PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone care?


34rancher
02-23-2003, 09:46 AM
Does anyone care about what Frank says?

PaleHoseGeorge
02-23-2003, 10:01 AM
You know what great team chemistry is? Winning 95+ games. I would love the Sox to have the kind of chemistry the '74 A's had, or the '78 Yankees. They fought with themselves all the way to (multiple) world championships. That was some of the best damned chemistry I've ever seen!!! :smile:

The 2003 Sox need to win 95+ games. In that effort the Sox will be remarkably well served by Frank Thomas batting .300+, clubbing 30+ homeruns, driving in 100+ rbi's, and walking 100+ times. A non-injured Frank is clearly capable of all these things.

I've never heard of a losing team having "good chemistry"--though clearly there have been many through the years. Go ahead and tell me the '74 Dodgers and the '78 Red Sox wouldn't have traded in their "good chemistry" for a taste of what the "bad chemistry" teams that beat the **** out of them achieved.

Can the media finally stop being boy scouts about this subject? Oh, that's right... they need something to fill up column-inches in the paper and microphone time on sports blab radio. Nevermind.

Carry on...

TornLabrum
02-23-2003, 10:05 AM
Where were the media when Sammy Sosa loses $20,000 that was in a plastic bag? Where were the media when Sosa said the other day that he was "early" to camp when in fact he was simply on time. Where have the media been when Sosa puts on all that upper body mass and takes it off even faster?

Frank Thomas is Mr. Velcro while Sammy Sosa is Mr. Teflon.

duke of dorwood
02-23-2003, 11:40 AM
Anything said will be twisted by the media anyway. So, WHO CARES?

MarqSox
02-23-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
You know what great team chemistry is? Winning 95+ games. I would love the Sox to have the kind of chemistry the '74 A's had, or the '78 Yankees. They fought with themselves all the way to (multiple) world championships. That was some of the best damned chemistry I've ever seen!!! :smile:

The 2003 Sox need to win 95+ games. In that effort the Sox will be remarkably well served by Frank Thomas batting .300+, clubbing 30+ homeruns, driving in 100+ rbi's, and walking 100+ times. A non-injured Frank is clearly capable of all these things.

I've never heard of a losing team having "good chemistry"--though clearly there have been many through the years. Go ahead and tell me the '74 Dodgers and the '78 Red Sox wouldn't have traded in their "good chemistry" for a taste of what the "bad chemistry" teams that beat the **** out of them achieved.


Your point is well-taken, but I think few would argue that a team is MORE LIKELY to benefit from good chemistry than bad chemistry. Good chemistry can be what pushes a good team to greatness (2000 Sox) and what keeps a good team from achieving it (2001 Sox).

Obviously, other factors are more critical, but good chemistry is never a bad thing. Thomas should know this by now and just shut the heck up.

KruseControl04
02-23-2003, 01:45 PM
Thomas should learn to shut his mouth when it comes to talking to the media. It seems everything he has ever said to them has either been incredibly stupid, or twisted to look incredibly stupid.

bc2k
02-23-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by 34rancher
Does anyone care about what Frank says?

I don't think what he says in the papers affects his teammates as much as his day-to-day attitude. You can argue his teammates didn't appreciate his overall personality or his play on the field, but no teammate was really upset at what Frank spilled to the media.

cheeses_h_rice
02-23-2003, 01:58 PM
I am dismayed that Frank even felt the need to respond to so many so-called "bygones" during his interview. It's obvious he has the PR savvy of a Tourette's Syndrome victim on cocaine; he just can't keep his big fat mouth shut.

My advice to him would be to keep mostly quiet, decline to answer any questions about his contract, relationships with Manuel and Williams and Konerko, etc. and just say he "wants to win" and "will do anything for the team." All this other crap just puts fuel on the fire on a national stage (regardless of the veracity of the reporting, Thomas's talking about what happened in prior years is going to come across as Thomas talking about the 2003 White Sox to the casual viewer) and WILL distract the team, and be brought up every fricking time this club struggles this year.

It's a shame Frank is so messed up that he lets his mouth run like this, after seemingly learning what to do during the offseason. Oh well. I hope he has a monster year and most of this will become moot, but I have to say I'm incredibly disappointed.

SouthSideHitman
02-23-2003, 03:07 PM
Frank really needs to forgive and forget, but he is so sensative that he remembers every little thing and builds it up so that he always feels slighted. Then the media doesn't let anything die despite the Sox always having pretty good chemistry.

For example I heard Frank complain about,

1) his blowup with Pauly who was so surprised because he thought that that was six months over.

2) not being told about his three day July benching by JM.

3) Pauly's comments being a continuation of the david wells saga.

4) Pauly being jealous because Frank played first during interleague play in 2000!

With the Chicago media, Frank will never forget anything. I just hope it won't drive him away from the Sox after he bounces back this year because he'll never find any team that will treat him as a golden boy who should always get his way carte blanche.

gogosoxgogo
02-23-2003, 03:24 PM
This may sound a little confusing, but I don't care if Frank Thomas talks or not. In fact, I'd prefer if he wouldn't talk to the media at all. However, when he does talk to the media, I do care about what he says because he makes some really stupid comments. So yes and no.

TornLabrum
02-23-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
Frank really needs to forgive and forget, but he is so sensative that he remembers every little thing and builds it up so that he always feels slighted. Then the media doesn't let anything die despite the Sox always having pretty good chemistry.

For example I heard Frank complain about,

1) his blowup with Pauly who was so surprised because he thought that that was six months over.

2) not being told about his three day July benching by JM.

3) Pauly's comments being a continuation of the david wells saga.

4) Pauly being jealous because Frank played first during interleague play in 2000!

With the Chicago media, Frank will never forget anything. I just hope it won't drive him away from the Sox after he bounces back this year because he'll never find any team that will treat him as a golden boy who should always get his way carte blanche.

Remember that this was a press conference, which means that Thomas was answering questions! It could be that he was asked directly about how he is getting along with Konerko or Manuel or Kenny Williams. The way it read in every article to me, Frank answered, "This is how it was at the time, and this is how it is now, and yes, it still kind of bugs me." Perhaps he was even asked if these things still bothered him.

Since newspaper reports do not give a transcript of the Q&A and since radio and TV stations only give sound bites, we may never know.

Daver
02-23-2003, 03:33 PM
I think Frank would be be better off he went back to not talking to the media.

TornLabrum
02-23-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by daver
I think Frank would be be better off he went back to not talking to the media.

Except then the media would condemn him for that. Remember SoxFest less than a month ago?

gogosoxgogo
02-23-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Except then the media would condemn him for that. Remember SoxFest less than a month ago?

Yes, but overall, he would be better off. He gets blasted much more when he talks and the media can mis-quote and mis-interpret him.

MarqSox
02-23-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Yes, but overall, he would be better off. He gets blasted much more when he talks and the media can mis-quote and mis-interpret him.

He didn't get misquoted or misinterpreted when SportsCenter aired the interview last night. It was all right there. He said it.

I don't think the answer is Thomas boycotting the media; the answer is Thomas not saying stupid stuff. Because no matter how you cut it, he's saying stupid stuff. Sure, he gets treated worse than Sosa, but isn't the point. Thomas needs to just shut up, give the company line when asked and play baseball.

NC_sox_fan
02-23-2003, 04:01 PM
I wonder if Bill Clinton or Ari Fleischer would coach Frank on how to deal with the media? Both of them are really talented in answering questions and saying nothing (that makes sense). Do you think Frank could handle that?

SouthSideHitman
02-24-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Remember that this was a press conference, which means that Thomas was answering questions! It could be that he was asked directly about how he is getting along with Konerko or Manuel or Kenny Williams. The way it read in every article to me, Frank answered, "This is how it was at the time, and this is how it is now, and yes, it still kind of bugs me." Perhaps he was even asked if these things still bothered him.

Since newspaper reports do not give a transcript of the Q&A and since radio and TV stations only give sound bites, we may never know.

Yeah, but I know they didn't ask him about, say Paul's reaction to sitting in interleague in 2000. All I'm saying is that Thomas isn't forgetting any percieved slight and the media is just fanning the flames and warming their hands from them.

Kilroy
02-24-2003, 08:59 AM
This is just standard operating procedure for Chicago sports media when the Bulls suck, the Bears have nothing to talk about, DePaul blows, UIC hasn't the following to be worth talking about, and the Illini aren't tearing it up. When Chicago baseball starts, they run to camp and promptly lick Shammy's ass for doing nothing and saying nothing, and rip Frank for saying things that can be creatively edited to imply that Frank is just pissed off.

Think I'm exaggerating? Well take for example this little fact: We know that Frank talked about how he was happy with the moves the team made this off season, and that he was excited about the teams chances this year, etc. Yet has that been mentioned? A caller on the Score this morning called them out for not mentioning that, and Fred Huebner said that they had 15 sound bytes of Frank, and not one of them mentioned any of that stuff. They are focusing on anything negative, or anything they can imply negatives from.

A perfect example of that is this quote from Frank:

"I have kids to support and I have a lifestyle to support and I like living my lifestyle...

Reads like Frank is saying that he's unhappy w/ his pay and all that, right?? But not if you see the entire quote which was:

"I have kids to support and I have a lifestyle to support and I like living my lifestyle, but you have to earn that. So I've been slapped down a little, but I'm used to that. I'll come out fighting this year."

Is it just me, or does it sound quite a bit different in its entirety? So they'll keep making all the fuss about what a bad guy Frank is, and people will keep posting that he needs to just shut up, etc. I'll just wait for the first pitch, because all of this is just business as usual.

Hangar18
02-24-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
This is just standard operating procedure for Chicago sports media when the Bulls suck, the Bears have nothing to talk about, DePaul blows, UIC hasn't the following to be worth talking about, and the Illini aren't tearing it up. When Chicago baseball starts, they run to camp and promptly lick Shammy's ass for doing nothing and saying nothing, and rip Frank for saying things that can be creatively edited to imply that Frank is just pissed off.

Think I'm exaggerating? Well take for example this little fact: We know that Frank talked about how he was happy with the moves the team made this off season, and that he was excited about the teams chances this year, etc. Yet has that been mentioned? A caller on the Score this morning called them out for not mentioning that, and Fred Huebner said that they had 15 sound bytes of Frank, and not one of them mentioned any of that stuff. They are focusing on anything negative, or anything they can imply negatives from.

A perfect example of that is this quote from Frank:



Reads like Frank is saying that he's unhappy w/ his pay and all that, right?? But not if you see the entire quote which was:



Is it just me, or does it sound quite a bit different in its entirety? So they'll keep making all the fuss about what a bad guy Frank is, and people will keep posting that he needs to just shut up, etc. I'll just wait for the first pitch, because all of this is just business as usual. [/B]

EXCELLENT point Kilroy. this is what Im talking about. Where the Hell is Huepner in all this?

Kilroy
02-24-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
EXCELLENT point Kilroy. this is what Im talking about. Where the Hell is Huepner in all this?

Well, in Huebner's defense, he was supporting the caller's position, kind of making Murph realize that the guy was right. But he's not a Sox fan that backs the team, for sure. He should be pointing out what utter crap this all is, but he doesn't like Frank, so he joins right in with the bashers and Cub fans.

Honestly, its maddening. We've been talking for almost 10 years about how Frank says stupid things to the press, and its as if people are suprised by it AGAIN!!! Did anyone think he was going to be different this time? To Frank's credit, he has always said what he thinks. Personally I prefer that to some blowhard ass-wipe who just says what people want to hear (no one in particular in a sappy blue uni w/ yellow steriod eyes in mind).

In all honesty, Thomas didn't say anything wrong except what he said could be turned into a big mess over a bunch of nothing. Now we have people boo-hooing about team chemistry, and whining about how Thomas isn't a leader. News flash: Thomas has never been a team leader, and has never wanted to be a team leader, except in BA, RBI, HR, and runs scored.

Go, Frank. Be the kind of leader you wanna be. I'll be happy.

doublem23
02-25-2003, 12:04 AM
Hopefully he just lets his bat do the talking.