PDA

View Full Version : Media's War Against the White Sox

Viva Magglio
02-23-2003, 03:00 PM
The media is using Frank Thomas' comments from yesterday in their never-ending effort to wage war against the White Sox. I am not defending what Frank said or anything like that, but the media is only exacerbating things with their reaction to what Frank said. One would think the White Sox are spiraling into disarray because of Frank Thomas. The meida is making this a much bigger issue than it really is, I believe.

Also, the media seems much quicker to condemn Frank Thomas than anyone else. Now I am not going to be a Frank defender here, but he should be treated with the same amount of scrtiny than others receive. Very legitimate arguments could be made that Frank Thomas is a selfish player, and the media wastes no time reminding us of that. Yet, we have made a proven the case that Sammy Sosa is a selfish player.

There are some in the media like Barry Rozner and Boers & Bernstein who agree that Sosa is selfish, but Sammy arrives in Mesa and proclaims that he will turn his boom box down. Oy! Now the media is fawning all over him. Let's say Frank Thomas was totally conciliatory in his remarks yesterday, which we was not. Do you think the media would be fawning all over him?

Frank Thomas is not the best position (or designated hitting) player on the White Sox anymore. That is Mágglio Ordóńez followed closely by Paul Konerko. Yet, Frank continues to be the most prominent player to the media, which eternally considers itself omnipotent in its own mind.

The media thrives on controversy. To them, a big mouthed Frank Thomas is more interesting to them than our playoff chances this season. And this will never change.

TornLabrum
02-23-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
The media is using Frank Thomas' comments from yesterday in their never-ending effort to wage war against the White Sox. I am not defending what Frank said or anything like that, but the media is only exacerbating things with their reaction to what Frank said. One would think the White Sox are spiraling into disarray because of Frank Thomas. The meida is making this a much bigger issue than it really is, I believe.

Also, the media seems much quicker to condemn Frank Thomas than anyone else. Now I am not going to be a Frank defender here, but he should be treated with the same amount of scrtiny than others receive. Very legitimate arguments could be made that Frank Thomas is a selfish player, and the media wastes no time reminding us of that. Yet, we have made a proven the case that Sammy Sosa is a selfish player.

There are some in the media like Barry Rozner and Boers & Bernstein who agree that Sosa is selfish, but Sammy arrives in Mesa and proclaims that he will turn his boom box down. Oy! Now the media is fawning all over him. Let's say Frank Thomas was totally conciliatory in his remarks yesterday, which we was not. Do you think the media would be fawning all over him?

Frank Thomas is not the best position (or designated hitting) player on the White Sox anymore. That is Mágglio Ordóńez followed closely by Paul Konerko. Yet, Frank continues to be the most prominent player to the media, which eternally considers itself omnipotent in its own mind.

The media thrives on controversy. To them, a big mouthed Frank Thomas is more interesting to them than our playoff chances this season. And this will never change.

And please let's all remember what the media's reaction was when Thomas didn't speak to them last year or at SoxFest less than a month ago. He was damned if he did and damned if he didn't.

Huisj
02-23-2003, 03:59 PM
i found it pathetic that the headline to an article on chicagosports said something like "thomas late to meeting" and the first half of the article was about how terrible he was for being late for the meeting, and then all the sudden it changes and says it was because he was having treatment done on his back. that kind of reporting is just sick. if someone's in a hurry and doesn't go through the whole article, it's all presented totally out of context. dishonest journalism.

ohalloran
02-23-2003, 04:19 PM
I'm not from the Chicagoland area. Is the anti-Sox bias a means of promoting yhe Cubs?

soxnut
02-23-2003, 04:30 PM
I'm not from the Chicagoland area. Is the anti-Sox bias a means of promoting yhe Cubs?

I think there are more in the media who are Cub fans, and therefore any time they get to dig at the Sox, they will take their opportunity. :(: