PDA

View Full Version : Thomas proves there is an I in Team!

MikeKreevich
02-23-2003, 08:58 AM
After reading Chicago's two dailies this mourning, I feel a whole lot less optimistic about the upcoming season. Frank Thomas is obviously holding grudges, and resents his meager $5.0 million dollar salary. If you were hoping for a determined Frank who would turn his career around, well, I think you will have to wait until he gets his head out of his arse.

oldcomiskey
02-23-2003, 09:06 AM
some of you here are really something.. You accuse the papers of priting anything from false opinions to damn lies=--then you believe every word of it

PaleHoseGeorge
02-23-2003, 09:09 AM
Frank needs to let his agent do all the talking to the press. Everything he says comes out the wrong way. The media loves piling on, too.

The Cubune's sports editor ran the headline "Frank Late For Meeting" in today's sports section. However, Greenstein's report notes that Frank had an "air-tight" alibi: he was GIVEN the last slot amongst ALL the team's position players to have a physical with the trainer. He entered the meeting straight from the trainer's room.

Tell me that wasn't a misleading headline.

These media dolts, err... make that sports editor dolts... are doing a masterful job stirring the pot. Frank is a complete stooge--and victim--of their need to sell build circulation and listener audience.

:ass
"Wait till I get through with him on Monday..."

TornLabrum
02-23-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Guzman's Goat
After reading Chicago's two dailies this mourning, I feel a whole lot less optimistic about the upcoming season. Frank Thomas is obviously holding grudges, and resents his meager $5.0 million dollar salary. If you were hoping for a determined Frank who would turn his career around, well, I think you will have to wait until he gets his head out of his arse.

The way I read Frank's responses, he answered each question about what has gone on in two parts: how things stood last year and how things stand now. "This is how I felt, and this is how I feel now." It's interesting that the emphasis in the reporting has been on the first part of the question. But then again, that's what sells papers and gets TV ratings, not "FRANK HAPPY WITH CURRENT SITUATION"

WinningUgly!
02-23-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Guzman's Goat

Frank should be pissed off & should be highly motivated by this. I've never seen a player get blasted as much as Frank Thomas has over the years for being honestestly answering questions!

Why is it when a guy like Charles Barkley acts basically the same way over his career, nobody has a problem with it?

Question: Does Frank Thomas still have deferred money coming to him from his old contract, or was all that scrapped when he signed this new deal this offseason?

RKMeibalane
02-23-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Why is it when a guy like Charles Barkley acts basically the same way over his career, nobody has a problem with it?

Actually, I think Barkley took a great deal of heat for his comments during his time in Philadelphia and Phoenix. It was only towards the end of his career that he finally managed to evade the evil media vultures.

Frank is just being honest, but I think he should be more careful about what he says to the media. I'm sure he is aware of the way they portray him in their articles and editorial columns. I'm sure Jay Mariotti will be hammering him again over the next few days.

EnricoPallazzo
02-23-2003, 10:27 AM
What idiot scheduled Frank last in the trainer's room? It wouldn't have taken a genius to know what would happen. Had he been scheduled first, we'd be reading about Frank being first out on the field. This organization should really make a 3 figure IQ a job requirement.

RKMeibalane
02-23-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by EnricoPallazzo
What idiot scheduled Frank last in the trainer's room? It wouldn't have taken a genius to know what would happen. Had he been scheduled first, we'd be reading about Frank being first out on the field. This organization should really make a 3 figure IQ a job requirement.

If they had set that requirement, Reinsdorf would have had to sell the team a long time ago.

duke of dorwood
02-23-2003, 10:32 AM
For any faults he has, Frank is honest . Honesty will only get you bashed on the SCORE. You must be a complete fake like they massive phoney on the North Side. Honesty only gets you in trouble these days.

EnricoPallazzo
02-23-2003, 10:34 AM
And another thing.

Barkley took plenty of heat during his playing days, but he has the verbal facility and sense of humor to deflect it.

I don't think we'll be seeing Frank hosting a talk show or doing stand up at the Krazy Kottage any time soon.

I've got four words for you Frank, Eddie Murray - Steve Carlton.

duke of dorwood
02-23-2003, 10:35 AM
When a jerk like Charles Barkley talks like that its OK-or any basketball player for that matter. THe more I think about this, the more I respect Frank for truthfully answering the questions asked to him .

EnricoPallazzo
02-23-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
For any faults he has, Frank is honest . Honesty will only get you bashed on the SCORE. You must be a complete fake like they massive phoney on the North Side. Honesty only gets you in trouble these days.

When your wife or girl friend asks you how she looks, do you say "Gee Gert, you've got more wrinkles than the Gosford Park plot, or "Let me back up a few feet so I can see all of you"?

Honesty does not necessitate stupidity.

TheBigHurt
02-23-2003, 10:56 AM
let BIG FRANK say what stupid things he has to say and just play the games, and everything will be fine

hsnterprize
02-23-2003, 12:10 PM
This is the story that's creating all the hub-bub in case anyone's interested... (http://http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030222soxthomas,1,5101789.story?coll=cs%2Dhome%2Dh eadlines)

You know...it's a shame that Frank can't be honest about how he feels without being scrutinized...or at least, given the perception that he's all in it for himself. I don't blame him necessarily for wanting to make as much as he can, nor do I blame him for wanting an explanation about why he was benched. All the "dirty laundry" Konerko and Wells aired out to the press only fueled this fire, and only a super-happy Thomas would somehow quelch that fury. Nonetheless, if Frank has a great year as many prognosticators are predicting, then all this silly chit-chat will cease.

Frank's a professional. He knows that all he can do is speak his mind, and then go out and play the game. His numbers will speak louder than his locker-room comments. Hopefully, they'll speak better about him then this instance.

KruseControl04
02-23-2003, 12:37 PM
Personally, I think Frank is an idiot. I know that the Cubune took most of what he said and twisted it to make it negative, but he still gave them all those quotes to work with. Like when he said he had "kids to support" and "a lifestyle to maintain," that was just plain idiocy. Frank, you're makig 5 million a year, how can you not support a family on that salary?!? Idiot...

TornLabrum
02-23-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by KruseControl04
Personally, I think Frank is an idiot. I know that the Cubune took most of what he said and twisted it to make it negative, but he still gave them all those quotes to work with. Like when he said he had "kids to support" and "a lifestyle to maintain," that was just plain idiocy. Frank, you're makig 5 million a year, how can you not support a family on that salary?!? Idiot...

Because it's hard to do that when he's used to a $10-million lifestyle? Perhaps that's the lifestyle he likes.

ohalloran
02-23-2003, 03:09 PM
It's still bad PR however honest it might be. Fans don't like hearing ballplayers whining about "only" making $5M a year. The Press loves it though.

jeremyb1
02-23-2003, 03:12 PM
i don't really care about frank being greedy. my concern is that from the sound of the article he has problems with paully and manuel in the present. that can definately be a chemistry problem.

idseer
02-23-2003, 04:07 PM
i think it's pretty funny how many are defending "frank's honesty".
complaining does not equal honesty. none of you have a clue about whether frank is in ANY way honest. but what he clearly is is stupid. as long as he's been a pro and the amount of trouble he has caused himself with his big mouth he STILL doesn't get it!

personally i just hope he's in shape and has a good year. but get used to this .... he's always been stupid, and he always will be stupid. i can't believe we (me included) thought he's really learned something this offseason.

RedPinStripes
02-23-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Because it's hard to do that when he's used to a $10-million lifestyle? Perhaps that's the lifestyle he likes.

Comments like that still piss off guys who dont even make 50,000 a year though. I woud like the life style of 10 mill too.

NewyorkSoxFan
02-23-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by idseer
i think it's pretty funny how many are defending "frank's honesty".
complaining does not equal honesty. none of you have a clue about whether frank is in ANY way honest. but what he clearly is is stupid. as long as he's been a pro and the amount of trouble he has caused himself with his big mouth he STILL doesn't get it!

personally i just hope he's in shape and has a good year. but get used to this .... he's always been stupid, and he always will be stupid. i can't believe we (me included) thought he's really learned something this offseason.

AMEN BROTHER!! I was home in Chi this past week, and it was good to be home, and the park looks great. But once again our friendly dolt of a DH says something stupid again. To watch him rant and look like an idiot again makes me wonder if he has all his marbles in tack. He couldn't just let the fire die, focus on the season, talk about his offseason work. No he rants on and on like a poor soul who has been disrespected by his team.

Funny he forgot all the other teams that wanted no part of him either. I hope my team wins because I love the Sox, but he makes me want to root against him, I wish so bad he was in another uniform. We are so desperate for a winner that we put up with his nonsense and some of you even make excuses and blame the media for his stupidity. But with any luck we will win the WS and Frank will ride off into the sunset.

NYSF

FanOf14
02-23-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Comments like that still piss off guys who dont even make 50,000 a year though. I woud like the life style of 10 mill too.

And girls for that matter! Thanks RPS for stating exactly what was on my mind.

joecrede
02-23-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
I hope my team wins because I love the Sox, but he makes me want to root against him, I wish so bad he was in another uniform.

We should be careful to judge which players we root for/root against based on Q/A sessions with the media. Remember Kirby Puckett was beloved by the media, but he turned out not to be such a good guy.

There's a chance there are worse people on the Sox than Thomas, but we may never know.

The moral is to judge baseball players in the confines of the baseball world only. Thomas is a great hitter and that is how he should be here.

RedPinStripes
02-23-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
We should be careful to judge which players we root for/root against based on Q/A sessions with the media. Remember Kirby Puckett was beloved by the media, but he turned out not to be such a good guy.

There's a chance there are worse people on the Sox than Thomas, but we may never know.

The moral is to judge baseball players in the confines of the baseball world only. Thomas is a great hitter and that is how he should be here.

He'll be gone after this season anyway if someone will give him a guarenteed raise.

Kilroy
02-23-2003, 09:00 PM
I see all is well in Sox-land. When the Love Frank, Hate Frank debate is going on, everything is just right...

Tragg
02-23-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
some of you here are really something.. You accuse the papers of priting anything from false opinions to damn lies=--then you believe every word of it

I think you have a point there, comiskey.