PDA

View Full Version : Kid K ?


Vsahajpal
02-26-2003, 02:37 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030225sox,1,4530277.story?coll=cs%2Dhome%2Dheadlin es

Chisox_cali
02-26-2003, 04:55 AM
Man I like Kris so much more now, especially with his tat, I'd love to see it. Maybe one day he'll write another message in the mirror... :smile:

kermittheefrog
02-26-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by georgesltd56
Hot babes...

*sigh* I wish I had moderator powers RIGHT NOW....

dougs78
02-26-2003, 10:01 AM
Kris Honel sure does sound like a cocky little bastard doesn't he?? Man, I wouldn't mind seeing a little more humility out of a player, but I guess I just hope he can someday be as good as he thinks he already is. However, judging by the comments from his father, I'm not really surprised. They both came across as very, very full of themselves.

Hangar18
02-26-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by dougs78
Kris Honel sure does sound like a cocky little bastard doesn't he?? Man, I wouldn't mind seeing a little more humility out of a player, but I guess I just hope he can someday be as good as he thinks he already is. However, judging by the comments from his father, I'm not really surprised. They both came across as very, very full of themselves.

hey, its one thing to be cocky, another thing to be Cocky AND Greedy. He couldve said, "hey, im great arent I? I think I deserve a Few Million to or else Im not Signing". Im so glad he didnt do that. I dont like Greedy BallPlayers and JD Drew, Mark "the saviour" Prior, Bobby Hill come to mind Immediately.
THose guys have everything thats coming to them. Karmas a funny funny thing.

Iguana775
02-26-2003, 11:23 AM
Man, I really like this kids attitude!! I can't wait to see him in the bigs!

Mammoo
02-26-2003, 11:28 AM
From the article:

"Kris Honel could hit a pitched ball at 3, played catch with future big-leaguer Andy Benes at 5 and learned how to throw a curveball at 7."

Sounds like a candidate for Tommy John surgery!

http://www.krisbenson.com/Kris-photos/tommy2.jpg

Iwritecode
02-26-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by dougs78
Kris Honel sure does sound like a cocky little bastard doesn't he?? Man, I wouldn't mind seeing a little more humility out of a player, but I guess I just hope he can someday be as good as he thinks he already is. However, judging by the comments from his father, I'm not really surprised. They both came across as very, very full of themselves.

There's a very fine line between cocky and confident. The difference is acting like you are better than everyone else and believing you are better than everyone else. As long as he let's his pitching do the talking, he should have every right to be confident.

moochpuppy
02-26-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
There's a very fine line between cocky and confident. The difference is acting like you are better than everyone else and believing you are better than everyone else. As long as he let's his pitching do the talking, he should have every right to be confident.


http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/min/photo/ph_play_mugshot_gardenhire.jpg

"Oh great, another loud mouth Sox player."

Randar68
02-26-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
Sounds like a candidate for Tommy John surgery!

The difference is he learned to throw it the right way. A curve isn't much harder on your arm than a fastball if you throw it right. IIRC, He has never thrown sliders, so that's a huge plus...

Also, he learned the Knuckle-curse from the FSU pitching coach at a camp early in his HS career and that has turned out to be his best pitch, rated the best curse in the draft his draft year... IMO, one of the top 5 curves in the minors...

Vsahajpal
02-26-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Also, he learned the Knuckle-curse from the FSU pitching coach at a camp early in his HS career and that has turned out to be his best pitch, rated the best curse in the draft his draft year...

Best curve of HS'ers in the draft.

IMO, one of the top 5 curves in the minors...

Yep, yet probably #2 in the Sox system.

Randar68
02-26-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Best curve of HS'ers in the draft.

IMO, one of the top 5 curves in the minors...

Yep, yet probably #2 in the Sox system.


hehehe... I'm guessing you mean Munoz, although I would guess that Kris has more control over his...

hold2dibber
02-26-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
The difference is he learned to throw it the right way. A curve isn't much harder on your arm than a fastball if you throw it right. IIRC, He has never thrown sliders, so that's a huge plus...

Also, he learned the Knuckle-curse from the FSU pitching coach at a camp early in his HS career and that has turned out to be his best pitch, rated the best curse in the draft his draft year... IMO, one of the top 5 curves in the minors...

I take it the knuckle curve is generally considered to put less stress on the elbow than a standard curve?

Juan Pizarro
02-26-2003, 02:45 PM
No kids should throw a curve before they're 16. Regardless of whether they learn to throw it "the right way," it's too much stress on a developing arm.
There IS a nice breaking ball you can teach kids that won't stress them.
It's a modified breaker; you throw it as you would throw a football, with the hand on the side of the ball, and follow through like pulling a shade down. It drops off the table.

Mammoo
02-26-2003, 03:05 PM
From what I've heard and read, parents and kids would be well advised to work on velocity and mechanics.

Good mechanics (see Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens) and a live arm will get you where you want to go.

NC_sox_fan
02-26-2003, 05:17 PM
If Kris does indeed make it to Winston-Salem this year, you can bet we will ALL know if he's as cocky as he sounds. I've heard many stories about his attitude already. I expect the guys in big league camp are really giving him a roasting for that tatoo. Stay tuned for more developments.

kermittheefrog
02-26-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by NC_sox_fan
If Kris does indeed make it to Winston-Salem this year, you can bet we will ALL know if he's as cocky as he sounds. I've heard many stories about his attitude already. I expect the guys in big league camp are really giving him a roasting for that tatoo. Stay tuned for more developments.

He'll probably start the season at Winston-Salem. He was given a promotion to W-S for his final start of 2002 and he's clearly mastered Kannapolis.

Randar68
02-26-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Juan Pizarro
No kids should throw a curve before they're 16. Regardless of whether they learn to throw it "the right way," it's too much stress on a developing arm.
There IS a nice breaking ball you can teach kids that won't stress them.
It's a modified breaker; you throw it as you would throw a football, with the hand on the side of the ball, and follow through like pulling a shade down. It drops off the table.


I would never recommend any youngster to throw a curve. However, it's not bad on the arm if learned to throw the right way from the start. Most kids that throw it didn't learn it right from the start...

Well-spotted fastballs and changes can make you an extremely effective pitcher through HS.

Randar68
02-26-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
He'll probably start the season at Winston-Salem. He was given a promotion to W-S for his final start of 2002 and he's clearly mastered Kannapolis.

Would you be surprised to see him in Birmingham for the second half???

I wouldn't, but the Sox seem to be taking it slowly with him.

dougs78
02-26-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
There's a very fine line between cocky and confident. The difference is acting like you are better than everyone else and believing you are better than everyone else. As long as he let's his pitching do the talking, he should have every right to be confident.

I agree, there is a fine line between being cocky and being confident, although I disagree with what you regard as the difference. The difference lies in believing versus verbalizing. Its great for him to think hes going to be very successful, however, what is not good is when he goes around at age 20, never having pitched higher than A ball, saying some of the things hes saying. I think your last sentence sums up my point perfectly...let your pitching do the talking....not your mouth.

maurice
02-26-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Well-spotted fastballs and changes can make you an extremely effective pitcher through HS.

...and beyond. Fastball and change are still the best two legal pitches in baseball, even at the major league level. Hitting is all about timing. Nothing screws up a batter like a pitcher who can change speeds deceptively. That's why Keith Foulke (a two-pitch pitcher with an ordinary major-league fastball) is practically unhittable when he's not tipping his pitches.

It never ceases to amaze me that so many pitchers spend tons of time working on breaking balls they can't even throw for strikes while ignoring their change ups.

kermittheefrog
02-26-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Would you be surprised to see him in Birmingham for the second half???

I wouldn't, but the Sox seem to be taking it slowly with him.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's ready for AA but I bet they'll keep pushing him slowly.

czalgosz
02-26-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I would never recommend any youngster to throw a curve. However, it's not bad on the arm if learned to throw the right way from the start. Most kids that throw it didn't learn it right from the start...

Well-spotted fastballs and changes can make you an extremely effective pitcher through HS.

The curve's not inherently bad unless you have bad mechanics...

The slider is bad though. Any high school pitcher throwing sliders should set off all sorts of red flags...