PDA

View Full Version : handicapping the fifth starters spot

jeremyb1
02-24-2003, 01:58 PM
i know that phil rogers was previously quoted as saying that rauch is going to have to be lights out in the spring to win the fifth starters spot so i think its definately notable that in his article on the sox-twins rivalry (http://arc1.msn.com/ADSAdClient31.dll?GetAd?PG=PROSPT?SC=D1), phil lists only rauch in the fifth staters spot. i don't know if this is an indication that rauch looks good or is expected to look good this spring or that the sox are now more eager to put him in the rotation. i definately still like rauch's chances to make the rotation, i just think he's a really solid pitcher and seems to have overcome his health problems pretty well so far.

delben91
02-24-2003, 03:13 PM
I think it's a pretty safe bet, barring anything unforseen (injuries, someone pitching much better or worse than expected), that the fifth starter's spot will come down to Rauch and Loaiza.

Based on JM's comments about the 5th man in the rotation having to pitch out of the pen some in the early going, I'd tend to say that Loaiza will win out, at least for the early going. I still think Rauch will lay claim to it eventually this season, but in the interest of regular work, I picture him spending the opening section of the season in AAA.

34 Inch Stick
02-24-2003, 04:10 PM
It will be three weeks into the season until the 5th starter makes an appearance. Keep him in AAA for those weeks to start and bring him up when the 5th starter is finally needed.

jeremyb1
02-24-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
It will be three weeks into the season until the 5th starter makes an appearance. Keep him in AAA for those weeks to start and bring him up when the 5th starter is finally needed.

i agree with you if in fact we don't need a fifth starter for three weeks but in this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17381&perpage=15&display=&pagenumber=2) it was decided we need one within the first week.

dougs78
02-24-2003, 06:31 PM
To throw a little extra speculation onto the fire, I definitely recall reading two quotes my Manuel in the last few weeks where he spoke very highly of Stewart. I honestly know nothing about Stewart other than hes a left hander, but Manuel alluded to that fact and stated something to the effect of..."I'm not calling him the frontrunner, but hes right there."

This could be just JM blowing smoke about a rookie, but we've seen him do more than that with a certain CF'er a few years back.

I still say it should be Rauch, but I'd settle with Loaiza for a while also.

bighurt93
02-24-2003, 07:19 PM
Manuel also said that he would enjoy having the left handed Stewart in their to break up the righties. That being said, I believe that the fith spot should go to rauch. He has a much higher ceiling than Lozia, plus he has the ability to dominate, rember how great Rauch did at the end of last year. Imagine Bartolo and Buhrele with era'ss in the low to mid 3's, Garland and wright in the high 3's mid 4's and Rauch appearing awsome sometimes and not so awsome other times. An optimistic prediction but a very reachable one.

czalgosz
02-24-2003, 07:27 PM
A lot would have to go wrong with this team for Josh Stewart to be in the starting rotation. Manuel saying he has a shot is just a mental boost for Stewart, and an incentive for everyone else. He said the same thing about Munoz last spring.

It wouldn't bother me if Loaiza makes the team out of ST - if he's healthy, and on, he's really pretty good. He could be like Cal Eldred circa 2000. I've heard bad things about his work ethic, but as this is the first season for a while that he's not guaranteed a rotation spot, he might try harder.

jeremyb1
02-24-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
A lot would have to go wrong with this team for Josh Stewart to be in the starting rotation. Manuel saying he has a shot is just a mental boost for Stewart, and an incentive for everyone else. He said the same thing about Munoz last spring.

It wouldn't bother me if Loaiza makes the team out of ST - if he's healthy, and on, he's really pretty good. He could be like Cal Eldred circa 2000. I've heard bad things about his work ethic, but as this is the first season for a while that he's not guaranteed a rotation spot, he might try harder.

yeah. i have no problem with loaiza. i've always liked him. signing him to a minor league deal was a strong move by kw. my thinking is just that rauch is better right now and will only improve.

kermittheefrog
02-24-2003, 08:05 PM
I'll be genuinely surprised if Josh Stewart makes more than 10 major league starts in his career.

Daver
02-24-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I'll be genuinely surprised if Josh Stewart makes more than 10 major league starts in his career.

I'll disagree with you on that one Kermit,Stewart does not have overpowering stuff,and does nothing to make over the top impressive,but he has decent mechanics and can throw with his left hand,he will get plenty of chances to make it at the Major league level because of that.

czalgosz
02-24-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by daver
I'll disagree with you on that one Kermit,Stewart does not have overpowering stuff,and does nothing to make over the top impressive,but he has decent mechanics and can throw with his left hand,he will get plenty of chances to make it at the Major league level because of that.

No doubt, but probably as a reliever. There will always be a need for lefty relievers, just ask Jesse Orosco. Starters need to have something more than lefthandedness, though...

Daver
02-24-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
No doubt, but probably as a reliever. There will always be a need for lefty relievers, just ask Jesse Orosco. Starters need to have something more than lefthandedness, though...

The fact that he throws four pitches for strikes tells me he will get more than one chance to be a starter Czal.

progers0826
02-24-2003, 09:30 PM
I just saw the first post in this thread and thought I'd clarify something. The ESPN.com editors put together those lineups and rotations that ran with the Sox-Twins column. If it was up to me, I'd put Loaiza as the No. 5 starter for now. My guess is that if Loaiza has a decent spring he'll be the easier alternative for April and May, which would allow Rauch to go get a head start on the season at Triple-A. But I guess we should all hold off and see how guys pitch.

joecrede
02-24-2003, 10:50 PM
What's Kenny Rodgers status? I'd probably rather save the million or so needed to sign him, using it instead at the trade deadline when the needs of the team are more clearly defined. I'd give Loaiza every chance to win the job during ST and ease Rauch into the big leagues working him out of the bullpen after a midseason call-up.

The thing I'm concerned about is their apparent plan to skip the 5th starter whenever possible. A rested Buehrle and Colon will be huge come the post-season. There's no shame in relying on the offense to win games once in a while.

fuzzy_patters
02-25-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by progers0826
I just saw the first post in this thread and thought I'd clarify something. The ESPN.com editors put together those lineups and rotations that ran with the Sox-Twins column. If it was up to me, I'd put Loaiza as the No. 5 starter for now. My guess is that if Loaiza has a decent spring he'll be the easier alternative for April and May, which would allow Rauch to go get a head start on the season at Triple-A. But I guess we should all hold off and see how guys pitch.

Congratulations Phil on another great article. Was the comment about 30/190 a jab at the Minny writer who ripped you last week? That's the way I took it, and I had to chuckle at that one.