PDA

View Full Version : Maggs in best shape ever

maurice
02-24-2003, 11:03 AM
Maggs says that he spent the offseason working out with A-Rod and the University of Miami football team at 7:00 a.m., becoming stonger and faster. Article (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/main_story.asp?intID=3767635).

Good Lord. Does this mean that we can expect yet another incremental increase in his offensive production this year?

40+ HRs?

30+ SBs?

I can't wait to find out.

MattSharp
02-24-2003, 11:08 AM
I was just commenting to my dad about this line. Every year with every player they always say the are in the best shape ever. How is it that every year these players get older but someone still are in the best shape year after year?

Viva Magglio
02-24-2003, 11:16 AM
2003 to 2010 -- Works out with University of Miami football team prior to each season, incresingly working with running backs each year

2010 -- Retires from baseball, named UM running backs coach

2013 -- Leaves UM when entire coaching staff is fired, becomes Northwestern University running backs coach. 'Cats go on to lead the Big Ten in rushing.

2015 -- Leaves NU to become University of Arizona offensive coordinator. U of A goes on to lead the nation in total offense.

2018 -- Leaves U of A and becomes NU head coach.

2021 -- Leads NU to the Rose Bowl and win National Championship. Meanwhile in 2021, it has been 104 years since the White Sox last won the World Series.

Stoky44
02-24-2003, 02:07 PM
I could be wrong but didn't MAgs get off to a slow start either in 2002 or 2001 b/c it was the first year he didn't play winter ball? So I guess it is good that he worked out and got faster and stronger. But hitting a baseball is the most difficult task in all of professional sports, where if you do your job only 33% of the time you are one of the all time greats. But keep in mind just because you are strong and fast won't make you a good hitter. Lets hope he kept his swing up to par over the winter so he comes out hitting well without any slow slumps in April and May.

34 Inch Stick
02-24-2003, 04:07 PM
My Predictions For Maggs

40 Home Runs

30 Stolen Bases

12 1/2 sacks

hold2dibber
02-24-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Maggs says that he spent the offseason working out with A-Rod and the University of Miami football team at 7:00 a.m., becoming stonger and faster. Article (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/main_story.asp?intID=3767635).

Good Lord. Does this mean that we can expect yet another incremental increase in his offensive production this year?

40+ HRs?

30+ SBs?

I can't wait to find out.

Maggs pretty much stopped trying to steal bases last year. Anyone know why? I'm guessing they decided that the wear and tear of trying to steal 25-30 bases was not worth it; that they'd rather have him save his energy and strength over the course of the long season for mashing of the ball. If so, it worked.

And I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but that's 1500 posts for me.

maurice
02-24-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Maggs pretty much stopped trying to steal bases last year. Anyone know why?...And I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but that's 1500 posts for me.

Congrats on the 1500.

The whole Sox team stopped stealing bases last year, which is becoming a disturbing pattern with this team. It always bugged the heck out of me that fast guys like Durham, Singleton, and Raines refused to run. Lee and Ordonez both have shown the ability to steal 20-30 bases, if they only tried. Perhaps the firing of Pettis will turn this around.

Originally posted by Stoky44
keep in mind just because you are strong and fast won't make you a good hitter.

No, but getting stronger will make a good hitter better. Remember how skinny Shammee and Manny Ramirez used to be? Maggs already was an excellent hitter, and IMHO his frame could support another 10-20 pounds of muscle easily. The same is true of Konerko. Its conceivable that adding muscle could turn a consistent 30HR guy into a consistent 40HR guy. Heck, Maggs had 38 HR last year and 25 SB only two years ago, so 40/30 certainly is not out of the question.

I guess I've been waiting for Maggs' rising production to level off. The scary (in a good way) thought is that it may keep rising.

kermittheefrog
02-24-2003, 04:58 PM
It's a nice fluff piece that Maggs deserves when Sammy gets tons of nice PR like that. There's really no reason to expect Maggs to be any better this season which isn't bad news because he's really really good.

doublem23
02-24-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Maggs pretty much stopped trying to steal bases last year. Anyone know why? I'm guessing they decided that the wear and tear of trying to steal 25-30 bases was not worth it; that they'd rather have him save his energy and strength over the course of the long season for mashing of the ball. If so, it worked.

And I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but that's 1500 posts for me.

Having Gary Pettis as a first base coach doesn't help.

fuzzy_patters
02-25-2003, 12:10 AM
I had a Yahoo fantasy draft today. FWIW, the yahoo predraft rankings had Maggs ahead of Sammy for the first time this year. I thought that was pretty cool.

Pete_SSAC
02-25-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
I had a Yahoo fantasy draft today. FWIW, the yahoo predraft rankings had Maggs ahead of Sammy for the first time this year. I thought that was pretty cool.

MLB also has Maggs in front of Sosa.

And I have a feeling that this season will mark a new era... one where Sammy is not longer the hero, and Maggs is the man.

Of course, it'll be hard to get good PR after Sammy runs over Darren Baker.

- Pete

Mammoo
02-25-2003, 02:04 PM
If the Sox go to the World Series (a very big if), M.O. will gain the superstar status he deserves.