PDA

View Full Version : Frank vs. Sammy

gosox41
02-24-2003, 04:36 PM
I've been hearing a lot about a media bias against Frank. His teammates don't like him, his GM disses him, etc. So the question I ask is if you were running a team who would you rather have in the clubhouse?

This is more of a question of personality and has nothing to do with who is better or who could fit in a salary structure, etc. Who is good/bad for team chemistry (which we've been hearing a lot about), is more of a team player, or is more of a distraction to the team?

Bob

cheeses_h_rice
02-24-2003, 04:41 PM
I would find both of them disruptive, to be honest.

Sham-ME because he would always be "above the team" as far as being treated, and Frank because he has the PR skills of an infant and doesn't seem to fully grasp the concept of being a team player. When Frank's producing, though, I'd take him over Sham-ME, because only then is he truly happy; I've almost never seen Sham-ME be one with the team in celebration.

Stoky44
02-24-2003, 05:47 PM
I would rather have Frank over Sammy because as long as we can keep Frank quiet and we win there is no problem, especially no freaking home run hop/dance. Sammy will always think he's better than and above the team whereas Frank's main problem is he can't handle media coverage when times are bad for him. I could not stand to see a player on our team down 12 runs and do a home run hop. Just my feeling.

alohafri
02-25-2003, 01:05 PM
Since I don't like Salsa music, I would have to take Frank.

Kilroy
02-25-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
...Frank... doesn't seem to fully grasp the concept of being a team player.

For the love of Christ, since everyone repeats that nonsense, maybe someone would care to go on record as what Frank should be doing to be a team player. And before you get started, let me remove "hitting behind a runner" or "advancing a runner" as it doesn't make any sense for the DH to do that.

Aside from that, lay it out for me. What's Frank gotta do to be a TEAM guy?

cheeses_h_rice
02-25-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
For the love of Christ, since everyone repeats that nonsense, maybe someone would care to go on record as what Frank should be doing to be a team player. And before you get started, let me remove "hitting behind a runner" or "advancing a runner" as it doesn't make any sense for the DH to do that.

Aside from that, lay it out for me. What's Frank gotta do to be a TEAM guy?

I said he didn't FULLY grasp the concept of being a team player. I'm referring to this off-the-field garbage and not at all to Frank's performance on the diamond.

For starters, he could learn to stop responding to reporters' bait and flat out refuse to discuss matters like Konerko's comments, his contract, relationship to Kenny Williams, etc. That would be a good place to begin, stop focusing on HIS controversies and HIS gripes and worry instead about what's best for this TEAM. It's not that hard to figure out. It would have been great to hear Frank say to the assembled reporters, "There are some things that I'm not satisfied with that concern me personally, but I'd rather not talk about them. Instead, I want the White Sox to win the AL Central, the AL pennant, and a World Series title. Thank you, good night."

czalgosz
02-25-2003, 02:24 PM
Well, to be fair to Frank, not talking to the media gets you labelled as a bad guy as surely as speaking your mind does. If a reporter asks Frank, "How do you feel about your new contract?" and Frank says, "I don't want to talk about it. I'd rather focus on baseball", then guaranteed the next day the headline will be, "SURLY THOMAS STARTS MEDIA BAN."

The only thing that would keep Thomas out of trouble would be for him to lie and say, "I love my new deal and I'm just so happy and feel so lucky to be here." And Frank's got too much pride to do that, so it's lose-lose.

jeremyb1
02-25-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Well, to be fair to Frank, not talking to the media gets you labelled as a bad guy as surely as speaking your mind does. If a reporter asks Frank, "How do you feel about your new contract?" and Frank says, "I don't want to talk about it. I'd rather focus on baseball", then guaranteed the next day the headline will be, "SURLY THOMAS STARTS MEDIA BAN."

The only thing that would keep Thomas out of trouble would be for him to lie and say, "I love my new deal and I'm just so happy and feel so lucky to be here." And Frank's got too much pride to do that, so it's lose-lose.

if we're going strictly on chemistry, i wouldn't want either. if i myself were a player in the clubhouse i think i'd find sammy's antics far more obnoxious than franks.

Kilroy
02-25-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
It would have been great to hear Frank say to the assembled reporters, "There are some things that I'm not satisfied with that concern me personally, but I'd rather not talk about them. Instead, I want the White Sox to win the AL Central, the AL pennant, and a World Series title. Thank you, good night."

If Thomas would have said exactly that, the headlines would have read "THOMAS STILL BROODING."

In fact, Thomas DID talk about how he was excited about the changes made for this year, and that he had good expectations, but strangely enuf, those things were largely ignored...

joecrede
02-25-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
if we're going strictly on chemistry, i wouldn't want either. if i myself were a player in the clubhouse i think i'd find sammy's antics far more obnoxious than franks.

Let Frank brood in the corner of the clubhouse if that's what he wants to do. Doesn't bother anyone. Sammy's stereo blasting before and after games is much, much, more annoying to those he shares the clubhouse with I would imagine.

cheeses_h_rice
02-25-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
If Thomas would have said exactly that, the headlines would have read "THOMAS STILL BROODING."

In fact, Thomas DID talk about how he was excited about the changes made for this year, and that he had good expectations, but strangely enuf, those things were largely ignored...

Sadly enough, you're probably right; given his past history, he probably can't win with the media. But at least anyone who can hear could see that he's *trying* to put it in the past.

I'm guessing he learned a big lesson this week and will not rise to the bait in the future. I'm hopeful this is the case.

czalgosz
02-25-2003, 03:45 PM
What really matters in all this is how Frank does at the plate. I guarantee you that if he produces like he did in 2000, or something even close, all this talk about him being a "cancer" will go away.