PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Cleveland GM Mark Shapiro


kermittheefrog
02-25-2003, 03:57 PM
Smart guy, unfortunately that probably means he'll be fielding a competitive team soon. I like his honesty with regard to Vizquel. They can't trade him and they are just respecting his status as a veteran. Brandon Phillips is clearly better this point and they know it.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/20030225keri.shtml

Daver
02-25-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Smart guy, unfortunately that probably means he'll be fielding a competitive team soon. I like his honesty with regard to Vizquel. They can't trade him and they are just respecting his status as a veteran. Brandon Phillips is clearly better this point and they know it.

Hey Kermit,how about a link to the article?

czalgosz
02-25-2003, 04:15 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/20030225keri.shtml

Here ya go...

hose
02-25-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Smart guy, unfortunately that probably means he'll be fielding a competitive team soon. I like his honesty with regard to Vizquel. They can't trade him and they are just respecting his status as a veteran. Brandon Phillips is clearly better this point and they know it.


Didn't one Cleveland's top prospect just break his ankle playing a pick up game of basketball and is done for the year?

kermittheefrog
02-25-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by daver
Hey Kermit,how about a link to the article?

Man I am so bad at starting threads.

joecrede
02-25-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Man I am so bad at starting threads.

You're a bad teammate and add nothing to WSI's chemistry too... :D:

MarkEdward
02-25-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by hose
Didn't one Cleveland's top prospect just break his ankle playing a pick up game of basketball and is done for the year?

I believe it was Matt Whitney, their second pick in the 2002 draft. He stepped on a sprinkler cover or something like that. Freak accident.

On Shapiro: He's a good GM, although I question his veteran signings. Lawton was signed for too much. I don't understand why he brought in Shane Spencer. Same with Ricky Gutierrez. He does have the Indians on the right track, however.

kermittheefrog
02-25-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
I believe it was Matt Whitney, their second pick in the 2002 draft. He stepped on a sprinkler cover or something like that. Freak accident.

On Shapiro: He's a good GM, although I question his veteran signings. Lawton was signed for too much. I don't understand why he brought in Shane Spencer. Same with Ricky Gutierrez. He does have the Indians on the right track, however.

Well in the interview he admits Lawton and Guitierrez were mistakes.

Spencer doesn't even have to make the team and if he does he should only play against tough lefthanded pitching. The guys brought in this year by Shapiro are cheap and won't get in the way of young players.