PDA

View Full Version : Should the Sox make a PR coup?

Viva Magglio
08-14-2001, 09:10 PM
The Cubs are reluctant to hire Steve Stone back. They claim to be satisfield with Joe Carter and Dave Otto. Say what you will about Stone being a former Cubs broadcaster, but we would all agree that he is a good baseball analyst. So, should we score a PR coup on the Cubs and hire Stone as a broadcaster?

Bmr31
08-14-2001, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
The Cubs are reluctant to hire Steve Stone back. They claim to be satisfield with Joe Carter and Dave Otto. Say what you will about Stone being a former Cubs broadcaster, but we would all agree that he is a good baseball analyst. So, should we score a PR coup on the Cubs and hire Stone as a broadcaster?

I think stoney is the best color analyst ive heard in a long time....

Tragg
08-14-2001, 09:15 PM
I think Stone was an excellent color man.

How would he work with Hawk, though.

Hawk overtly roots for the Sox, but he knows baseball, talks baseball, points out the plusses and minuses for the Sox and their opponents. The trouble with most broadcasters today is that they don't know baseball - Hawk does. So does Stone. And he worked well with Harry, so perhaps he can with Hawk, too.

OfficerKarkovice
08-14-2001, 09:16 PM
:DJ
What and get rid of me?

:hawk
I'll take a pay cut...sorry DJ...hello Steve.

Streets
08-14-2001, 09:48 PM
No! I totally can not stand the sound of Stone's voice. It drives me insane.

Nellie_Fox
08-15-2001, 12:11 AM
I was beginning to think that I was the only one who finds Stones nasal whining to be like fingernails on a blackboard.

FarWestChicago
08-15-2001, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
I was beginning to think that I was the only one who finds Stones nasal whining to be like fingernails on a blackboard.

Maybe if he wore one of those breathe right strips in the booth he wouldn't be so nasal. :)

KingXerxes
08-15-2001, 11:26 AM
I would love for the White Sox to hire Steve Stone. It would be one of the most classic booth combinations ever - and would last less than a year.

It is no secret that I can't stand Hawk Harrelson because he blabs on ad naseum about things which absolutely cannot be verified (a player's mindset, the best fake pick-off move ever, the best hook slide ever etc.), Stone on the other hand is rooted in verifiable knowledge (bad pitcher/hitter match-ups, next pitch prediction etc.) . Stone would definitely expose Harrelson as the wind-bag that he is, and then maybe we could hire a good play-byplay guy.

:hawk

"Mercy.............KingXerxes just did a hatchet job on me!.......That reminds me of a time - just recently as a matter of fact - when a group of people who KNOW this game , who you're all familiar with....I'm not gonna mention their names......, well they said that Chicago was lucky to have me in the booth.......Well I said thank you very much.....It's nice to know that being around this game for the past 40 years, and cinching it up everyday and girding my loins is all being noticed."

:DJ

"I quit."

Soxboyrob
08-15-2001, 11:33 AM
No thanks to Stone. I find the guy extremely mundane and boring. He usually states the obvious and is about as fun as watching paint dry. We already have that in DJ. Get rid of DJ and bring back Paciorek and you'd then see a marked improvement in Hawk. They were an excellent combo, providing laughs, pertinent insight and decent analysis. Hawk isn't close to the best broadcaster ever, but he's a little better than you're giving him credit for being.

THE_HOOTER
08-15-2001, 11:36 AM
Steve Stone was a great color man for the Cubs. He would be great for the White Sox as well.

Darrin is getting better, but Wimpy was BRUTAL. Talk about an annoying laugh!

Soxboyrob
08-15-2001, 11:52 AM
I've heard very few, if any, complain about Wimpy. In fact, you're the first I've heard dislike him that was a Sox fan. I'm sure there are more and maybe this will open the flood gates, but I absolutely loved him in the booth. He's now working w/ 3 different teams, so obviously his abilities are respected to some degree.

mrwag
08-15-2001, 12:08 PM
I thought he "retired"?

Soxboyrob
08-15-2001, 12:16 PM
Nah, he didn't retire.
He now does color commentary for the Tigers, Mariners and Braves. I don't know the logistics of when he works for whom, but my guess would be that he certainly works for the M's and Tigers when they play the Sox. After that, I don't know.

As for the "retired" thing, that is code for "the Sox sorta pushed me out the door."

Chisox353014
08-15-2001, 12:38 PM
No thanks to Stone. I find the guy extremely mundane and boring. He usually states the obvious and is about as fun as watching paint dry.

Amen to that! The guy's voice is like audible Valium...zzzzzzzz.
And I don't care how knowledgable he is, just hearing him drone on would remind me of the Flubs, and that is something I really don't need.

Kilroy
08-15-2001, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
Amen to that! The guy's voice is like audible Valium...zzzzzzzz.
And I don't care how knowledgable he is, just hearing him drone on would remind me of the Flubs, and that is something I really don't need.

Steve Stone blows. All the baseball knowledge in the world doesn't make him interesting to listen to. His voice makes you wanna change the channel.

rmusacch
08-15-2001, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

why did he leave the Cubs in the first place and what happened to that gig that he left them for/

Jerry_Manuel
08-15-2001, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
why did he leave the Cubs in the first place and what happened to that gig that he left them for/

I might be wrong but I think he left because he had some health problems.