood and Julie Sweica. The rest are ****. The worst are Murph and North. Please Viva, just say no. Mac, Jurko, and Harry all the way.

Cheryl
02-26-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I assume he was referring to the Nellie Fox Society, which did wage a campaign to get Fox enshrined (as he clearly deserved to be). I don't know a lot about the NFS, but I do personally know someone who was in it (and was a founding member) and he is indeed an Irish lawyer.

I know a couple who were founding members also, and they're neither Irish nor lawyers.

hose
02-26-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by ¡Viva Mágglio!

Maybe Santo should have hired them.

Mammoo
02-26-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
but the only ones I listen to are my friend's dad, though he's just a reporter, J Hood and Julie Sweica.

...and you like Julie Sweica because...???

Daver
02-26-2003, 09:34 PM

I listen to her because she is a Sox fan and knows what she is talking about as far as baseball is concerned.

gogosoxgogo
02-27-2003, 04:44 PM

daver summed that up. Sweica knows baseball, she's very good with callers as far as taking their points, and responding to them, not avoiding them. She's a Sox fan as well. The main reason I listen to her is because she's so good at interacting with her listeners and callers.

Hangar18
02-27-2003, 05:08 PM
I agree. Julie Swieca is an excellent Journalist. I always liked the way she answered peoples questions on her talk show, but what really made me Her #1 Fan, was moments after a disheartening loss (in which Manuel left Foulke in for 2 innings when he obviously didnt have, resulting in a come-from-ahead loss) she Lambasted Manuel and blamed the loss on his pitching decision making. I remembered that because she was WATCHING the game, not just reporting the obvious, which was the final score. Cheers Jules