PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Prospects and Each Position

hold2dibber
02-24-2003, 06:50 PM
I don't think anyone has posted this yet. CNNSI has ranked the top 10 prospects at every position. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/minors/news/2003/01/21/top10_prospects/) I didn't see a lot of White Sox on the lists; Olivo was no. 7 among catchers, Borchard no. 2 among OFs, Honel an honorable mention among RHPs and Neal Cotts (!) an honorable mention among the LHPs (although they identify him as being in the A's organization). I was a little surprised that neither Munoz nor Rauch garnered at least an honorable mention.

czalgosz
02-24-2003, 06:55 PM
Rauch's 2001 injury knocked him off most prospect lists; most people were scared away by that.

Munoz didn't really open eyes until his performance in the Dominican league, which was too late for most prospect lists. Guys who pitch in relief in the minors tend not to get noticed by scouts.

MarkEdward
02-24-2003, 07:40 PM
Rocco Baldelli the top outfield prospect? At best, he's number six, maybe five. He needs to learn how to take a walk.

Is it just me, or is there a lack of left-handed pitching prospects?

kermittheefrog
02-24-2003, 07:44 PM
These lists aren't exactly comprehensive. Where is Marlon Byrd?

whitesoxwilkes
02-24-2003, 08:15 PM
9. Shin-Soo Choo, Mariners
Choo is a natural line-drive hitter with tremendous bat speed, solid tools and superb instincts. The 20-year-old Choo batted a combined .303 between two Class A levels in 2002 and was named to SportsTicker's All-Teen Team. At just 5-11, 178 pounds, Choo does not offer a great deal of power. After being signed by the Mariners in August of 2000, the left-handed-hitting native of South Korea has hit only 11 career home runs. He has a good eye at the plate but can be too passive, a trait that will get better as he matures. Defensively, Choo's arm is his best tool. He was clocked at throwing 95 mph at the World Junior Championships in 2000.

Think they'll all be chanting Chugga Chugga Chugga Chugga CHOOO CHOOO at Safeco this summer?

Stoky44
02-24-2003, 08:55 PM
Does it really matter all that much we don't have the greatest prospects? i sometimes think that prospects can be overated and really not do to much when they come up. The reason I say this isn't a huge deal is b/c we got a very young team now at the big league level that will play great. We are set for many years to come. You got to remember we recently just brought up all our studs. I would worry about the list for say like 4 or 5 years. We should have this core club for a while, that's if we don't get destroyed with losing players to the free agent market.

Daver
02-24-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Stoky44
Does it really matter all that much we don't have the greatest prospects? i sometimes think that prospects can be overated and really not do to much when they come up. The reason I say this isn't a huge deal is b/c we got a very young team now at the big league level that will play great. We are set for many years to come. You got to remember we recently just brought up all our studs. I would worry about the list for say like 4 or 5 years. We should have this core club for a while, that's if we don't get destroyed with losing players to the free agent market.

You build the strength of your club through your minor league system,whether you bring these players up or trade them,they are still the measure of your strength as an organization.

The Sox do not have very many players from the current 25 man roster that are still under contract after this season,Paul Konerko,,Magglio Ordonez,and Carlos Lee are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head,though I am not including players ineligible for FA,that being said KW better start addressing the fact that the AAA team is in terrible shape,and that the AA is not going to be much better off after a good number of their players will be re-assigned to the Charlotte roster.

Kenny needs to draft well this year,he did not draft particulary well last year.

ohalloran
02-25-2003, 07:05 AM
Daver-Is there a site that gives the MLB players contract info <status, length etc>?-Thanks

thecell
02-25-2003, 10:15 AM
Prospects are so overrated. A lot of the best players come out of nowhere. Look at the flubs, they won't go out and sign any free-agents because they say their prospects will be great. Name at least 3 prospects who have made an impact in the bigs for the flubs.

hold2dibber
02-25-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by thecell
Prospects are so overrated. A lot of the best players come out of nowhere. Look at the flubs, they won't go out and sign any free-agents because they say their prospects will be great. Name at least 3 prospects who have made an impact in the bigs for the flubs.

Prospects are critical. Most of the Sox' best players and much of their roster is populated by guys they drafted or otherwise obtained as minor leaguers (e.g., Frank, Buehrle, Maggs, Crede, Rowand, Olivo, C Lee, Garland, Wright, Rowand, Glover, Rauch, Wunsch, Ginter). Others were obtained via trades that included, at least in part, Sox prospects that other teams wanted (e.g., Valentin, Colon, Graffinino, Jiminez, Harris, Koch).

As to the Cubs, I don't think there problem is unwillingness to sign free agents, it's just that they seem to sign the wrong ones (e.g., Alou, Hundley, etc.). Of course, the Sox sometimes suffer from the same malady (e.g., Navarro).

maurice
02-25-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by thecell
Name at least 3 prospects who have made an impact in the bigs for the flubs.

Ooo! Ooo! I know! How about:

1. Kerry Wood
2. Jesus Prior
3. Kyle Farnsworth

Sure Farnsworth was bad last year, but he definitely "made an impact in the bigs for the flubs" in 2001. Still no good? How about Greg Maddux? You didn't say "recently." :cool:

Good point about the scrubs' position prospects, though. They're still waiting on Hill, Choi, Patterson, etc.

czalgosz
02-25-2003, 11:57 AM
Well, to be fair, of all their prospects, only Prior and Patterson got a really serious look last year, and Prior passed with flying colors. The jury's definitely still out on Hill and Choi.

A lot depends on what Dusty Baker does with these guys. He was known here in SF for not being very good at developing young players (although he gets a lot out of aging veterans). That could potentially be dangerous, as guys like Hill and Choi might get hurt in their development if the Cubs go looking for veteran help.

Since I'm not in Chicago and I don't follow the Cubs, I don't know what their plan is. Do they plan on going for the division win and the playoffs, or do they want to let their youngsters take their lumps and build for 2004?

kermittheefrog
02-25-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by ohalloran
Daver-Is there a site that gives the MLB players contract info <status, length etc>?-Thanks

http://www.bluemanc.demon.co.uk/baseball/mlbcontracts.htm

ohalloran
02-25-2003, 04:16 PM
Thanks kermie