PDA

View Full Version : contol vs. command

southpaw40
02-23-2003, 09:37 AM
I have been a baseball (Sox) fan for 50 years,and like most everyone else have played the game. In the past few years, I have noticed a new term used by announcers and publications when describing pitchers. That term is "command". What does this mean, and how does it differ from "control"?
Thanks for your response.

hose
02-23-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by southpaw40
I have been a baseball (Sox) fan for 50 years,and like most everyone else have played the game. In the past few years, I have noticed a new term used by announcers and publications when describing pitchers. That term is "command". What does this mean, and how does it differ from "control"?
Thanks for your response.

I will take a stab at this.

Control is the ability to throw strikes.

Command is the ability to put the ball on any part of the plate to go after the weakness of each hitter.

Greg Maddox is the best example of a pitcher with command

guillen4life13
02-23-2003, 01:43 PM
I was always under the impression that command is like confidence in the pitches, and just having more finesse. I guess command is like a combination of confidence and control. For example, it's like a pitcher saying, "I'm definitely going to get that guy out right now, because I know his weak spot of the plate, and I know that this curveball is gonna hit that spot."

Just my take on it.

whitesoxwilkes
02-23-2003, 04:09 PM
Control is the ability to dominate the ball.

Command is the ability to dominate the batter.

maurice
02-24-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by hose

Command is the ability to put the ball on any part of the plate to go after the weakness of each hitter.

This is the explanation I have heard from JM and Hawk, so you can safely assume that this is what they mean when they use those words. It might mean something else to others.

baggio202
02-24-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by hose
I will take a stab at this.

Greg Maddox is the best example of a pitcher with command

i agree with hose..thats my explanation of command...ive heard it also explained as "control within the strike zone"...same thing

TheBigHurt
02-24-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Control is the ability to dominate the ball.

Command is the ability to dominate the batter.

GOOD JOB!!!!!

kermittheefrog
02-24-2003, 04:28 PM
Is it just me or is this a little to elaborate? They are synonyms...

maurice
02-24-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Is it just me or is this a little to elaborate? They are synonyms...

You would think, but JM regularly distinguishes the two in interviews. For example, if a pitcher is walking a lot of guys, JM would say he has problems with his control. If a pitcher is throwing strikes, but leaving too many balls up in the zone or over the middle of the plate, JM would say he lacks command of his pitches. Then again, this is coming from the manager who thought that Nardi was a good pitching coach.

hose
02-24-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
i agree with hose..thats my explanation of command...ive heard it also explained as "control within the strike zone"...same thing

I had command and control, what do y'use need to no 'bout it?

:hizzoner

duke of dorwood
02-24-2003, 11:24 PM
JM's pitching expertise is described in the fact that Nardi was his pitching coach. Nardi probably called it something like
"Contromand"