PDA

View Full Version : New Score board?


Stoky44
02-25-2003, 10:40 PM
After going to a few of the the newer stadiums built, I think our jumbo tron is a bit outdated. You can't see the replays on the board if you are under it our at bad angles. If you go to Miller Park they have a great replay board. Plus I want to bring back a real exploding scoreboard, not this crap where they blow up fireworks behind it.

T Dog
02-25-2003, 10:59 PM
State-of-the-art scoreboards seem to become outdated almost as quickly as personal computers. The Miller Park scoreboard does a lot. It has its limitations, though. By August of the park's inaugural season, it couldn't show season-to-date strikeout totals for half of the starting lineup because the designers only provided room for two digits.

HITMEN OF 77
02-26-2003, 01:26 AM
Agree with the fact scoreboards go out of date like computers. I like the one we have now. What ever happened to the pinwheels from the Old Comiskey scoreboard? Sure would like to have one of those!

A.T. Money
02-26-2003, 02:09 PM
What exactly is a "real" exploding scoreboard?

I personally like the way the current scoreboard models the exploding scoreboard of the past.

And if I'm not mistaken, they do not blow em off right behind the scoreboard, but from IIT, because of the retirement home. The shells would rattle the building. The old park faced the other way and it was never an issue. This was another one of Uncle Jerry's mistakes.

Kilroy
02-26-2003, 03:25 PM
I think they need to replace the board only because there is so much more that can be done on the boards with the newer monitors they can put in there. The picture quality is fantastic on new ones, and the Jumotron is simply obsolete. But other than that, the board is fine.

Cheryl
02-26-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon


And if I'm not mistaken, they do not blow em off right behind the scoreboard, but from IIT, because of the retirement home. The shells would rattle the building.

They blow them off directly behind the ballpark. I've stood back there as close as I could get during fireworks shows and had the debris float down right on top of me. You can hear the explosions at IIT--I used to work there and that's something they bring up during HR Orientation so newbies will know what it is they're hearing.

Hullett_Fan
02-26-2003, 04:38 PM
The current one is fine...but maybe they should take down the billboards in LF and RF so that the board stands out more. The board at (old) Comiskey seemed to tower over everything else. The current one just blends in with the rest of the stuff beyond the concourse.

Stoky44
02-26-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
What exactly is a "real" exploding scoreboard?

I personally like the way the current scoreboard models the exploding scoreboard of the past.



A "real" exploding scoreboard is one that fireworks shoot out from directly, like the one at the old park. The fireworks actually came out from the top of the scoreboard instead of from behind the scoreboard in a parking lot. What we have now is not an exploding scoreboard, I think I heard it called a "firework launch pad behind the scoreboard" from the white sox. We are no better than any other team who shoots fireworks off after a homerun. It doesn't even come close to looking like the fireworks are coming from the scoreboard because they launch from left of the board.

Daver
02-26-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Stoky44
A "real" exploding scoreboard is one that fireworks shoot out from directly, like the one at the old park. The fireworks actually came out from the top of the scoreboard instead of from behind the scoreboard in a parking lot. What we have now is not an exploding scoreboard, I think I heard it called a "firework launch pad behind the scoreboard" from the white sox. We are no better than any other team who shoots fireworks off after a homerun. It doesn't even come close to looking like the fireworks are coming from the scoreboard because they launch from left of the board.

That is done for fire saftey.

Stoky44
02-26-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
The board at (old) Comiskey seemed to tower over everything else. The current one just blends in with the rest of the stuff beyond the concourse.



The board at the old Park seemed to tower over everything else because the upper deck was much lower than the current upper deck. I bet this current scoreboard is comparable in size to the old park's.

Stoky44
02-26-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by daver
That is done for fire saftey.


Was fire saftey an issue with the old park? I am kind of young, but I never remember hearing any such problems with the two at the old park. If there were no problems back then, with are advancing technology I would think it would be even less of a problem.

Daver
02-26-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Stoky44
Was fire saftey an issue with the old park? I am kind of young, but I never remember hearing any such problems with the two at the old park. If there were no problems back then, with are advancing technology I would think it would be even less of a problem.

I know of no fires or problems with the scoreboard at Old Comiskey,which doesn't mean there weren't any,but I did help build New Comiskey,and I know what fire codes are for new construction in the City of Chicago,and they would never allow it to happen nowadays.

Stoky44
02-26-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by daver
I know of no fires or problems with the scoreboard at Old Comiskey,which doesn't mean there weren't any,but I did help build New Comiskey,and I know what fire codes are for new construction in the City of Chicago,and they would never allow it to happen nowadays.


But MAYOR DALEY is a Sox fan, I am sure he could pull some strings. lol. I have no clue about fire code, you probably are right. But I can still hope.

Viva Magglio
02-26-2003, 07:38 PM
It should be noted that the renovation crew is working on the scoreboard. I pass the ballpark each day on Metra Southwest, and I noticed that the space where the JumboTron is was vacant. They must be putting in a new one. I wonder if Uncle Jerry got it a Best Buy.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-26-2003, 08:13 PM
Let me preface my comments by noting I really don't care about the stadium, the scoreboard, or the color of the seats if only the Sox would become CHAMPIONS!

Having said that, the current scoreboard falls WAAAAAY short of what the original Veeck Monster scoreboard used to be.

You have to put both scoreboards into the context of their times. Veeck's Monster, introduced in 1960, was an ABSOLUTE SENSATION in baseball. Sports Illustrated put the damned thing on their cover, LOL! It was just SOOO much bigger, and just SOOO much noiser, and SOOO much more entertaining, it became a story unto itself.

Of course Veeck's Monster was WAAY bigger than the current scoreboard when you compare its size to the overall size of the ballpark. This is key! The Old Monster simply dwarfed everything around it. It was the obvious edifice inside the entire Old Comiskey Park. As as kid, I can remember caring about little else than whether or not our seats had a good view of the scoreboard--just in case that mutha got lit up. Veeck's Monster became the very epitome of seeing a game at Old Comiskey.

The current scoreboard is an absolute joke compared the old Monster. Yes, it is bigger, but so what? It blends right into all the other massive outfield signage, and it is positively dwarfed by Reinsdorf's sea of blue seats in the upper deck. They kept the fireworks and whirlygigs, but the catcalls and sound effects are all missing. And why the hell did they do away with the strobe lights and the crazy roman candles?

I swear, every marketing move this organization makes leaves me scratching my head.

Meanwhile, every other ballpark in America has taken all of Veeck's ideas and ran with them. Practically everyone shoots off fireworks these days. Comerica Park has a scoreboard that puts ours to shame. They even stole my merry-go-round idea (copyright 1996, PHG). Dammit, don't let them steal the ferris wheel idea, too!!!

Who is protecting the legacy of Chicago White Sox Baseball? The answer: nobody!

If it was up to me, I would rebuild the scoreboard FIVE-TIMES bigger than the current one. The rocket launchers on top would be real, and each would recoil like a howitzer with each cannon shot. There would be enough neon and tracer lights on that mutha to do the Tokyo Chamber of Commerce proud. It would be the most outrageous edifice in all of baseball--same as Veeck's 40 years ago!

DO THE CHICAGO WHITE SOX HAVE ANY CLUE HOW TO MARKET THEIR TEAM????

Arrrgh!!!!

hsnterprize
02-27-2003, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
Agree with the fact scoreboards go out of date like computers. I like the one we have now. What ever happened to the pinwheels from the Old Comiskey scoreboard? Sure would like to have one of those!

If you go to the SportMart in downtown Chicago at the corner of Ontario and LaSalle, there is an Old Comiskey Park scoreboard display near an elevator at the northwest corner of the 1st floor. There's a big poster of the scoreboard, one of the pinwheels, and a row of old ballpark chairs. It's a pretty neat display. Check it out.

hsnterprize
02-27-2003, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
The current one is fine...but maybe they should take down the billboards in LF and RF so that the board stands out more. The board at (old) Comiskey seemed to tower over everything else. The current one just blends in with the rest of the stuff beyond the concourse.

I posted in an earlier thread about how the Sox could put home run porches in left and right field. If they were to do that, a larger scoreboard would really accent the place.

hsnterprize
02-27-2003, 06:07 AM
Whether or not the scoreboard is redone isn't that important to me. What I'm most concerned about is that the team be improved, the marketing for this team improve, and the ballpark be improved. As long as that happens, then the scoredoard will only be a minor detail in the overall overhaul of the White Sox. They can improve the scoreboard and the rest of the park if they want to, but if the team who plays in "The Cell" stinks, then there aren't going to be a lot of people in the place to gaze at that scoreboard.

chisoxt
02-27-2003, 07:14 AM
I love this topic. I too am dissapointed by the new scoreboard, especially compared to the old one. (and by that I mean the board that Veeck remodled in 1976). There were several things that made the old board very cool.
1. Scale.- Yes the fact that the upper deck grand stand came right up to the board made it seem very imposing. There is really nothing that frames the new board.
2. The Chasing Lights. If you watched the old board closely, the chasing lights on the roman candles, the clock and the 'V' under the board moved in different patterns which added interest to the display. The new boards lights simply move in one direction.
3. The fireworks. I do believe that even with the old board, the fireworks were blown off behind the scoreboard. However, I do think that there were actual flares or Roamn candles that did come out of the scoreboard! This was soooooooo cool!. Now the fireworks are blown off in an area off-center behind the new board
4. The strobe lights. On the remodeled board, Veeck randomly placed strobe lights which added a cool effect.

Hullett_Fan
02-27-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
As as kid, I can remember caring about little else than whether or not our seats had a good view of the scoreboard--just in case that mutha got lit up. Veeck's Monster became the very epitome of seeing a game at Old Comiskey.

I'm with you PHG. The board was the main attraction for me as a youngster. I'd get so pissed if we went to a game and the Sox didn't hit a HR.

They really need to fix that mess they currently have up beyond the concourse. :angry:

idseer
02-27-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
What exactly is a "real" exploding scoreboard?


the trouble with a "real" exploding scoreboard is ... you can only use it once.
:smile: